Need a good historical romance. Other genres too. discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General > General discussion for our wonderful HR readers.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 8,399 (8399 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 167 168

message 1: by HR-ML (new)

HR-ML (hr-movielover) | 2090 comments Mod
Please join in!

message 2: by HR-ML (new)

Is anyone besides me watching Poldark seas #3 on PBS?

message 3: by HR-ML (new)

Should the author put the time period on the 1st chapter
of the story? How do you feel when she/he does not?

message 4: by HappyBookWorm2020 (last edited Oct 08, 2017 12:19PM) (new)

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments Since this is general discussion, and we have had yet *another* hurricane blow through, I'll ask how our members who live in the area affected by Nate have fared?

I live in central Alabama, and in my area we appear to have gotten off lightly - except for people who have trees that fell. I couldn't find out how much rain fell in the area but my pool was about an inch low and now it isn't. A news site said 2-4 inches over the central part of the state, and one man reported he had 3 1/2 inches in his rain gauge. I may put a bucket out - can't believe our news sources no longer report rain average for the city. :grumble:

I have been reading some contemporary recently, but did read Angelique and the Pursuit of Destiny last night and enjoyed it immensely. I know it was recommended here (at Amazon) by several posters.

I wish we could see that couple in another book one day. Come to think of it, I wrote the same thing about the last book of hers that I read. Possibly it is a sign of a good writer to leave you wanting to know more about what comes next for the characters after the end of the book.

message 5: by HappyBookWorm2020 (last edited Oct 08, 2017 12:27PM) (new)

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments HR-MovieLover wrote: "Should the author put the time period on the 1st chapter
of the story? How do you feel when she/he does not?"

Generally speaking, I find that I pick it up through dress, speech and customs, and sometimes through a mention of a known figure of the time or historical events (Waterloo, for example). For example, although it has been a while, I don't remember Georgette Heyer going out of her way to establish dates.

Sometimes a character will mention a date. I'm okay with having it done that way, although having it mentioned in the book blurb would be good also.

ETA I have noticed I generally have a good idea of when Carla Kelly's books take place.

ETA please don't challenge me on the Carla Kelly dates question. I can barely give you todays's date! I miss my memory. I had a good one.

message 6: by HR-ML (new)

HBW2020----

I feel for victims of all the hurricanes and the earthquake in
Mexico. Wishing the US would send linemen to Puerto Rico to restore power. I cannot imagine being w/o shelter, clean water, food, clothes, medications. Transport an issue also. Could Doctors W/O Borders and the Ship Hope provide help also? Sent Red Cross $ & now by friend relayed there was a RC executive caught in a scandal a few yrs back? Involving a private jet? I need to
Google this.

message 7: by HR-ML (last edited Oct 08, 2017 01:08PM) (new)

HBW2020----

I agree that the book can make reference to Prinny or an event
in hx, to acclimate the reader. One romance made no mention
of cars, trains, social media, clothing. It had a city, mountains,
an area near the water. It turned out to be a CR in South
Africa! Was the 1ST time I read a novel in that country.

message 8: by OLT (new)

OLT | 1532 comments Re Puerto Rico. Things are still not so good there. More generators and fuel are arriving so there will be more households with power even though the grids are still down. Central Florida has a large community of Puerto Ricans and many are doing all they can to bring their relatives here to mainland U.S. Situation on the island is still pretty grim. Two months to go until hurricane season dies down. Oh, how I hope it doesn't last into the end of the year. We've had enough.

message 9: by HR-ML (last edited Oct 26, 2017 08:11PM) (new)

Hi All----

A sad day. Our good friend, more like the son we never had, woke up this morning to find his cat dead. The cat, Mo, was strictly an inside cat. He called me up weeping, but I recognized his voice. I never heard him that sad. His home was just he and the cat. We had Mo about a month as a kitten, but he kept tackling ( as cats do) our other cat, who we discovered had a heart condition. So this dear friend provided Mo with a forever home.

message 10: by HR-ML (new)

OLT-----
I gave $ to an international non-profit toward the relief effort and I have prayed. But it does not seem enough. Many victims were w/o
flood insurance too. Does the world have a future of ferocious
storms?

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments HR-MovieLover wrote: "Hi All----

A sad day. Our good friend, more like the son we never had, woke up this morning to find his cat dead. The cat, Mo, was strictly an inside cat. He called me up weeping, but I recognized..."

