Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Hamilton

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Brooke (mandarchy) I have students asking me for books about Hamilton. There seem to be so many books about him now. Does anyone know which book would be acceptable in a K-5 library. I don't think they want the typical children's book about a president.

message 3: by SaraKat (new)

SaraKat | 166 comments Mod
and Alexander Hamilton: the Outsider for the slightly older children is one I've heard of being good, but haven't read myself.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Brooke (mandarchy) I wonder if they want to read the play?

message 5: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Jaeger (jsjaeger) | 175 comments Amanda wrote: "I wonder if they want to read the play?"

It wouldn't surprise me if some of them want to read the play, based on its popularity. Unfortunately, it's not K-5 friendly. I haven't seen the play yet but have listened to the music and wouldn't want my children under the age of 16 to see it.

message 6: by Manybooks (last edited Oct 08, 2017 11:24AM) (new)

Manybooks | 332 comments Alexander Hamilton: Little Lion by Ann Hood might work, although it is part of a series (not sure if the books would work all that well as stand-alones, but as this is one of the earlier instalments, the second, maybe not so much an issue).

Actually, for a series of MG historical and time-travelling novels, the series is pretty good, although the last book ended rather strangely (and felt incomplete), and I do think that the characters are not always fleshed out enough.

Clara Barton: Angel of the Battlefield
Alexander Hamilton: Little Lion
Pearl Buck: Jewel of the East
Harry Houdini: Prince of Air
Crazy Horse: Brave Warrior
Queen Liliuokalani: Royal Prisoner
Alexander Graham Bell: Master of Sound
Amelia Earhart: Lady Lindy
Leonardo da Vinci: Renaissance Master
Anastasia Romanov: The Last Grand Duchess

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Brooke (mandarchy) J.S. wrote: "Amanda wrote: "I wonder if they want to read the play?"

It wouldn't surprise me if some of them want to read the play, based on its popularity. Unfortunately, it's not K-5 friendly. I haven't seen..."

This is good information, thanks!