SBTB Goodreads Group discussion

Trope Talk > Trope Talk---Enemies to Lovers

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by HeatherMarie (last edited Oct 07, 2017 10:38AM) (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 66 comments Hey guys!
Love the trope of "Enemies to Lovers"- whether it's rival werewolf packs or a botched meet-cute or spies of warring nations- love 'em all!
I think I like this genre so much because it got to me young with Pride & Prejudice- Elizabeth & Mr. Darcy.
What are some of your favorite books with this trope?
Why do you love it?
Are there any related tropes that y'all go in for?

message 2: by Reeder (new)

Reeder | 15 comments Enemies-to-lovers is definitely catnip for me, though I had a surprisingly difficult time identifying favorite examples:

Kulti by Mariana Zapata (Kulti)
The Wall of Winnipeg and Me by Mariana Zapata (The Wall of Winnipeg and Me)

Both by Mariana Zapata. Her slow burn style is ideal for showing this trope's transformation of emotion. (I'm late to the party, but I have Sally Thorne's The Hating Game in my library holds queue, and I have high hopes for it since everyone seems to love it.)

Reasons I love the trope:
1. By definition, it requires transformation/growth from the protagonists.
2. Often accompanied by witty banter.
3. The cause of the enmity can provide a good plot obstacle, and one that is by definition personal/emotional in nature, which tends to keep the focus on the relationship.

I have a weakness for the (related) familial revenge trope. You know the one: protagonist A has spent the past X years plotting revenge against protagonist B's family and protagonist B is either an innocent pawn being manipulated in the revenge plot or an unanticipated obstacle. Either way, protag B's existence creates emotional conflict for protag A because revenge vs love.

Scandal by Amanda Quick (Scandal by Amanda Quick)
Crystal Flame (Lost Colony, #2) by Jayne Ann Krentz (Crystal Flame by Jayne Ann Krentz) ...geez, if my copy of Crystal Flame had that cover, I would read it for "Color Coordination" in the quarterly challenge.

message 3: by Coral (new)

Coral (kiwicoral) | 27 comments The line is thin between love and hate. This is my favourite trope. When it's done right it has the most amazing evolution of the relationship, and is usually accompanied by some delicious slow burn (except if they skip straight to the hate-fucking of course).
My favourite is a hero who is used to getting what he wants, and a heroine who refuses to put up with his shit.
I also enjoy that this trope is often at a workplace or between employer/employee. The later has to be careful that it doesn't become sexual harassment, and it can be a fine line that some authors trip over.
In contemporaries, almost all Julie James' book are exemplary. I also loved Rock Hard by Nalini Singh, Managed by Kristen Callahan, and Bluest of Blue by Melissa Blue.
My favourite historicals with this trope are Married By Morning by Lisa Kleypas (although a lot of the antagonism is built up in the previous two books in the series, so best read in order), Sweetest Scoundrel by Elizabeth Hoyt (my favourite in the Maiden Lane series #UnpopularOpinion), and Fool Me Twice by Meredith Duran.
I can't wait to see everyone else's recs.

message 4: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments I recently read a good one that it is not straight-up Enemies to Lovers but somewhat in the same vein -- The Discerning Gentleman's Guide by Virginia Heath. It is more Stuffy Hero Gets Undone By Heroine and they dislike, not hate, each other at first but it's so well done I had to recommend.

The Discerning Gentleman's Guide

message 5: by Celine (new)

Celine (goodreadscomcdb393) | 14 comments I keep hearing good things about The Opposite of You by Rachel Higginson for this trope. Sarah Maclean recommended it and then several people in a FB group I'm in have loved it. I haven't had a chance to get to it yet, but it's on sale right now.

message 6: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 66 comments Reeder wrote: "Enemies-to-lovers is definitely catnip for me, though I had a surprisingly difficult time identifying favorite examples:..."

