Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > American Gods and Anansi Boys

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Radoslav (new)

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments I've recently started reading Anansi Boys, mostly because it was marked as American Gods #2. Turned out this is badly misunderstood and the book is actually completely standalone one. It's not a sequel, it's just having some common characters. As Neil Gaiman shares in his own blog:

- No, ANANSI BOYS isn't a sequel to AMERICAN GODS.
- I imagine it's set in the same world as AMERICAN GODS. (But then, several careful readers have pointed out that AMERICAN GODS is set in the same world as STARDUST ...)

I wanted to ask, if I should remove the American Gods #2 part from the books description in the current case.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43598 comments Mod
Radoslav wrote: "It's not a sequel, it's just having some common characters."

That would still qualify it as a sequel for Goodreads purposes.

message 3: by Radoslav (last edited Oct 10, 2017 09:58PM) (new)

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments Ok, then we should put Stardust in the series as well because it shares the same world. Also, we should put Norse Mythology because it also shares some characters.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The connection to those is far more tenuous, as I understand it. Someone else who has read all of them might wish to weigh in.

message 5: by Radoslav (last edited Oct 10, 2017 11:42PM) (new)

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments In my opinion, the connection between American Gods and Anansi Boys is the same as the connection between American Gods and Norse Mythology. Also, I've already finished the first one and I am half through the 'second' one and they are nothing alike. Not to mention the only connection so far is ONE character, who on top of that is a secondary one. But even if I am wrong, the author himself says the book are not in a series. I agree that the rule for common characters/world is working most of the time, but I believe these two books are an exception.

message 6: by Krazykiwi (last edited Oct 11, 2017 12:53AM) (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments They do certainly share a character and setting - there is also the other Shadow story in one of his anthologies (edit: Seems there's two of those, now I have to go hunt down the other one and read it!). Anansi Boys is more like a Mr. Anansi spin-off of AG in my mind. Also it's a little confused by the fact they've been bundled together as an omnibus in several editions.

Personally I would (and will, if Rivka ok's it):
a) Remove the numbering on the two novels.
b) Put an explanatory note on the series page, something like:
"AG and AB are standalone novels that share a character and do not need to be read in any order"

message 7: by Radoslav (new)

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "a) Remove the numbering on the two novels."

I believe the numbering should stay, but it should be changed to 1.3 and 1.7 for example. The two novels are part of the American Gods timeline, but they are not a major sequel/prequel/side story book.

message 8: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Radoslav wrote: "Krazykiwi wrote: "a) Remove the numbering on the two novels."

I believe the numbering should stay, but it should be changed to 1.3 and 1.7 for example. The two novels are part of the American Gods..."

I suppose you mean the short stories. They are already decimal numbered.

The novels are American Gods and Anansi Boys.

The short stories do have a timeline relative to American Gods, but the novels do not need to be read in order (and reading one doesn't mean you need to read the other to "complete" a story).

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "Personally I would (and will, if Rivka ok's it):
a) Remove the numbering on the two novels."

I second this.

message 10: by Radoslav (new)

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments Sorry, I've misunderstood you - I was thinking about novella, not novel.

I would prefer AB to be removed completely from the series, but I am ok with your propositions as well, as far as it's clear that the two books are very loosely connected.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Krazykiwi wrote: "a) Remove the numbering on the two novels.
b) Put an explanatory note on the series page, something like:
"AG and AB are standalone novels that share a character and do not need to be read in any order""

Sounds reasonable.

message 12: by Radoslav (new)

Radoslav (aragar) | 44 comments I've seen that the changes are already added. Thank you both Krazykiwi and Rivka for the help.