Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > sept 2017 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1215 comments I had a good month with books from reliably entertaining authors along with the monthly group read which was different than my usual fare. Here are my September reads:

Top Reads

The Indian Bride (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #5) by Karin Fossum The Indian Bride
Karin Fossum
Another compelling entry in this excellent psychological suspense/police procedural series set in Norway. A murder of an Indian woman in a small rural town brings in Inspector Sejer to investigate and the inhabitants can not believe it could have been committed by a local. Lots of fascinating characters and motivations.

Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer Rubbernecker
Belinda Bauer
When I read the description of this book I was not sure it would be my thing but, just as with the author's previous works, I found it excellent. The characterizations were all very well done, loved the writing style, and found the plot quite compelling.

Good Reads

Nothing Stays Buried (Monkeewrench, #8) by P.J. Tracy Nothing Stays Buried
P.J. Tracy
Not the most original plot, but it is always fun to spend time with the Monkeewrench crew and the Minneapolis detective duo they work with.

Stolen Souls (Jack Lennon Investigations #3) by Stuart Neville Stolen Souls
Stuart Neville
Not quite as good as the previous two books in the series. Pretty standard plot that could have taken place in any EU country so I felt the fascinating Belfast setting was a bit wasted. The writing flowed well though and the audio narration by Gerard Doyle was excellent.

Half of Paradise by James Lee Burke Half of Paradise
James Lee Burke
Well written early work with many of the familiar Burke trademarks including descriptive writing, character names that were recycled in other books, and nutrias. The plot was quite depressing though and the narration on the audio by Mark Zeisler was not much more than adequate.

Escape Clause (Virgil Flowers, #9) by John Sandford Escape Clause
John Sandford
While the plot was a bit out there, this was another fun adventure featuring Virgil Flowers with some great support from the crew from the BCA. Listened to the audio version which was read by Eric Conger.

The Fact of a Body A Murder and a Memoir by Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir
Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich
I do not usually read many books about real life crimes but I thought this combination memoir/true crime was an interesting look at crime, punishment, and forgiveness. I did think the book was a bit too long though and was not a big fan of the narration which was by the author.

Awakening by Sharon Bolton Awakening
Sharon Bolton
I found this to be an enjoyably creepy read though thought it was a bit too long. The small English village setting along with the snake lore were quite interesting and I liked the heroine even when I was wondering about the smartness of some of her actions.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1639 comments I need to catch up with the Monkeewrench group!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14609 comments Nice month Sandi!
The group read, The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir was rather different, but yes, definitely interesting.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3626 comments Good month!