Coffee, Chapters & Christian YA discussion

General Announcements > NaNoWriMo!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela (new)

Angela (coffeechapters) | 162 comments Mod
Hey guys if you've seen Angela's video then you know we are no longer focusing on Renegades for November... instead... we are focusing on NaNoWriMo! Which is National Novel Writing Month! Melanie and I are doing it for the first time and we hope you guys join us! This is the disscusion for those of us who are. And if you are not doing NaNo or not writting WE STILL WANT YOU TO JOIN! We NEED readers! Tell us what you want in Christian YA fiction! What do you want to see changed!? All of us can join in this topic! So can't wait to chat with you guys about novel writing!

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Kilsby (realitywriter) | 107 comments Mod
Angela wrote: "Hey guys if you've seen Angela's video then you know we are no longer focusing on Renegades for November... instead... we are focusing on NaNoWriMo! Which is National Novel Writing Month! Melanie a..."

I love this! I am so excited and can't wait to discuss all things bookish :D

One thing I am looking forward to reading more is fairytale retellings set in history!!!

You?

message 3: by Angela (new)

Thats so exciting! I love seeing how many ppl are commenting on that video and joining us! yay!

message 4: by Melanie (last edited Oct 25, 2017 09:33AM) (new)

Are you joining in the fun of writing?
If so, what genre of a book are you writing?

Is it something you have always wanted to do and is your first time?

Did you already have a book idea ready?

Have you got your main plot idea done?
Do you story board your book?

How is it all going so far as we gear up for the actual event?

message 5: by M. A. (new)

M. A. Hickman (mahickman) | 1 comments I am going to be joining in nano this year. Im looking forward to finally finishing my first draft to my first novel. I have no clue what i am doing but I am having a blast.

message 6: by Melanie (new)

M. A. wrote: "I am going to be joining in nano this year. Im looking forward to finally finishing my first draft to my first novel. I have no clue what i am doing but I am having a blast."

That is SO exciting to hear and we are all just wading into unknown waters I think, so I am glad you are taking the chance and writing your first novel :D We'll be by your side to encourage you along the way!

message 7: by Melanie (last edited Nov 01, 2017 09:35AM) (new)

So here is a Quote to get you encouraged to write now that NaNoWriMo 2017 has officially started!!!!

Someday, we want to read your #book.
We want to clutch it to our chests;
Run our fingers along every page.
We believe you can get there.

Tweet courteous of @WriteRebellious

message 8: by Melanie (new)

I wanted to share Jill Williamson's great tip that she just posted on Youtube about making readers care about your characters. Such a great tip!!!

https://youtu.be/44HGGCh7XBw

Also, I just read an article from Publisher's Weekly that NaNoWriMo is big for writers and it helps Publishers, too.

Here is the link:
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...

Many authors got inspired and or wrote the books they ended up publishing because of doing NaNoWriMo.

So don't wait, get writing people :D

message 9: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia_r) | 8 comments Yay, NaNo's here!! Did you all get your words in for today? I was able to get 2k in within two hours, so I'm very pleased about that :)

This is the first time I've commented on here! I'm Olivia and I'm an MK, book lover, writer, teacher, and lover of all things vintage :D

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Olivia wrote: "Yay, NaNo's here!! Did you all get your words in for today? I was able to get 2k in within two hours, so I'm very pleased about that :)

This is the first time I've commented on here! I'm Olivia a..."

That is excellent, Olivia!
I wrote just over 1000 today. But gotta start helping kids now :D

message 11: by Angela (new)

Olivia wrote: "Yay, NaNo's here!! Did you all get your words in for today? I was able to get 2k in within two hours, so I'm very pleased about that :)

This is the first time I've commented on here! I'm Olivia a..."

Heeey Welcome and yes sorry I'm late to the party I'm so bad for responding in good time on here! Welcome Olivia!
I've finally hit 3k I'm so happy and kinda behind lol!