Mariana Zapata- omg! yes! Love that she writes standalones for the most part but in the same universe- so for a deep reader of hers there are little easter eggs.
Thank you for your introspection on what makes you love this trope. It inspires me to think more deeply when reading.
Will definitely check out Crystal Flame. Thanks!

message 7: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 66 comments Coral wrote: "The line is thin between love and hate. This is my favourite trope."

Hey Coral! A lot of these recs are some of my favorite authors but I haven't read many of these yet. Thanks! Can't wait to get started!

message 8: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 66 comments Mclaudia wrote: "I recently read a good one that it is not straight-up Enemies to Lovers but somewhat in the same vein ."

Love a stuffy hero!! That is my catnip!

P.S. good work over on the MOC thread-- so many new books to read- love it!

message 9: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 66 comments Celine wrote: "I keep hearing good things about The Opposite of You by Rachel Higginson for this trope.."

New author to me- like to try her book. Sarah Maclean was a gateway author into the historical genre for me so yes, definitely want to try something she likes.

message 10: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Ohh The Hating Game is so, so good for this!

message 11: by Coral (new)

Coral (kiwicoral) | 27 comments Mclaudia wrote: "I recently read a good one that it is not straight-up Enemies to Lovers but somewhat in the same vein -- The Discerning Gentleman's Guide by Virginia Heath. It is more Stuffy Hero Gets Undone By He..."
I just finished The Discerning Gentleman's Guide by Virginia Heath based on your rec and it is delightful. And would you look at that purple cravat and lavender waistcoat combo on the cover? #OnPoint

message 12: by Mclaudia (last edited Nov 04, 2017 05:29PM) (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Coral wrote: "Mclaudia wrote: "I recently read a good one that it is not straight-up Enemies to Lovers but somewhat in the same vein -- The Discerning Gentleman's Guide by Virginia Heath. It is more Stuffy Hero ..."

I'm so glad you like it! The heroine was one of a few 'bluestocking' heroines that didn't annoy me! :)
On the HQN cover the cravat is green but I think I like the purple better, hahaha!

message 13: by Mclaudia (last edited Nov 04, 2017 05:31PM) (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Tuuli wrote: "Ohh The Hating Game is so, so good for this!"

I read The Hating Game last week!! Great one! Minor quibble: I wish it wasn't all in first person, I missed the hero's viewpoint.

message 14: by Celine (new)

Celine (goodreadscomcdb393) | 14 comments I just remembered Sleeping with her Enemy by Jenny Holiday which I enjoyed very much. Also Dating You/Hating You by Christina Lauren is similar to The Hating Game.

message 15: by Tuuli (last edited Nov 06, 2017 06:35AM) (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Mclaudia wrote: "I read The Hating Game last week!! Great one! Minor quibble: I wish it wasn't all in first person, I missed the hero's viewpoint."

I am usually with you on this, but the lack of the hero's viewpoint actually worked for me in this book. It forces you to make delicious inference of his feelings and motivations based on the smallest cues, very a la Darcy.

message 16: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Tuuli wrote: "Mclaudia wrote: "I read The Hating Game last week!! Great one! Minor quibble: I wish it wasn't all in first person, I missed the hero's viewpoint."

I am usually with you on this, but the lack of t..."

That's a great point!

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne | 22 comments The Little Bookshop of Lonely Hearts- gave me a similar feeling as The Hating Game. Delicious, and reading it like I never wanted it to end....

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah W. | 2 comments I just finished All In by Simona Ahrnstedt https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... and OMG. One of the best enemies to lovers I’ve read.

message 19: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Sarah wrote: "I just finished All In by Simona Ahrnstedt and OMG. One of the best enemies to lovers I’ve read."

I loved that one too! Can't wait to see more of her work get translated to English, my Swedish is far too rusty for that. Though her medieval series sounds so great, maybe I should try to brush up...

@Anne, thanks for the rec - that cover looks frighteningly pastell-y, I would never have picked that up on my own, but if it's like The Hating Game, I'm all over it!

message 20: by Mclaudia (new)

Mclaudia | 58 comments Tuuli wrote: "Sarah wrote: "I just finished All In by Simona Ahrnstedt and OMG. One of the best enemies to lovers I’ve read."

