2022 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

Pet Sematary
This topic is about Pet Sematary
2017 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️ October > Discussion Post - Pet Sematary (Stephen King)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 327 comments Mod
Buddy read thread!

Synopsis: When the Creeds move into a beautiful old house in rural Maine, it all seems too good to be true: physician father, beautiful wife, charming little daughter, adorable infant son-and now an idyllic home. As a family, they've got it all...right down to the friendly car. But the nearby woods hide a blood-chilling truth-more terrifying than death itself-and hideously more powerful. The Creeds are going to learn that sometimes dead is better

Eve and I are going to buddy read this starting Monday 10/7!

message 2: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments Just wrapped up my reread of The Shining, and am starting Pet Sematary now! I'm excited to reread this...it was my very first Stephen King book and I read it when I was probably around 13? I don't remember much, so this will be fun! :)

Yay! I am a dummy - i forgot today was a "holiday" so the library was closed. I am definitely picking it up tomorrow, as I only have until the 11th to do so lol.

I cannot wait to read this - as a kid the movie really scared me, particularly Zelda !

O__o

I STARTED IT!!

I'm on page 120.

message 5: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments Yaaaaay! I'm on page 154 (my edition has 465 pages)

I had weird ass dreams last night, between reading Pet Sematary right before bed, the Weinstein shit, and watching The Good Place earlier...my brain compounded those into some creepy ass shit -_-

It's fun to read it and remember the movie! I can remember some of the dialogue by the actors so I hear the lines in their voices as I read it lol. especially the part when Ellie was sad about Church dying. I feel for her so hard in that scene. :(

Oh, that reminds me, what do you think - do you want to put our discussions under spoiler cuts? It might get annoying having to do that lol. But i'm fine with it if you are :)

message 7: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments I'm fine with doing spoiler cuts when needed! I'm 44% through now and I don't really have much to say/discuss rn except (view spoiler)

I'm at 40%!! tempted to click your spoiler LOL...

message 9: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments Ha well my question in the spoiler is answered later in the book so oop at me! I really forgot 95% of this book, good lord.

I'm at 75% now!

message 10: by Rachel (last edited Oct 17, 2017 07:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thoughts on where I'm at, which is page 166: (view spoiler)

I know Jud isn't being straight with Louis right now. And I clicked your spoiler Lol, so: (view spoiler)

I'm scared to get to the zelda scenes, she scared the hell out of me when i was a kid. i had nightmares for years and thought I'd find her in our house - we had furniture similar to that of the movie, so i'd always fear i'd find her sitting on the bed lmao.

I'm up to page 222 (53%)

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments (view spoiler)

Vague reference to something you haven't gotten to yet, so avoid this one if you want. No details or anything:

(view spoiler)

thanks for the warning :)

I wish the movie was on Netflix :( it used to be! I really wanna rewatch it! maybe ill see if the cheap movie/book store here has it lol

message 14: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments Yeah I really want to watch the movie when we're done. I saw it once when I was a teenager, but I know I slept through most of it. Literally the only thing I remember is fire...and that might have been from another movie we watched before or after it. It was at some lock-in done at my friend's church so we stayed up all night watching movies (or attempted to...obviously I did not make it all night lol)

message 15: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments Ooooh it's on both Amazon Prime and Hulu, if you have either of those!

message 16: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments I just finished! It was so good omg, definitely creepy as hell.
Planning to watch the movie tonight!

I got to page 271 this morning and oh my goddddd. i'll come back and write more in a bit.

so excited for you to watch the movie lol

message 18: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments I just watched the movie!! I really enjoyed it, though I didn't really feel any tension until the last 30 minutes or so. The movie flies through the events of the book (which I mean, I guess it has to) so there wasn't much build-up. I can imagine watching it as a kid would be a lot scarier!!

I was surprised at how old Zelda looked...she looked like an adult but I thought she was supposed to be only a few years older?

Demon!Church kind of cracked me up tbh, he made a lot of the same sounds that my own demon cat makes (like, to a T) so now I'm wondering about him...

Demon!Gage was creepy with his giggling and stuff, but I laughed when (view spoiler)

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie! It was a pretty true adaptation minus a few details, but I don't think it really captured the essence of the book...not that I expected it to though, King adaptations are pretty notorious for not adequately capturing the mood. I'm glad I watched it though, and I'd definitely watch it again! Just not when I'm looking for something to scare the pants off me ;)

i'm at 92%!!!!!!!

I felt bad when (view spoiler) I'll leave more comments in a bit (at work, so gotta do this a little discreetly lol)

The book was so good...

Really frightening at times.

Loved it when Rachel drove past an exit sign for Salem's Lot!

message 21: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (eveofrevolution) | 123 comments (view spoiler)

I really really loved the book!! Definitely one of my favorites by him now.

When you read The Shining, you'll have to let me know because I see a couple parallels and I have a small theory~ lol, nothing groundbreaking but more of an "I wonder" kind of thought!

btw I got my Halloween card! Thank you so much, I love it :D

i got chills at the end!

I'll let you know :) I'll probably wait for the winter to read the Shining. I want the full effect of cold weather and snow!

and yay i'm glad you got it!!!!!!!!!! <3