Goodreads Ireland discussion

Genre Challenge 2017 > Eight Genre: Gothic/Horror

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) This is the discussion thread for the final genre in the genre challenge, Gothic/Horror. It shall run from the 16th Oct till the end of November.

message 2: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1528 comments Mod
I am reading Every Dead Thing It starts with two horrific torture/murders

message 3: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments Thanks Emma. I've time to read some others then

message 4: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments Thomas can you believe I've never read anything by John Connolly to date.

It's a series by the look of the novel you mentioned.

message 5: by Allan (new)

Allan I know that I wasn't even aware of this challenge until now, but I might go for 'It', just because it's topical and it's cheap on paperback at the minute...

message 6: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments I have "It" in my TBR mountain - I know I used to read a lot of King years ago and thought I'd read the lot at the time.

message 7: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments The best genre seems to have been saved until last because a lot of different novels are being mentioned here.

message 8: by Thomas (new)

Declan and Cphe, I previously read book 14 in the series. It was an ARC from NetGalley. Here is my review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
The publisher offered me the 1st book in the series because I had read and reviewed book 14.

message 9: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments According to Amazon the reviews are relatively mixed for this first novel Thomas

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Declan wrote: "A Time of Torment is of my favourites, Thomas. I most starkly remember a scene near the beginning where a local boy, who lives outside the town near the Cut, sees a woman running past his home. Con..."
He does indeed.

message 11: by Thomas (new)

Declan wrote: "@Allan. You should download the audiobook and listen to it while out on walks... at night... on your own."

Diabolical suggestion.

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma Flanagan (emma89) Never too late for people to join in some or indeed all of the challenge. There’s still a full 3mths left in the year and many people I’m sure will find they’ve read books over the course of the year that cover the other genres.

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire Fullerton (clairefullerton) Have you read Billy O'Callaghan's The Dead House? O'Callaghan is from Cork, and I think he's the best writer to come out of Eire since Claire Keegan. He has 3, award-winning collections of short stories, and The Dead House is his first novel. It's out in the UK, but not in America until spring of 2018, so I got the book from its publisher. This writer astounds me! Here's my Goodreads review of The Dead House https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments Allan wrote: "I know that I wasn't even aware of this challenge until now, but I might go for 'It', just because it's topical and it's cheap on paperback at the minute..."

Allan, IT is one of my very favourite books. Long but worth it.

message 15: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments I'm going to read Hex. It's described as a Gothic horror story so I will get the best of both.

message 16: by Allan (new)

Allan I bought it, Donna, so look forward to reading it - read it when I was a teenager from memory, but given that that's prob a quarter of a century ago, I'll be hitting it fresh. I've enjoyed all of the recent King novels that I've read, and I'm sure this won't be any different.

message 17: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments collected In A Glass Darkly and
The Exorcist from the library

one got the thumbs up from librarian,
the other not so much.

looking forward to some good October reading

message 18: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments Claire wrote: "Have you read Billy O'Callaghan's The Dead House? O'Callaghan is from Cork, and I think he's the best writer to come out of Eire since Claire Keegan. He has 3, award-winning collections of short st..."

Yes Claire I read The Dead House a few months ago.

message 19: by Claire (new)

Claire Fullerton (clairefullerton) I'm glad you did!

message 20: by Cphe (last edited Oct 08, 2017 04:08PM) (new)

Cphe | 0 comments Do the Charlie Parker novels have to be read in order?

message 21: by John (new)

John S | 26 comments reading IT at the moment. it's storytelling at its absolute finest. King at his best.

message 22: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments I agree, John. IT holds up really well, even after all these years. I love this book.

message 23: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Riley | 38 comments Oh hell no to IT!

message 24: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Riley | 38 comments As for Gothic/Horror list:

I've read couple of Poe's works of couse,.

