Tompkins County Public Library Community Read discussion

1 view
Midnight Basketball > Friendship, teamwork and secrets

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (joyceann17) | 47 comments Mod
This story touched me in such a sweet way. I had to admire Big Ed and his persistence in trying to make the shot over and over again without success. He probably did make the team better players even if they didn’t score when they passed the ball to him. Joey, although frustrated and disgusted by Big Ed’s repeated misses, honors and respects the unwritten codes of basketball and friendship by remaining loyal and keeping the secret of “maybe Big Ed’s” midnight practice sessions. A lovely piece about what really matters to start my day!

message 2: by Cady (new)

Cady | 15 comments Mod
Ha, I interpreted this one differently - I felt like Joey was a pretty crappy friend, very hard on Ed, and only decided to be nice to Ed when he saw Ed's failure and frustration. Joey's kindness seems to just stem from pity. With friends like that who needs enemies?

message 3: by Joyce (new)

Cady wrote: "Ha, I interpreted this one differently - I felt like Joey was a pretty crappy friend, very hard on Ed, and only decided to be nice to Ed when he saw Ed's failure and frustration. Joey's kindness se..."

Wow, that's harsh. But you make a good point.

message 4: by Cady (new)

Cady | 15 comments Mod
I guess you can tell I wasn't a big fan of this story!!

message 5: by Joyce (new)

Oh yeah I can tell. Funny. I liked it a lot. Different perspectives.