YA LGBT Books discussion

Book of the Month > October 2017 BotM- They Both Die At the End (poss spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Oct 07, 2017 04:58PM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16732 comments Our Oct-Nov 2017 Book of the month is They Both Die at the End They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera by Adam Silvera

On September 5, a little after midnight, Death-Cast calls Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to give them some bad news: They're going to die today. Mateo and Rufus are total strangers, but, for different reasons, they're both looking to make a new friend on their End Day. The good news: There's an app for that. It's called the Last Friend, and through it, Rufus and Mateo are about to meet up for one last great adventure and to live a lifetime in a single day.

**Trigger warning for big spoiler (view spoiler)

This thread is for discussion of this book - there is no specific reading schedule and you may post at any time. There may be spoilers in the comments, so be aware if you have not yet finished. Especially if you are posting early in the two months, please try to put real plot spoilers into a spoiler-hiding tag - write <*spoiler> before the text and <*/spoiler> at the end of it - with both * removed to make it work, and it will be hidden, revealed only (view spoiler)

I look forward to seeing what the group thinks of this one.

message 2: by Stella (new)

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ | 8 comments Oohh, I've been wanting to read this one!

message 3: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16732 comments I enjoyed History Is All You Left Me so I know I like his writing style.

message 4: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Martinez Figueroa (boricuareads) I've read all his books, and i felt like this one ranks last, even though I really liked it. I love his style and the fact that he's bringing queer latinx rep to the page is incredibly important to me (as a queer latina).

message 5: by Tully (new)

Tully Vincent (tully_vincent) | 78 comments I borrowed this from the library but am honestly sorta afraid to read it...

message 6: by Franklin (new)

Franklin (holidayham) | 13 comments Tully wrote: "I borrowed this from the library but am honestly sorta afraid to read it..."

This book had more humor and the ending wasn't really as devastating as his previous books.

message 7: by aj (new)

aj ☺︎︎ (honey_scented) I loved this book. I loved the characters and I just think Adam Silvera is an amazing YA author!

message 8: by Tully (new)

Tully Vincent (tully_vincent) | 78 comments Since the library got it in audiobook, I decided to wait and listen to it... so I returned the ebook loan and am on the wait list for the audio.

Avid Reader and Geek Girl (avidreaderandgeekgirl) | 53 comments Got the audiobook today from the library

message 10: by Rez (last edited Nov 02, 2017 03:41PM) (new)

Rez Delnava (rez_delnava) | 595 comments I tried reading this one last year, but after a slew of family deaths, I had to put it down.

I think it's time to resume this one.

EDIT: Whoops, I was thinking of Silvera's other book (History is all you Left Me). I'll have to read this one too after I finish the other one.

message 11: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) I finished this one up and quite enjoyed it. It was really nice to read about (view spoiler)

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 5 comments I quite enjoyed this sweet story of a last day of friendship, love and adventure. The basic premise is horrifying: I wouldn't want to know if this is my last day, but it was well handled by the author.

I was reminded of The Sun Is Also a Star, which also features two main characters meeting and spending the last day together (one of the MCs is scheduled to be deported the next day), because both book handle the desperation and possibilities in a last day very well. The books are quite different in other ways, of course.

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1 comments Rez wrote: "I tried reading this one last year, but after a slew of family deaths, I had to put it down.

I think it's time to resume this one.

EDIT: Whoops, I was thinking of Silvera's other book (History i..."

I would honestly recommend his debut novel More Happy Than not over History is All You Left Me any day. History is still a great book but especially after reading They Both Die (my favorite book of 2017 tbh) History probably won't wow you. That's just me though. All three of his books are good though!