What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Any novels about Medieval/Visigothic Spain?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosa (last edited Oct 24, 2018 10:52AM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4977 comments We're studying the early Middle Ages in my history class, and I understand history best through historical novels. The Visigoths ruled Spain from the 400's to the 600's A.D., when the Moors took over. Any suggestions? Any genre, I don't mind. Thank you.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Hum, not Spain, but perhaps a French hero? Huon of the Horn (based on a French character and his epic--Huon of Bordeaux.)

El Cid (book about the national hero of Spain.)

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 4: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4977 comments Thank you both!

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4977 comments I'm studying Isidore of Seville...are there any novels with him or his masterwork, The Etymologies Of Isidore Of Seville?

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Don Quixote might--or might not--fit your needs Rosa. Even if not, it's worth wading through (and yes, it really IS almost big enough to use as "a bug crusher" as my daughter used to call those extra long/thick books.)

message 7: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4977 comments ...

message 8: by Rosa (new)

message 9: by Rosa (new)

message 10: by Rosa (last edited Feb 18, 2018 09:51PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4977 comments Medieval Spain bump.

message 11: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4977 comments Bump.

message 12: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1643 comments Most of the books in English about that time period revolve around King Arthur. Some other right time, wrong place novels include Pope Joan, Virgin Slave, Barbarian King, or Attila.

There are a few, if you can read Spanish or can get a translation: Última Roma, Sombras de mariposa, Astur, or La visigoda.

message 13: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Orlando Furioso Again, not Spain, but I thought I'd suggest it any way

message 14: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4977 comments Thank you very much, Sam and Ann. I'm also interested in any other period of the Middle Ages in Spain.

message 15: by Kaion (last edited May 26, 2018 09:50PM) (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments The Lions of Al-Rassan is a thinly veiled as fantasy, but is essentially takes place in Spain near the end of the Moorish period. :)

I also found this list that seems relevant: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...
There's some more suggestions for novels in particular in the comments if you scroll to the bottom.

This site lists historical fiction by time period/place, and these two pages seem to list good candidates for you:
http://www.historicalnovels.info/Medi... (go down to Continental Europe)

http://www.historicalnovels.info/Anci... (Ctrl+f for "Spain")

message 16: by Rosa (last edited Jul 02, 2018 07:00PM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4977 comments Thank you so much, Kaion. That site is amazing! I found Treasure Of The Vanquished, about Visigothic Spain!