Movielover, I am sorry for your friend's loss. It's hard to lose a companion animal. Here is hoping that he will eventually open his home and heart to another animal in need. It doesn't replace them in the heart but there is always room for one more in there.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments ML and OLT, About Puerto Rico, it is a nightmare. From what I read, roads and bridges are gone and trees are down. How do you clean up when you can't get to it? And roads and bridges take time to repair and replace. And heavy equipment. I have been especially concerned about young children and the possible lack of clean water.

OLT, I'm also praying that the rest of this hurricane season is quieter. I am afraid this is our future, much as I hate it.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments HR-MovieLover wrote: "HBW2020----

of cars, trains, social media, clothing. It had a city, mou..."

MovieLover, that romance must have been frustrating! That's not fair to the reader.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments Not sure where to put it, and several of us have the JF book, but there were a couple of sales at least some of us might be interested in:

I got this one for the Carla Kelly:
Western Christmas Proposals: Christmas Dance with the Rancher\Christmas in Salvation Falls\The Sheriff's Christmas Proposal - small price drop to 3.99.

Pumpymuckles 99 cents, Jayne Fresina

Not HR but if anyone here likes Penny Watson, she has a bunch of books for sale for 99 cents to 1.99.

message 15: by HR-ML (new)

HappyBookWorm2020 wrote: "HR-MovieLover wrote: "Hi All----

A sad day. Our good friend, more like the son we never had, woke up this morning to find his cat dead. The cat, Mo, was strictly an inside cat. He called me up wee..."

My husband and I had the cat Mo about a month, we discovered our other cat had a heart condition. So we could not keep Mo. Our good friend gave Mo a forever home about 10 yrs. So we all 3 are sad. thanks for your kind words. I called him Mo-boy.

message 16: by HR-ML (new)

HappyBookWorm2020 wrote: "HR-MovieLover wrote: "HBW2020----

of cars, trains, social media, clothi..."

HBW2020---
It is frustrating to not get your bearings when reading a book.
One time could not figure the setting in the story, It turned
out to be South Africa. Sorry if repeat info.

message 17: by HR-ML (last edited Nov 02, 2017 09:59AM) (new)

HR-ish era Kindle freebies today:

Jane Austen: The Complete Novels
Little Women
Vanity Fair
The Woman in White a mystery
Highland Desires by Ainsley Cameron
The Trials: A Pride and Prejudice Story by Timothy Underwood

Link not working for the last 2 .

message 18: by HR-ML (last edited Nov 05, 2017 11:03AM) (new)

Free Kindle books ( I've not read):

Falling for the Clan Leader: Highlander Historical Romance
Laiden's Daughter
Marrying Miss Marshal
The Wren
Love's Unfading Light by Naomi Rawlings ( Christian)

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments Found a couple of books with the most unlikely plots, but I'll put them out here in case someone might like them. Possibly I am being unkind as I haven't read them; they may be good.

Unlaced From the description, young woman participating in the season is hoping to gain some ... veterinarian training. Free.

The Rakehell's Seduction 99 cents - this heroic gentleman is going to seduce the young woman ... for her own good.

Here are some goodies, thank heavens, I was giving up:

Seducing Mr. Sykes one of the Cotswold Confidential books, still 99 cents

A Christmas set that includes a story by Maggie Robinson:
Once Upon a Christmas 99 cents

Another (contemporary) Maggie Robinson but there is a lord, also 99 cents. The story, not the lord.
All Through the Night: a holiday story

message 20: by HR-ML (new)

Happy Thanksgiving a day early! Have fun and stay safe.

message 21: by Roberta2 (new)

Roberta2 | 1260 comments Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Hope you have a relaxing day with family.

message 22: by HR-ML (last edited Nov 22, 2017 12:33PM) (new)

Sorry to say, if Unlaced was free, you should be paid to read it instead. I did an Amazon review on that one. ML.

message 23: by OLT (new)

OLT | 1532 comments Just popping in to say Happy Thanksgiving to all. Since I live in Palm Beach County FL, we have the delight of You-Know-Who's presence until Sunday. God bless us everyone.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments Gee, OLT, you aren't enthused about motorcades, secret service and a possible brush with great ego?

