Flipped Flipped discussion

Ashley Evans Book Review 3

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Nov 02, 2017 02:46PM) (new)

Ashley Evans I read Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen for my third book review. I knew prior to reading that they had adapted the book into a movie. I had yet to have seen the movie, and thought it would be interesting to read the book and watch the film after. This book fully captivated me. Even when I’m enjoying a book it doesn’t necessarily mean that I become compelled to read it any moment that I have free, but I definitely did with Flipped. Perhaps it’s because I’m a sucker for a sappy romance.
The story unfolds the relationship between two neighbors and their families. It’s centered on the two youngest children in each family Bryce Loski and Julianna Baker. From the beginning you can see how different the two characters are and you come to understand that this is influenced by the two different family dynamics that are present in each of the houses just across the street from one another. Juliana’s character is complex and passionate, and since the Loskis’ moved in she’s been in infatuated with Bryce. Her character stays consisted while her perceptions about her neighbor and life change. Her unique nature pushes her outside of the norm in her world, so her character is an outcast similar to her family. Byrce on the other had fits quite stereotypically into the popular teenage boy role and his character lacks depth and empathy at first. This is also a big reflection of his family background, mostly his father. Contrary to Julie, his character does not stay consistent at all and he faces an identity crisis that eventually leads him to realize the feelings he shares for Julie.
I enjoyed how Draanen switches between Bryce and Julie’s perspective each chapter. The entire book is a comparison of opposite mindsets in the families and how that influences people’s children, and so the different perspective change made this even clearer. It was also unique that the grandfather played a medium between the two different “worlds”. He works to guide them both to a middle ground. After finishing the book I watched the film and although I enjoyed the film it came as no surprise to me that the book was better. In the text you can uncover so many minutiae details that just cannot be portrayed thorough the screen. I think adults and young readers would enjoy this book because it has the power to induce empathy and reflect on changes the audience might need to make in their own lives.

message 2: by Amy (last edited Nov 01, 2017 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Winters I LOVED this book when I was a teen! I totally agree that it teaches empathy to the reader, my heart was so broken when she couldn’t help the disarray of her lawn... and all the other kids made fun of her for it. And I’m so glad you mentioned that they turned it into a movie. Do you know where I can find it?

Another read I recently found that was similar to this is The Simple Soul of Susan but it takes place in present day. If you know of any other books like Flipped let me know!! It’s my fav!!

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Evans They movie was made pretty well, and I just streamed it online. I'll have you check out The Simple Soul of Susan.

message 4: by Mae (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mae Hall I thought I was super cute. I even got a necklace of the little chick. :)