So what types of books are people writing? What kinda genre's are we looking at here?

message 12: by Melanie (new)

Marklessgirl wrote: "I'm writing an urban fantasy!"

That sounds cool!
After Sara Ella's first book, I was hoping to read more of that.

What is your inspiration?

message 13: by Melanie (new)

So though I am not where you are technically "supposed" to be, I am happy with my progress so far. I am just over 7000 words.

How is everyone else doing for word count?
Are you able to write everyday?

message 14: by Olivia (last edited Nov 07, 2017 02:21AM) (new)

Olivia (olivia_r) | 8 comments Angela wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Yay, NaNo's here!! Did you all get your words in for today? I was able to get 2k in within two hours, so I'm very pleased about that :)

This is the first time I've commented on her..."

Thanks Angela!! :D

I'm writing Christian fiction book set in the early 1960s. So there are some historical twists, and the main theme is that every moment matters. I know it's kind of vague, but my brain can't put my thoughts together very well right now ;)

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia_r) | 8 comments Melanie wrote: "So though I am not where you are technically "supposed" to be, I am happy with my progress so far. I am just over 7000 words.

Are you able to write every..."

Yayy! I've been noticing your word count on NaNo and silently cheering you on. Great job!!!

I reached 14k yesterday...I really didn't expect to get that far by day six, so I'm pretty pleased. I'm skipping Sundays (just because I need one day where I can just breathe ;)), but writing all the other days :)

message 16: by Melanie (new)

Olivia wrote: "Melanie wrote: "So though I am not where you are technically "supposed" to be, I am happy with my progress so far. I am just over 7000 words.

Are you abl..."

THAT IS AWESOME!!!

I wish I had more time. Even this morning. I have a moment. But the background gets really noisy and somehow it becomes hard to write lol!

I am so happy for you though <3

message 17: by Melanie (new)

Make sure to buddy me and Angela if you are doing NaNoWriMo everyone :D

message 18: by Angela (new)

Yes I need NaNo buddies! My user name is Coffee&Chapters! I want to buddy with you guys! and wow... you are all a head of me! and these sound amazing!
I guess mine is Mideveal fantasy, I'm trying to tie in elments of the Arthrian ledgends making it more fantastical rather then historical.

message 19: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 5 comments I have been working on reediting some books, so I probably won't be able to do NaNoWriMo this year..... :,( But if I somehow get done with my reediting before the end of November, I might join late in the game. If that happens, then I probably won't get 50,000 words written, but every word counts. ;)

By the way, everyone's books they are writing sounds really cool!

Olivia, your 1960 book sounds interesting. I love the idea that every moment matters!

Marklessgirl, I love to read books in the urban fantasy genre. I haven't read very many yet, but can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Angela, ohhh, an Arthrian legend Medieval fantasy! This sounds like it would be fun to read!

Melanie, I have been following your tweets on Twitter and can't wait to hear more about your fairy-tale retellings!

message 20: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia_r) | 8 comments Angela wrote: "Yes I need NaNo buddies! My user name is Coffee&Chapters! I want to buddy with you guys! and wow... you are all a head of me! and these sound amazing!
I guess mine is Mideveal fantasy, I'm trying ..."

Angela, I added you as my buddy ;) My username is OMR!

message 21: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia_r) | 8 comments Great work on the word counts, everyone!! And I love the variety of stories that are being written :)

message 22: by Melanie (last edited Nov 08, 2017 09:20AM) (new)

Grace wrote: "I have been working on reediting some books, so I probably won't be able to do NaNoWriMo this year..... :,( But if I somehow get done with my reediting before the end of November, I might join late..."

Thanks for the great words of encouragement!

I used NaNo once for a rewrite, the words counted towards my personal end goal. Not so much for a NaNoWriMo goal and I never won, but it helped motivate me. Which is always good :D

With your book Grace, we almost have all of the YA genres covered! Sci-fi, Urban fantasy, Medieval fantasy, Fairytale Retelling and Historical Fiction...