Right now I'm working on Best Ghost Stories of J. S. LeFanu.

message 25: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Riley | 38 comments I understand Declan.

message 26: by Allan (new)

Allan I didn't realise quite how 'hefty' IT was until it arrived yesterday. Will definitely keep me busy, but I'll aim to read it next, in person book club reads allowing.

message 27: by John (new)

John S | 26 comments Allan, I'm reading it on the Kindle and after an hour of reading it says I have read 2%. Love it though. Has anyone seen Stranger Things on netflix? very similar and has been praised for its Stephen King feel. Definitely worth watching especially for IT fans.

message 28: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments I will be reading The Fireman it won best horror on Goodreads for last year . I've been told it really isn't horror but it's been sitting on my shelf so I'll go with that and then read The Gates.
@Allan It is my favorite SK novel . It's huge but I read it fairly quickly ,had a hard time putting it down. It's been years since I read it so I've been thinking I should reread it.Hope you enjoy it :)

message 29: by Allan (new)

Allan John, I checked there - my copy of IT is 1166 pages in length - hoping it's as fast paced as you promise, Colleen!

Colleen, I listened to the Joe Hill novel last year, and really didn't like it - hope your experience with it is more enjoyable than mine!

message 30: by Allan (new)

Allan Correction - just looked back and it was NOS4A2 that I listened to - my mistake!

message 31: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Allen I hope so too :) I have heard The Fireman is one of those novels that you either love or hate . Hopefully I'll love it

message 32: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Allen that was a weird book but I did enjoy it

message 33: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Allan sorry I misspelled your name

message 34: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments I thought The Fireman was very good.

message 35: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments Reading The Exorcist and I keep picturing Linda Blair

and the head turning scene.

message 36: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments have started with In a Glass Darkly by J. Sheridan Le Fanu, - really enjoying

then will get into The Exorcist, interested to hear how you get on Cphe.

message 37: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments does The Picture of Dorian Gray count as horror?

message 38: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 0 comments Finished The Exorcist Andy yesterday and felt the book and movie were on par.

Thinking again about the novel this am and have a leaning now towards the novel. It was more subdued, which I appreciated and the theme of faith shone through.

Bookworm with Kids | 566 comments Mod
In my in-person bookclub in work today, we picked two horror/gothic books to read this month and so I will be using them for my Genre challenge as well. The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories by Charlotte Perkins Gilman sounds quite good and is free for Kindle at the moment! The other on fills me with dread! Cujo by Stephen King is a true old-school horror. Yikes!

Andy wrote: "have started with In a Glass Darkly by J. Sheridan Le Fanu, - really enjoying

then will get into The Exorcist, interested to hear how you get on Cphe."

I think it may be counted as gothic, though. Perhaps Emma could give you her thoughts on this?

Sorry, Andy, I hit the reply button on the wrong message! I was referring to The Picture of Dorian Gray one!

message 42: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments Cphe wrote: "Finished The Exorcist Andy yesterday and felt the book and movie were on par.

Thinking again about the novel this am and have a leaning now towards the novel. It was more subdued, which I appreci..."

Thanks Cphe
confession time
I've never seen the movie
just familiar with bits through cultural osmosis... and the Simpsons

message 43: by Andy (last edited Oct 15, 2017 09:26AM) (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments ready for hurricane Ophelia
Glass Darkly

message 44: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 1205 comments Good luck , stay safe everyone in its path !

message 45: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments calm before the storm here - not a puff of a breeze at the moment

message 46: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments Never thought a Floridian would be telling folks in Ireland to be safe from a hurricane but here we are. Hope everyone comes through safely.

message 47: by Allan (new)

Allan Currently around 100 pages into IT - aiming to make a lot of progress this evening while listening to the wind outside...

message 48: by Donna (new)

Donna McCaul Thibodeau (celtic_donna) | 1141 comments Only 1053 left to go, Allan!

message 49: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments really enjoyed the Exorcist
so much about the characters' struggles and failings and crises with a sense of rising tension.

message 50: by Andy (new)

Andy (_btp) | 311 comments interesting piece as part of Goodread's Horror Week

Top 50 Favorite Horror Novels on Goodreads

« previous 1