Everyone, I wish you a wonderful Thanksgiving. We are going to my mother-in-law's house with a tiny, tiny smoked turkey breast. I have almost no shame but gotta admit, I'm blushing a bit. My husband said it was the largest one they had.

message 25: by HappyBookWorm2020 (last edited Nov 22, 2017 10:56PM) (new)

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments HR-MovieLover wrote: "Sorry to say, if Unlaced was free, you should be paid to read it instead. I did an Amazon review on that one. ML."

Thanks for the warning. I may have already read this book - I remember a historical romance where the heroine liked to treat horses. I finished it but had no desire to re-read it. I liked your review.

message 26: by HR-ML (new)

HappyBookWorm2020 wrote: "HR-MovieLover wrote: "Sorry to say, if Unlaced was free, you should be paid to read it instead. I did an Amazon review on that one. ML."

Thanks for the warning. I may have already read this book -..."

Thanks. ML.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments For US-ers, hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving, and Black Friday shopping if you do that). It was yes to Thanksgiving and no to shopping for us.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments This is not historical romance, but I started it today and am half way through, and have laughed so often. It's fascinating reading and well worth reading.

Medicine Men: Extreme Appalachian Doctoring free

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments Hey, there is an echo in here. You guys all knocked out from too much turkey?

message 30: by HR-ML (last edited Nov 29, 2017 08:35AM) (new)

HBW2020-----

Sorry I've been reading a Wallstreet non-fiction ( complicated
& need to get back to it), then a mystery, now a HR. And husband
has an art show this weekend. I'm lending moral support. His
painting is my profile pic on romancebooklovers. I will switch
profile pic paintings in Dec. So proud of his talent.

message 31: by OLT (new)

OLT | 1532 comments MovieLover, how romantic to have an artist husband. (At least it seems romantic to me, who's married longtime to a businessman.)

Anybody else reading or planning to read Loretta Chase's A Duke in Shining Armor? I'm a bit disappointed so far, perhaps because it's a road-trip romance and that's not a favorite plot for me. And hasn't Chase written at least two, maybe three, other road romances? Even my very favorite authors are starting to let me down.

message 32: by Danker (new)

Danker | 831 comments I can’t get the new Chase yet, unless I buy it in paper. Which is a shame. I refuse to take notice of your reservations OLT.

message 33: by Danker (new)

Danker | 831 comments Moving to Goodreads has saved me loads of money and given me many more hours in the day. I’m buying and reading 10% of what I once did.

message 34: by OLT (new)

OLT | 1532 comments Yay, It's Danker. Yes, go ahead and ignore me. Most everything is making me grumpy again in romance. I have found a few mysteries to my liking, but only just.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments OLT wrote: "MovieLover, how romantic to have an artist husband. (At least it seems romantic to me, who's married longtime to a businessman.)

Anybody else reading or planning to read Loretta Chase's [book:A Du..."

OLT, I'm planning to read it when the price drops. I don't mind waiting for it, particularly since I have unread preordered books that came out two years ago.

message 36: by OLT (new)

OLT | 1532 comments How about Fresina's newest? The Mutinous Contemplations of Gemma Groot. It's not one of her more romantic romances, more a story about family and familial relationships and secrets and repressed memories. Her usual good writing.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments Danker wrote: "Moving to Goodreads has saved me loads of money and given me many more hours in the day. I’m buying and reading 10% of what I once did."

Danker, heh. Me too. I am buying less paid books and buying more freebies that I may want to read. I'll admit that I do give a passing thought to the fact that storing my free purchase will give Amazon some additional costs, which causes me (no) pain.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments HR-MovieLover wrote: "HBW2020-----

Sorry I've been reading a Wallstreet non-fiction ( complicated
& need to get back to it), then a mystery, now a HR. And husband
has an art show this weekend. I'm lending moral suppo..."

ML, that's really neat, to have talent in the family.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments I swapped emails with suzmay last night, and gave her the link to this place. I hope she may visit us one day.

She is doing okay, and asked if many of the old crew were over here.

message 40: by HR-ML (last edited Nov 29, 2017 06:08PM) (new)

Welcome Danker!!!!!! You add 'joy de vive' to the already classy folks who post here. We have missed you!

Do we have a 'jump ball' situation over L. Chase?? LOL! I used to live for HS basketball.

message 41: by HR-ML (last edited Nov 29, 2017 06:06PM) (new)

OLT wrote: "MovieLover, how romantic to have an artist husband. (At least it seems romantic to me, who's married longtime to a businessman.)