We just need a contemporary and maybe a suspense now and we will be the next generation of writers for Christian Fiction!

EEEEKkkkkk!

message 23: by Angela (new)

OOOH thats awesome guys! Melanie you gave me goosebumps!

Ok so I was inspired by Melanie guys I'm going to take a turn at running some writing sprints over on the book club Twitter @CCChristianYA so make sure to come on by I will not be there until after job two so they will be for the night owls... or mid day depending on where you are I guess! See you then!

message 24: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls) (booksforchristiangirls) | 1 comments This is all so fun, y'all! I'm not doing NaNo this year, but have been enjoying see y'all's updates! *waves pom-poms* :)
Miss Melanie, the majority of my books are contemporary, so if I ever get them written I can help with that genre! Haha! ;)

message 25: by Angela (new)

Yay now we have it all covered lol! Thanks Linsey for your cheers!

So gang I know I said I'd be on twitter tonight but I'm very tired from Job #2 but If you guys wanna do some Twitter sprints as a book club over the weekend I can totally do that!

message 26: by Grace (new)

Grace Morris | 5 comments Melanie wrote: "Grace wrote: "I have been working on reediting some books, so I probably won't be able to do NaNoWriMo this year..... :,( But if I somehow get done with my reediting before the end of November, I m..."

Oh that is so cool!!! Having a generation of YA Christian writers in every genre is awesome!

message 27: by Angela (new)

You guys wanna do some twitter NaNo sprints tonight! I'll be over on our twitter @CCChristianYA

message 28: by Melanie (new)

Just wondering how everyone is doing so far for Nano? If you haven't noticed, the lovely Angela, has been adding great Vlog updates of her experience. I haven't done that yet.

Honestly, I am in a slump. When I have time, I am tired and out of my creative juices so-to-speak :D So, currently I am at 15, 000 words or so and am feeling a bit despaired.

Some encouragement for those who are in the same garbage dump as me:

KEEP GOING!
Any bit counts. Maybe try going back a chapter, editing it and get the momentum and inspiration to keep going!

IF YOU DON'T WIN, THAT'S OKAY!
You have won already by starting a new book.

DON'T LET THE LACK OF WORD COUNT STOP YOU FROM WRITING YOUR STORY!
Nano, for me, is where I start, it is not where I finish and this keeps my hopes up!

Hopefully yours too :D
<3 <3 <3

message 29: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia_r) | 8 comments Melanie wrote: "Just wondering how everyone is doing so far for Nano? If you haven't noticed, the lovely Angela, has been adding great Vlog updates of her experience. I haven't done that yet.

Honestly, I am in a..."

Thank you SOOO much for this, Melanie!! The best encouragement to give this month!! :D

I'm quite zapped with words ;) The Lord gave me the strength to reach 50k on Monday (which I still quite believe because usually I NEVER reach it that early), but I'm still going until I finish the book this month!!

Girls, you can do this!! Keep writing, word by word!!!

message 30: by Angela (new)

still only sitting at 20k but I'm so happy with this and learning what it takes to write a book... I hope that I will keep it up and not quit after NaNo... I'm making it a goal to get this book done and you guys can help keep me on target!

message 31: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia_r) | 8 comments Angela wrote: "still only sitting at 20k but I'm so happy with this and learning what it takes to write a book... I hope that I will keep it up and not quit after NaNo... I'm making it a goal to get this book don..."

*cheers* You're doing great!! Keep at it, Angela :)

message 32: by Angela (new)

thank you!

message 33: by Melanie (new)

Marklessgirl wrote: "From were I am at I know, I will not make it to 5000 words, but I am so happy with all that I did do and I know I will want to keep going even more! And 5000 was never really my goal, I don't think..."

It is really great to see and hear where everyone is at so far :D
Great encouragement!