Challenge Corner discussion

Frankenstein
This topic is about Frankenstein
Let's Buddy! - Classics > Frankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley --> Restarting November 2nd 2018

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alaina (ameserole) | 53325 comments Mod
Mary Shelley began writing Frankenstein when she was only eighteen. At once a Gothic thriller, a passionate romance, and a cautionary tale about the dangers of science, Frankenstein tells the story of committed science student Victor Frankenstein. Obsessed with discovering the cause of generation and life and bestowing animation upon lifeless matter, Frankenstein assembles a human being from stolen body parts but; upon bringing it to life, he recoils in horror at the creature's hideousness. Tormented by isolation and loneliness, the once-innocent creature turns to evil and unleashes a campaign of murderous revenge against his creator, Frankenstein.

Frankenstein, an instant bestseller and an important ancestor of both the horror and science fiction genres, not only tells a terrifying story, but also raises profound, disturbing questions about the very nature of life and the place of humankind within the cosmos: What does it mean to be human? What responsibilities do we have to each other? How far can we go in tampering with Nature? In our age, filled with news of organ donation genetic engineering, and bio-terrorism, these questions are more relevant than ever.

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) I've been meaning to sit down and read this book. I've attempted to read it twice already but I was never in the mood. Hopefully I can finish this book and cross it off my TBR list.

message 3: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "I've been meaning to sit down and read this book. I've attempted to read it twice already but I was never in the mood. Hopefully I can finish this book and cross it off my TBR list."

Haha I just added it to mine! But it sounds like a really good book! I'm going to check right now if it's at my library and then put in on hold.

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "I've been meaning to sit down and read this book. I've attempted to read it twice already but I was never in the mood. Hopefully I can finish this book and cross i..."

In one english class when I was in the eighth grade they showed us a cheesy video on classic horror books that inspired today's creatures. I remembered Frankenstein because they mention on how many people where shocked that it was written by a woman instead of a man. Since then it's been on my TBR.

message 5: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "I've been meaning to sit down and read this book. I've attempted to read it twice already but I was never in the mood. Hopefully I can finish this b..."

That's pretty cool!! Well I just put the book on hold so hopefully I can pick it up when I got the library again on Monday :)

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "I've been meaning to sit down and read this book. I've attempted to read it twice already but I was never in the m..."

Ok awesome.

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Started this morning. Just finished reading the letters and will begin chapter 1 tonight.

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Got to chapter 4 before my eyes and brain betrayed me making me go to sleep. (view spoiler)

message 9: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Got to chapter 4 before my eyes and brain betrayed me making me go to sleep. [spoilers removed]"

I haven't gotten an e-mail yet from my library saying the book is on hold yet. I'm going to check the website right now!! I wont even look at the spoilers until I get my hands on my book and read where you read to!

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Got to chapter 4 before my eyes and brain betrayed me making me go to sleep. [spoilers removed]"

I haven't gotten an e-mail yet from my library saying the book is..."

I hope you get it. Hopefully tonight I can make more progress before falling asleep.

message 11: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Got to chapter 4 before my eyes and brain betrayed me making me go to sleep. [spoilers removed]"

I haven't gotten an e-mail yet from my library say..."

The person who has rented it out hasn't returned it yet :( So hopefully I get it sometime this week

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Got to chapter 4 before my eyes and brain betrayed me making me go to sleep. [spoilers removed]"

I haven't gotten..."

Oh no. I hope they turn it in soon.

message 13: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Got to chapter 4 before my eyes and brain betrayed me making me go to sleep. [spoilers removed]"

I..."

Me too :( I hate when people return books late

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Got to chapter 4 before my eyes and brain betrayed me making me g..."

I do too.

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) I haven't gotten very far in this. I am only at chapter 5.

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments I'm going to start this book tomorrow.

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments page 47: (view spoiler)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments (view spoiler)

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Page 86 (view spoiler)

message 20: by Charley Girl (last edited Oct 16, 2017 02:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) I'm slowly getting through this book. I'm only on chapter 9 right now.

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "I'm slowly getting through this book. I'm only on chapter 9 right now."

Do you like it?

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Charley Girl wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "I'm slowly getting through this book. I'm only on chapter 9 right now."

Do you like it?"

So far sort of. I'm on the fence. I do want to know more about the creature. Right now it's slow for me but I bet it will start picking up soon.

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Charley Girl wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "I'm slowly getting through this book. I'm only on chapter 9 right now."

Do you like it?"

So far sort of. I'm on the fence. I do want to know..."

I read it a couple of times before I really like it. I love the book now. I hope it grows on you.

message 27: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finally have this within my hands!! I'm starting the audio now!

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments Alaina wrote: "I finally have this within my hands!! I'm starting the audio now!"

YAY!

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Charley Girl wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Charley Girl wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "I'm slowly getting through this book. I'm only on chapter 9 right now."

Do you like it?"

So far sort of. I..."

Hopefully.

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Alaina wrote: "I finally have this within my hands!! I'm starting the audio now!"

Awesome!

message 31: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

haha yeah it seems really interesting right now! I'm on chapter 3 right now.

message 32: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (last edited Oct 17, 2017 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

21%: (view spoiler)

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) Alaina wrote: "21%: Okay, so the first couple of chapters were kind of "meh." It seemed really slow to begin with but then it sort of picked up.

It's pretty interesting so far. I really like Victor he just seems..."

I'm sorry the audio guy's voices are like that. I've only tried twi audio book and the guy's voice put me to sleep with one. The other was very annoying. I've been kind of scared to try out any others.

message 34: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "21%: Okay, so the first couple of chapters were kind of "meh." It seemed really slow to begin with but then it sort of picked up.

It's pretty interesting so far. I really like Victo..."

I usually really like them! But this one is just beyond frustrating. Some of the voices he does speak so freaking fast even on the lowest setting. So, I apologize if I say the wrong names or state something completely off because this guys is so hard to understand!!

But the person who had the physical book at my library was supposed to return it last month and they still haven't plus there was someone ahead of me on the waiting list. So, I guess I will suffer with the audio :(

message 35: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (last edited Oct 17, 2017 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

42%: (view spoiler)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 680 comments Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "21%: Okay, so the first couple of chapters were kind of "meh." It seemed really slow to begin with but then it sort of picked up.

It's pretty inter..."

I listened to this on audio too. I had to really concentrate on the story at the beginning until I got used to the guy's voice but then it was ok. I'm listening to another book now and the guy's accent is very strong. :(

message 37: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charley Girl wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Alaina wrote: "21%: Okay, so the first couple of chapters were kind of "meh." It seemed really slow to begin with but then it sort of picked up.

It..."

Oh man! I kind of like girls reading the book.. but there was this one guy who read a book and I loved his voice! Now if I could only remember what book it was I would recommend him to read every book I listen to.

message 38: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (last edited Oct 17, 2017 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

63%: (view spoiler)

message 39: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

83%: (view spoiler)

message 40: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

100%: (view spoiler)

message 41: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 4 stars

Omg sorry for all of the posting/editing GR wasn't working on my computer for the longest time!!

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) I'm finally finished.

Mrs. Allen 107 (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) (view spoiler)

message 44: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Felicia | 14903 comments Mod
********** RESTARTING NOVEMBER 2ND 2018 **********

message 45: by Ella (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ella Grace | 263 comments Chapter 2

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy | 7889 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting August 5th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 47: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andy | 7889 comments Mod
25% (view spoiler)

50% (view spoiler)

75% (view spoiler)

Finished (view spoiler)