Horror Aficionados discussion

Authors > Reggie Oliver

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neutrino (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 9 comments Any fans of Reggie Oliver around here? Ridiculously prolific British writer of weird horror that already has a bunch of (sizeable) short story collections and a couple of novels behind himself.
Here is what Adam Nevill wrote about him:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Well worth checking out. His novel, The Dracula Papers, Book I: The Scholar's Tale, is also fantastic and it makes for perfect October reading. As good and literary a prequel to Dracula as you are likely to find.
His new novel The Boke of the Divill should be out this month.

message 2: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Hadn't heard of him but a look at Amazon is interesting. His books seem to be a little on the pricey side.

message 3: by Neutrino (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 9 comments Almost all of them are available for Kindle. If you aren't into e-readers, some of them are available in cheaper paperback edition (both "The Dracula papers" and his upcoming novel).

message 4: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments I'll try a few Kindle samples.

message 5: by Neutrino (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 9 comments I'd start with a "Mrs Midnight and Other Stories". Titular story is one of my favorite stories of his, and it should be available in its entirety in the free sample. So, see he how it works for you and does it fit in with your tastes.
Also, one of his stories is available on Pseudopod
http://pseudopod.org/2014/03/07/pseud...

message 6: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Thanks for the tips!

message 7: by Caleb.Lives (new)

Caleb.Lives | 6 comments Still waiting for his "The Boke of the Divill". Publisher didn't even saw fit to update the release date on their website, which is still listing it as a preorder that should be available in "October 2017". And they're constantly updating their website and FB with news and such, so it isn't that they're inactive or anything. Not a fan of this sort of irresponsibility.

message 8: by Neutrino (new)

Neutrino Increasing | 9 comments Well, ebooks and paperbacks were apparently already sent to Kickstarter backers (going by the latest update on Dark Regions KS page). As for the rest of us, they keep pushing the release further for some reason. No idea when it will be available. :(

message 9: by Phil (new)

Phil (chaoseum) | 767 comments They have production updates on their website. I believe they posted about this book’s progress on the 7th.

message 11: by Canavan (new)

Canavan | 548 comments Neutrino wrote (in part):

Any fans of Reggie Oliver around here?

Yeah, I’ve been a big fan since the release of his first story collection, The Dreams of Cardinal Vittorini back in 2003.

message 12: by Forrest (new)

Forrest | 253 comments Read and absolutely loved The Complete Symphonies of Adolph Hitler and Other Stories. Loved it so much, in fact, that I ordered up Mrs. Midnight and Other Stories and Flowers of the Sea, which are on my shelf waiting to be read, lurking, brooding . . .

message 13: by Caleb.Lives (new)

Caleb.Lives | 6 comments It's remarkable just how prolific he is - multiple novels and seven SIZEABLE collections in some decade and a half, and all that while retaining high quality. I'm surprised that he still hasn't achieved wider popularity. He writes high literary weird fiction, but of the sort that is extremely readable and that can be enjoyed even on the surface level by pretty much anyone.