Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2018] 15th Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Winners are in! As I said in the voting thread, we only have two winners. But on the bright side, we had record turnout :)

Winners:
- A book with a title that is a whole sentence
- A book featuring a murder/murders (fiction or non-fiction, any genre)

Bottom:
- A book involving or set at a circus, carnival or amusement park
- A book about natural disasters
- A book you consider a “guilty pleasure”
- A book that passes the Mako Mori test

Polarizing:
- A non-fiction book and a fiction book covering the same topic (2 weeks)
- Spin the tbr wheel for your next read

No close calls this round.

The final, in-group poll featuring the top 10 close calls from every mini-poll will be posted momentarily.

message 2: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1347 comments aww I wanted the "natural disaster" category to win, because I'm looking for a solid reason to read Ashen Winter. And I thought "book that makes you think" might make the close calls list!

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments Nadine wrote: "aww I wanted the "natural disaster" category to win, because I'm looking for a solid reason to read Ashen Winter. And I thought "book that makes you think" might make the close calls..."

I voted for the natural disaster category to win too Nadine. I read Ashen Winter, and that trilogy is one of my favorites of all times! He is currently writing a fourth!

message 4: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1739 comments Nadine wrote: "aww I wanted the "natural disaster" category to win, because I'm looking for a solid reason to read Ashen Winter. And I thought "book that makes you think" might make the close calls..."

Based on GR homepage that book would work for the prompt - A science book OR a science fiction book, unless you already have a book picked out for that spot.

message 5: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments I can't believe my suggestion made it in. I mean, I'm obviously thrilled but still quite surprised.

It's a shame that 'a book set at a circus, carnival or amusement park' was in the bottom, though. That was one of my top choices!

message 6: by Nadine in NY (last edited Oct 07, 2017 09:46AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1347 comments Jillian wrote: "
Based on GR homepage that book would work for the prompt - A science book OR a science fiction book, unless you already have a book picked out for that spot. ..."

yeah, that's an idea, I could do that. I read so much science fiction (AND some science!) that I didn't bother picking a title for that category. Or perhaps as an "elements" book (ash=fire?). OR maybe Popsugar will have "natural disaster" in their challenge!! then I'll be in like Flynn ...

ETA I'm laughing at myself because it didn't even occur to me that "author with same initials" is a category. And I didn't really know what I was going to read for that one. The author of the Ashfall series is Mike Mullin. DOH!

message 7: by Nicole (last edited Oct 07, 2017 12:43PM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Wow, I'm surprised that none of the character prompts made the top two. It seemed like lots of people who participated in the discussion wanted at least one of those to win since we don't have any/many character prompts. I didn't vote for all of them, but I did pick one of them for my top three (can't remember which one right now). Of course, as we've found out in the past, the discussion is made up of a small group of people whose opinions don't necessarily match up with the opinions of the larger voting group.

I'm happy with the two winners. They should be easy to find books to read, without being a just read-whatever-you-want choice. I think one was in my top three (can't remember because my list is at work, not home). Another of my top choices was in the bottom. One of my bottom three ended in the bottom, and another one ended up as polarizing. My third choices for both top & bottom are not listed anywhere.

message 8: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments I didn't vote for the book title that's a sentence because I haven't seen a lot of options that interested me and I like to have options. Suggestions anyone?

message 9: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I am also sad about natural disasters because I’m newly obsessed with climate lit and those factor heavily. And I know totally want to read the Ashfall series.

The winners look interesting though and I don’t think I’ll have a hard time filling either of them.

message 10: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1596 comments I'm excited the list is almost done! I didn't really have any ideas yet what to read for the prompt with the author's initial the same for first and last name and in this thread you all gave me an idea with the Ashfall series. I had never heard of that and it sounds interesting.

message 11: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments Charity, if you like mysteries, Agatha Christie has a several books that could fall into that prompt.

message 13: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1347 comments Charity wrote: "I didn't vote for the book title that's a sentence because I haven't seen a lot of options that interested me and I like to have options. Suggestions anyone?"

There was a great list given during the voting, 805 titles, you can find something!
Listopia: Whole Sentence Titles

I like the comments to this list, too, where people are disagreeing about what constitutes a "sentence" vs a fragment. These people are passionate about their whole-sentence titles!

message 14: by Perri (new)

Perri | 782 comments Woot! Almost done. Record turn-out is fun. How many?