Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > December Classic Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please use this topic to nominate a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy novel you wish to discuss as a group in December (beginning December 1.)

(A Classic novel would typically have been published prior to 2000 and be considered a popular, trailblazing or important work of science fiction or fantasy. Presumably, any actual "classic" is still in print!)

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. If your nomination is selected by the group, you'll be expected to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. We also read one or more short stories (or anthologies of short stories) every second month; that discussion starts the 11th of alternate month. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that this is our discussion selection for December. Bujold's Shards of Honor has already been selected as our November Classic Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Saturday, October 15, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 522 comments I'm trying to work through the old Hugo winners and just picked up Drramsnake and The Wanderer if either would interest anyone else?

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 07, 2017 08:23AM) (new)

Rachel wrote: "I'm trying to work through the old Hugo winners and just picked up Drramsnake and The Wanderer if either would interest anyone else?"

We discussed Vonda N. McIntyre's Dreamsnake a bit over two years ago, so Fritz Leiber's The Wanderer might be the better choice of the two.

message 4: by Carro (new)

Carro | 28 comments I was wondering about The Merro Tree - can't quite work out if it was discussed before or not.
Likewise Hellspark

They are both pre-2000, both sf and I think a bit different. The Merro Tree is centred on an alien who is a galaxy wide famous dancer - who can dance many different forms of extremely different dance. The book is both about where he came from and the new and dangerous path he feels compelled to follow.

Hellspark is a mix of murder mystery and first contact, with extremely well created world building that includes a lot of attention to kinaesthetics - how people of different cultures move, use body language, the distance apart at which people hold a conversation - with the central character being an expert at that.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2519 comments Goodreads keeps trying to get me to read Dreamsnake.

So...in October I went for a Halloween theme, which made me think, what is a Christmas theme in SF/F? Ironically, I've been reading lot's of Tolkien in December because that's when the movies would come out and hey, it's got elves, so it works, right? Sorta?

Anyway, someone in another thread recommended The Princess Bride by William Goldman and I thought, that's it, nostalgia for a kid's movie and overall a happy read that seemed kind of appropriate for the season.

message 6: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments You should absolutely read Dreamsnake. Amazing book.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Ringworld by Larry Niven

But I'd be down for the Wanderer also...

message 8: by Donald (new)

Donald | 157 comments I'll nominate The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis because I'm still surprised it's not on the bookshelf already.

message 9: by Cat (new)

Cat | 343 comments Andrea - Well if you want to do Christmas-y books The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe would be my top pick! So I'll nominate that :)

message 10: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Pretty sure this has a minor chance of winning, but why not try Roverandom by Tolkien. I just want to read something cozy for Christmas, and a children's story might fit the bill.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Donald wrote: "I'll nominate The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis because I'm still surprised it's not on the bookshelf already."

Cat wrote: "Andrea - Well if you want to do Christmas-y books The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe would be my top pick! So I'll nominate that :)"

It could be a Lewis vs. Lewis month....

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

alarm clock   Reminder: Tomorrow (Saturday) is the final day for nominating a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy novel you wish to discuss with the group.

There are a couple of messages above that I don't think are resolved yet:
Rachel, did you want to nominate Dreamsnake or The Wanderer?
Carro, did you want to nominate The Merro Tree or Hellspark?

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 522 comments Hmmm - I guess I'll go with The Wanderer, thanks. I'll save Dreamsnake for later

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for December is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please vote only if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

Note that this is our discussion selection for December. Bujold's Shards of Honor has already been selected as our November Classic Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Sunday, October 22.

message 15: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Roverandom got disqualified?

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Silvana wrote: "Roverandom got disqualified?"

Ooops, sorry, I just missed it. Now added.

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael | 152 comments Some hard choices this month. It like to read 3-4 of the nominees.

message 18: by Faith (new)

Faith | 120 comments The poll seems to have closed on October 15th.

message 19: by Carro (new)

Carro | 28 comments G33z3r wrote: "   Reminder: Tomorrow (Saturday) is the final day for nominating a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy novel you wish to discuss with the group.

There are a couple of messages above that I don't th..."

If its not too late, Merro Tree

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 21, 2017 06:55PM) (new)

Faith wrote: "The poll seems to have closed on October 15th."

Ooookay, I set the ending date to the 22nd. And added Merro Tree while I was at it.

message 21: by Carro (new)

Carro | 28 comments Thanks.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

alarm clock   Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today is the final day to vote for one of our Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our December group read and discussion.

If I were a betting man, I bet on a runoff.

message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2519 comments Hopefully a few more votes will make it a clear runoff, right now will have to randomly kick out one of the two second place contenders

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I'd read any of the top 3 vote getters currently. Heck, I'd even jump in for a re-read of the Narnia book.

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2519 comments The only problem with the first three I have is Ringworld, and that's only because it's a series and I didn't want to start another one just as I'm wrapping up the end of the year and I'm doing that dragon thing next year. At any other time I'd have been fine with it since it's a big enough SF classic for me to have heard of it.

Actually, except for the Marrow Tree, I've heard of all of them. Been wanting to do a Narnia re-read for years but somehow keeps falling of my TBR list in preference to other things, but again, didn't want to start another series. Was definitely an interesting set of nominations this time around.

message 26: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments Andrea wrote: "The only problem with the first three I have is Ringworld, and that's only because it's a series and I didn't want to start another one"

You can uh, just read the first book of a series. Take my word for it that Ringworld's sequels are extremely skippable.

message 27: by Donald (new)

Donald | 157 comments I've read Ringworld.

Long after reading it I became vaguely aware that sequels have been written to Ringworld.

It definitely didn't clue me in that it was part of a series while reading it.

I'd liken it to Dune - both are perfectly well-served to read as a standalone novel, and if you want to read more there are optional novel-length appendices.

message 28: by Silvana (last edited Oct 22, 2017 08:44PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I wanted to vote for Ringworld but apparently it is not available for me to buy in Kindle and considering the lousy and slow custom office we have in Indonesia it might take more than two months for a copy to get here via online book store. I just ordered mine just in case.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea wrote: "The only problem with the first three I have is Ringworld, and that's only because it's a series and I didn't want to start another one just as I'm wrapping up the end of the year..."

Ringworld was written as a stand alone novel (for certain definitions of stand-alone* :). The Ringworld sequels came much later.

*I say "sort of stand alone" because it's set in Niven's "Known Space" universe, in which he'd written a bunch of short stories and a couple of novels. But Ringworld has enough exposition to stand on its own. If you insisted on reading all of the Known Space stories, you'd have 25+ books to read :)

message 30: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 23, 2017 06:41AM) (new)

Announcement banner
OK, we're going into overtime!

The first December classic poll didn't produce a decisive choice, so I've created a runoff poll between the two most popular choices, The Wanderer & Ringworld, to select our Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for December (starting December 1.)

If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of these two classic, Hugo Award-Winning science fiction novels, you can vote here for your choice.

Please vote only if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

This poll will be open through Monday, October 30.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

alarm clock   Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the runoff poll nominees with the group, today, Monday, is the final day to vote for one of our Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our December group discussion.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Our selected December Classic Science Fiction Novel discussion topic is...

The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber

The discussion will begin December 1.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.