What is Life without books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive 2018 > Best Character

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1182 comments Mod
Do you have a favorite in a book, movie or TV show? Who is it and why?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ragnar Lothbrok in Vikings (TV)
Uhtred Ragnarson in The Last Kingdom (Books)

Favorites because they win by outsmarting their enemies at every turn. Also- Ragnar is a schemer. I guess Uhtred is a schemer too, but not quite on the same level as Ragnar.

Movies are harder for me because you generally only have a couple hours to fall in love with them. You don't get to know them over time like with books and tv.

But I can throw in a video game character I love: The Witcher (Geralt). He's fun in the book too but seeing him brought to life is great. I love him because no matter the trouble he gets himself into, he cares about his friends and always strives to do the right thing.

message 3: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Walker | 20 comments Okay, laugh if you like, but for me it's Mr. Spock, in the first Star Trek series. I used to be in love!

message 4: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1182 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Ragnar Lothbrok in Vikings (TV)
Uhtred Ragnarson in The Last Kingdom (Books)

Favorites because they win by outsmarting their enemies at every turn. Also- Ragnar is a schemer. I guess Uhtred is a s..."

Video games, I love Naughty Dog, so I like Ellie from the Last of Us. and I can't wait for the Last of Us 2! I think Ellie is a strong character. I also like Nathan Drake!

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah @Aly I actually loved Joel from the last of us!

And to be honest: Drake was a very close second to Geralt.

message 6: by Aly, Book Monster and group creator (new)

Aly | 1182 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "@Aly I actually loved Joel from the last of us!

And to be honest: Drake was a very close second to Geralt."

I really liked Joel too. You ready for the game Hidden Agenda??? I love games I get to make choices in!!! Hidden Agenda comes out 10/24/17. I am also waiting for Detroit: Become Human, all about AI/robots! Another one I can choose the ending!!! Just thought I mention them incase you are interested.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Aly wrote: "Sarah wrote: "@Aly I actually loved Joel from the last of us!

And to be honest: Drake was a very close second to Geralt."

I really liked Joel too. You ready for the game Hidden Agenda??? I love g..."

I actually haven't heard of these! (More because I haven't been paying attention lately then that they don't sound awesome.)I just looked up the trailer for Hidden Agenda and it looks awesome. Sort of like a better, modern, LA Noire.

I am playing through Mass Effect Andromeda right now and though I can see why players were mad about the animations and bugs, I am enjoying it. (Commander Shepard and Garrus are a couple characters I could add to my list!)

I am most excited that they are making a Red Dead Redemption 2. I have been waiting for the sequel since I finished the first game on my PS3.

message 8: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Lawler | 4 comments I love Lisbeth Salander from the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

She's complex, vulnerable, strong, savage, unpredictable. A real woman basically.

message 9: by StarMan (new)

StarMan (thestarman) | 22 comments One of the most memorable characters from a contemporary book was Melanie, in The Girl With All the Gifts

The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Okay I have a new one to add to my list:

Mycroft Canner - Too Like the Lightning (Terra Ignota)

1. He’s basically a genius
2. You can’t trust him as far as you can throw him
3. By the time we meet him, he is atoning for past sins. Though I won’t reveal more because spoilers, he runs the reader through gamut of human emotion.

I recommend this book as often as I can because it is so dear to me, but I also recognize that this is not a book for everyone. I read it as part of another book club and there were a lot of readers DNF’d, feeling like it was pretentious, the narrator was presuming to much, it was too complex and took too long to make you care, etc. Even some of the readers who gave the second book a read (which was much easier by then) still only felt it was a 3 Star Read.

message 11: by Alana (new)

Alana | 20 comments I guess I like my heroes flawed. I've always needed the main character to have the trait of self-deprecation for me to fall in love with them. So from childhood classics that'd include Alice, Anne of Green Gables, Jo from Little Women, and Huckleberry Finn. All brave, but certainly not perfect and very capable of making mistakes. For adolescent reading that'd include Holden Caulfield and looking at my bookshelf now, Harry Hole from the Nesbo series, Dolores Price from "She's Come Undone" and all of the females in "Moon Women." (Oh, Lisbeth Salander too, J.M.!) In non-fiction, Augusten Burroughs, David Sedaris, and Anne Frank.

message 12: by Alana (new)

Alana | 20 comments From TV & movies Killian ("Hook") from Once Upon a Time and Jason Bourne come to mind as well as Kristin Wiig's character from Bridesmaids. I also thought poor dumb Tony Manero from Saturday Night Fever was actually more complex than he was ever given credit for 😂

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah @Alana if you like self-deprecating characters you should check out All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai.

message 14: by Alana (new)

Alana | 20 comments Will look into, thanks! On another note, I've noticed that the women in Stephen King stories are often strong. Open to a relationship with a male character, but self-reliant, blue-jeans-wearing women. I wonder if he bases them on his wife or other women he's admired.

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 971 comments Mod
Jane Eyre is one of the best heroines ever written. Especially during that era. I fell in love with her as a child watching the black and white version of the movie on TV and loved her more when I read the book as a tween. I also love Tess of the D'urbervilles. She is so strong for her family. She is really the only parent in her family because her's are useless.

And then who doesn't love Claire and Jamie from the Outlander series?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.