The Sword and Laser discussion

Sword and Laser's 10 year Anniversary

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Oct 08, 2017 12:51AM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3532 comments Mod
Congratulations to Veronica and Tom on 10 years of the Sword and Laser book club,

You have built a fabulous community around your and our love of Fantasy and Sci-Fi books

It is hard to pin down the exact date S&L started.

Was it Oct 8th 2007 when Veronica created the S&L blog
https://web.archive.org/web/200710270...

For the kids, Pownce was an ancient short-lived social network. 'Pownce Me' isn't a creepy come-on line ;-)

or was it Oct 15th when Veronica created the S&L Ning Forum
http://swordandlaser.com/home/2007/10...

S&L Ning Forum; (From Wayback Machine)
https://web.archive.org/web/200710170...

or was it Oct 16th with the announcement of the first S&L Book pick
http://swordandlaser.com/home/2007/10...

or was it some previous unknown date when Veronica and Tom decided to start this adventure we've all gone on together.

Whenever it was, it has been 10 years, 110 books (101 picks and 9 alternates), many hundreds of hours of audio and video podcasts with many great interviews, many thousands of words mispronounced, many litres (or gallons) of alcohol consumed, many Quicks Burnt and Swords Bared and uncountable numbers of memorable moments on the forums (both here and on Ning)

HAPPY 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY and may we all have many more :-)

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena Congratulations!

message 3: by Kev (new)

Kev (sporadicreviews) | 639 comments Wow! Ten years?! Congrats!
Looking forward to ten more!

message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

From the Sword and Laser Wiki, here is:

"A Brief History of Sword and Laser"

(Dates given are blog entry announcements or date podcast posted)

Unknown Date Tom Merritt and Veronica Belmont decide to start a Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Club

Oct 8, 2007 Sword and Laser blog created by Veronica

Oct 15, 2007 Sword and Laser Ning Forum created by Veronica

Oct 16, 2007 First book to be read, The Golden Compass is announced

Feb 4, 2008 The first Sword and Laser podcast: Discussing Book 4 Neuromancer

Jan 15, 2009 Veronica lems Lem (Podcast confession)

May 23, 2009 The first guest interview: Rick Klau, product manager at Blogger

Sep 8, 2009 The first author interview and live podcast: Timothy Zahn at DragonCon (Sep 4, 2009)

Mar 5, 2010 Sword and Laser moves from Ning forums to Goodreads

Mar 17, 2012 Sword and Laser join Geek and Sundry to make a new video show

Apr 13, 2012 The first S&L Video episode with Scott Sigler

May 2, 2012 Sword and Laser Wiki started

Dec 5, 2012 Sword and Laser Anthology officially kicked off and open for submissions.

Oct 24, 2013 Kickstarter to make Season 2 of S&L Video Show announced

Feb 20, 2014 First episode of S&L Video Show Season 2

Apr 29, 2014 Sword and Laser Anthology goes on sale

Sep 1, 2014 Veronica and Tom won a Parsec Award for Best Speculative Fiction Fan or News Podcast (General)

Sep 30, 2014 The Sword & Laser Patreon launched

Apr 1, 2015 Inkshares and S&L launched a publishing contest for The Sword & Laser Collection

Dec 2, 2015 Inkshares and S&L launched a sequel to the first publishing contest

Mar 1, 2016 The first book in The Sword & Laser Collection from Inkshares was released: The Life Engineered by JF Dubeau

Mar 15, 2016 The second book in The Sword & Laser Collection from Inkshares was released: An Unattractive Vampire by Jim McDoniel

Apr 5, 2016 The third book in The Sword & Laser Collection from Inkshares was released: Asteroid Made of Dragons by G. Derek Adams

Mar 14, 2017 Pilot X by Tom Merritt was published by Inkshares as part of The Sword & Laser Collection

message 5: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments What a history! It’s been mostly fun, hopefully that trend continues!

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1627 comments Fantastic, and congratulations!

message 7: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3949 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Sep 1, 2014 Veronica and Tom won a Parsec Award for Best Speculative Fiction Fan or News Podcast (General)"

Oooh, Parsec award! If they got another eleven would that be a "Kessel Run"?

message 8: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Oct 07, 2017 08:28PM) (new)

John (Taloni) wrote: "Oooh, Parsec award! If they got another eleven would that be a "Kessel Run"?"

Nerd ;-) lol

message 9: by Mark (last edited Oct 08, 2017 01:11PM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments Some S&L history found on the net: book club member charlie posted "A Year of Sword and Laser" for 2013

http://www.parrygamepreserve.com/news...

has anyone else done something like this?

charlie?

charlie?

bueller?

anyone?