Anybody else reading or planning to read Loretta Chase's [book:A Du..."

OLT, my spouse is an artist on the side. He sold a $500 painting
at his last art show. He's working on a series of paintings on WWF
endangered species, IE jaguars, cheetahs, tiny birds & turtles.

We need business people for goods IE food, clothing, movies, books, snow boots ( just received in mail). And services too.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments OLT wrote: "How about Fresina's newest? The Mutinous Contemplations of Gemma Groot. It's not one of her more romantic romances, more a story about family and familial relationships and secrets ..."

Hmmm. That's an interesting way of solving your marital conflicts - except that it requires making pastry and cooking. .

message 43: by Roberta2 (new)

Roberta2 | 1260 comments Danker, Welcome back! Just got back from book club. We read Hillbilly Elegy which was an interesting read but not that great. He isn't that good of a writer but it made for a good discussion. Then we were off and running on the latest harasser--every day a new name. That took longer than the book discussion.

How wonderful to have an artist in the family. My daughter and I once went to one of those painting evenings for non artists. We had a blast and actually painted because we consumed a few glasses of wine. Loved my painting until I looked at it the next morning cold sober. lol

message 44: by Roberta2 (new)

Roberta2 | 1260 comments Haven't read Fresina's latest yet. Adding it to my to buy list.

Had a nice Thanksgiving. Hope everyone else who celebrates it did as well.

message 45: by Roberta2 (new)

Roberta2 | 1260 comments Oh, I just checked and apparently I had pre-ordered the Loretta Chase book. I will probably read it this weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

Also, I made a mistake and bought The Duchess Deal--I seem to recall OLT, that you had given this a 2 or 3 star review. I should have listened to you--it was so meh that I barely remember it, and I only read it last week.

message 46: by Roberta2 (new)

Roberta2 | 1260 comments Keep those HR reviews and recommendations coming. I really need some happy endings right now.

message 47: by HR-ML (last edited Nov 30, 2017 09:21PM) (new)

Roberta2-----

My late- brother was a photographer, Mom did watercolors and
designed crewel-work rugs & Mom's BIL was an art professor. My sister designed jewelry before her dementia ruined her concentration. My only art talent is dabbling
w/ collages.

On my husband's side, his late- Dad, Aunt , & Uncle all had artistic talent.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments HR-MovieLover wrote: "Roberta2-----

My late- brother was a photographer, Mom did watercolors and
designed crewel-work rugs & Mom's BIL was an art professor. My sister designed jewelry before her dementia ruined her co..."

MovieLover, one of my sister paints very well - I have a number of her landscapes which I treasure. My mother did crewel work and made lovely afghans and also made 9-patch quilts, some of them out of our old clothes. She would back them with colorful flannel. Instead of 'quilting' them, she would use embroidery floss and take a stitch all the way through the quilt, and tie it off with about an inch and a half of the colorful floss showing on top. They are lovely quilts.

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments I'm reading mostly contemporary romance right now, after reading quite a few historical romance books in a row.

I bought my Christmas present just now, a 12 month kindle unlimited membership which will take up when my current one ends. (It was discounted 33%.) There are some good authors I like who have their books in the program so I can usually find several books a month to read. Georgette Heyer books are also available in the KU program.

I like contemporary writers Rosalind James, Barbara Longley, Anne Cleeland, and Susie Tate (among others) and even their new releases are available in the program.

message 50: by HappyBookWorm2020 (last edited Dec 02, 2017 10:51AM) (new)

HappyBookWorm2020 | 2866 comments I am working on my Kindle Unlimited book list, as some of the books I have in there are dropping out of the program. What are you guys reading?

I'd read only about half of The Revolt of Sarah Perkins before I had to return my interlibrary loan. I couldn't renew that one and have applied for the book from another library. My bad - Thanksgiving, and also, I didn't want to take the book out of the house or have it anywhere around the dog or the cats. That limited the amount of time I had to read it.

Anyway, I highly recommend it for the glimpse into the past that it gives us. While I have no way to gauge the accuracy, I was riveted by even the description of the refreshments for a wedding reception - a cake and bowls of popcorn on the good table cloth - another table for a large bowl of punch (spiked with a couple of bottles of whiskey) with a ordinary tablecloth because of the spills.
None of the guests would dance until the minister and his family left. Uh, the story is also good.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 167 168
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.