I loved that one too! Can't wait to see more of her work get translated to English, ..."

Woo hoo, my library has All In and it was available!! I usually stick to historicals but I'm happy to check this one out as I love all things Scandinavian!

message 21: by Tuuli (last edited Dec 04, 2017 08:45AM) (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Mclaudia wrote: "I'm happy to check this one out as I love all things Scandinavian!"

I grew up in Finland so I loved the semi-familiar settings. I just checked amazon, and the 2nd book in the series is already out, with the 3rd one slated to be released in March 2018! Clicked right over to the library, and I'll be starting book 2 as soon as I finish my last reads for the quarterly challenge!

ETA: Based on the set-up in All In, I expect the second book to fit in this trope too!

message 22: by Anne (new)

Anne | 22 comments Tuuli wrote: "Mclaudia wrote: "I'm happy to check this one out as I love all things Scandinavian!"

I grew up in Finland so I loved the semi-familiar settings. I just checked amazon, and the 2nd book in the seri..."

I read books 2 & 3 yesterday. Swoon. (Why, yes, I gorged on two 600+ pages books in one day, and didn't get anything else done.)

I was quite bereft when I finished... :(

message 23: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments Anne wrote: "I read books 2 & 3 yesterday. Swoon."

I read book 2 too, it was great! Now waiting for #3 English release... Have you read her historicals, Anne? Are they equally good? I wish they would translate those...

message 24: by HeatherMarie (new)

HeatherMarie (heathermariereads) | 66 comments Sorry to get off topic but are there any other Scandinavian romance authors you guys enjoy?
Or any romance author outside of North America/Australia-New Zealand/United Kingdom/Ireland?

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Johanna Lindsey is German, I believe. She is a little more old school.

message 26: by Tuuli (new)

Tuuli | 79 comments HeatherMarie wrote: "Sorry to get off topic but are there any other Scandinavian romance authors you guys enjoy?
Or any romance author outside of North America/Australia-New Zealand/United Kingdom/Ireland?"

I don't know of any - I know some of it exists, but it doesn't get translated to English... hence why that Ahrnstedt trilogy is a big deal - maybe if it sells well, more will get translated?

message 27: by Anne (new)

Anne | 22 comments I read From Lukov with Love by Mariana Zapata -
*swoon*

message 28: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Sam (AMNReader) | 4 comments HeatherMarie wrote: "Sorry to get off topic but are there any other Scandinavian romance authors you guys enjoy?
Or any romance author outside of North America/Australia-New Zealand/United Kingdom/Ireland?"

Heather Marie-Simona Ahrnstedt-I've tried, and others love her but I struggle a bit.

message 29: by Jayne (new)

Jayne (britishjayne) | 49 comments Amanda Bouchet is American but lives in France.
Sonali Dev lives in India
Mina V. Esguerra lives in the Philippines and she runs a Philippino Romance Authors site https://romanceclassbooks.com/

message 30: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 26, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

Jennifer | 6 comments I love this trope!

I would recommend one of my favorite books "The Duke's Holiday" by Maggie Fenton. A stuffy Duke, an independent heroine, a minor land dispute, a delightfully dysfunctional family. It's an enemy to lovers, opposites attract book and it made me laugh like a crazy personThe Duke's Holiday.

I also concur with many of the other commenters. Mariane Zapata is fantastic. Loved Kulti.

OH! and I just finished Pestilence The hero and the heroine meet-cute when she tries to murder him but whatevs, he's an undead demon sent to spread plague to us puny humans. And go fig, he reacts badly to her trying to shoot his face. I was so caught up in trying to see how these two would get together given the massive thing between them that I COULD NOT PUT THIS BOOK DOWN.

message 31: by Margaret Smith (new)

Margaret Smith (vivi12) | 1 comments I just read Virginia Heath's A Discerning Gentleman's Guide and enjoyed the recc!