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments 10 years! ♪┏(°.°)┛┗(°.°)┓┗(°.°)┛┏(°.°)┓ ♪

message 11: by Mark (last edited Oct 08, 2017 01:34PM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments S&L: The Geek & Sundry days. Veronica makes an impression on Tom.

https://www.wired.com/2012/04/felicia...

message 12: by Mark (last edited Oct 08, 2017 01:41PM) (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments A bearded Sword & Laser nightmare for spooky October

https://boingboing.net/2015/08/06/why...

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8477 comments This went very wrong very quickly.

message 14: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1552 comments I really do like V's unemotional almost robotic stare as she wacks T over the head. I'm sure he deserved it. ;-)

message 15: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6784 comments Mod
Your history is missing:

Sept 3, 2014 Veronica gets tired of Rob's emails about forum upkeep and decides to make him a moderator.

Sometime later In giving a shout-out to moderator Rob during a podcast, Veronica accidentally combines the words and The Roberator is born.

Oct 10, 2067 The Roberator's consciousness is uploaded to the internet.

Oct 11, 2121 Roberator's mad grab for power is complete.

Happy anniversary S&L!

message 16: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments Aug 5, 2017 You don't have to wait until Oct 2067 for the Roberator upload. You can get Tassie Dave's bootleg upload of the Roberator now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNwq9...

message 17: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Lol.

message 18: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments Oct 17, 2007 The first S&L group home (before my time) via the Wayback machine. Everyone was waiting for Veronica to pick the first book.

Resolution isn't very good. Goodreads downsized the image.

message 19: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Happy anniversary, S&L!

message 20: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Rob wrote: "Oct 10, 2067 The Roberator's consciousness is uploaded to the internet.

Oct 11, 2121 Roberator's mad grab for power is complete."

Oct 12, 2121 Midnight- The Smooth Roberator Ear Worm Virus infects all internet connected devices.

Oct 12, 2121 00:00 & 1 second. The Roberator deleted.
Roberator's mad grab for power is ended.

;-)

Mark wrote: "Oct 17, 2007 The first S&L group home (before my time) via the Wayback machine. Everyone was waiting for Veronica to pick the first book.

Resolution isn't very good. Goodreads downsized the image."

I do have the link to that page in the OP. Where you can see it full size.

message 21: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Mark wrote: "Aug 5, 2017 You don't have to wait until Oct 2067 for the Roberator upload. You can get Tassie Dave's bootleg upload of the Roberator now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNwq9..."

I don't deserve any credit. I just did a quick dirty cut in iMovie.

It is all the artistic work of:
Tanya Dawn: Singer
Mark Martinez: Lyrics

and John Taloni for suggesting it.

message 22: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (queenrikki) | 50 comments I joined when the group was on Ning. I feel so old. So, so old.

message 23: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2354 comments Rikki wrote: "I joined when the group was on Ning. I feel so old. So, so old."

That means you've had more time with books. WIN!

message 24: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I just realized this month marks my 5 year S&L anniversary. Yay S&L!

message 25: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8477 comments Thanks to Tom and Veronica for making a cool community and doing it all in their spare time.

:: raises glass ::

To the nerds!

message 26: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 173 comments Congratulations to us for having Tom and Veronica in our lives and giving us great books to read for ten years.

message 27: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1680 comments Mod
Wow!! I knew it was coming up, but I totally spaced on it! Thank you so much to all of you who have been on this journey along the way. You all make my life a lot brighter, and this group is incredibly important to me.

Thank you.

message 28: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

The 16th has got the official seal of approval.
Makes sense. When the first book was announced.

So once again.

Happy 10th Anniversary Sword and Laser

:-) :-) :-) :-)

message 29: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Yay! It's hard for me to believe I've been a member for 5.5 of those 10 years. I wish it had been the whole 10. I'm so thankful for Felicia Day/Geek and Sundry for letting me know that S&L/Goodreads was a thing, and of course to Tom and Veronica for creating this group that is so important to me.

It's not just that this group got me reading again, but now I have a monthly in person meetup (plus I got to go to the SF meetup once and meet Veronica & co), tons of new online friends to discuss books with and I've gone on to make a small group of my own.

Thanks again guys!

message 30: by Scott (new)

Scott | 312 comments Happy Anniversary everyone!

I don't always comment, but I read along every month. But, I'm so glad I found this group through G&S, and like Rob said I wish it'd been the whole 10 because this group got me reading again.