Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free Beta for YA/NA! (particularly Fantasy & Romance)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally | 4 comments Hi everyone! As an aspiring author myself, I know how important non-biased feedback is to the whole editing process. I'm an avid reader and studying creative writing, so I've got a great critical eye and would love to help anyone out who needs it!

I usually read YA/NA fantasy, historical fiction, and romance, and as a 20-year-old I fit the targeted demographic for the genre pretty well! If you'd like to get in touch feel free to email me at ally.boulas@gmail.com or through Goodreads.

for_books'_sake Hey Ally,
I have a YA Paranormal Romance that I'm looking for a beta for, if you're interested.
Here's the blurb:

When you spend your life inside dreams, sometimes you forget to live them.
17 year old Georgina has always known seeing fairies is a curse - one that’s stolen half her family’s sanity. She’s determined the fae won’t get inside her mind. Protecting it might be harder than she thinks, though.
Nor is a Dreamweaver, destined to spend his immortal life feeding on the desires of others. Trapped in the shadow of two worlds, he has the power to grant any dream except his own. Until he meets her.
But where dreams go, nightmares are never far behind…

I'm still in the process of editing the last third, so would be looking to send it a couple of chapters at a time, rather than in bulk. Any chance you're interested?

message 3: by Ally (new)

Ally | 4 comments Hi Sophie! I'm definitely interested, your blurb sounds so interesting! Feel free to shoot me an email!

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Haigh | 24 comments Hi Ally,
I've sent you an email from chris@haighco.com
Thanks

message 5: by Folami (new)

Folami Morris | 18 comments Hi Ally, I sent you an email, but it kept sending before I was ready. I was just curious if you would be interested in my ya fantasy novel. I have had a ton of insight on it and am re-editing it again and would love to send it to you chapter by chapter as well if you're interested.

Below is the query:
Eradicated is a 78,000-word young adult fantasy novel.

Seventeen-year-old Maya Richardson joined the commune army for food, shelter, and an excuse to kick people—not necessarily in that order. She doesn’t believe she’ll ever see the front line though. The militia has been preparing for a fight with the Gliesians for the past 400 years. But the Gliesians—the super-powered aliens that now co-habit the Earth—have been completely peaceful. Maya, like most humans, refuses to buy into the conspiracy theories--until her mom is abducted.

Maya will do anything to save her mom, but the fearful commune elders forbid Maya from leaving the compound grounds. The only person on her side is Roman, a seventeen-year-old outsider, with a grudge against the aliens for killing his dad. Maya and Roman escape from the compound and into the glittering allure of the Gliesian city. But everything that glitters isn’t gold, and Maya’s search for answers uncovers a nefarious plot that has been causing the human population to dwindle for centuries.

Caught spying on the aliens, Maya is thrown into prison and sentenced to death. Roman risks his life to free her but exposes himself to be something other than human—something she can’t accept. With her mom’s life on the line, Maya must convince the rest of the humans that the aliens pose a threat, the commune that they are capable of winning the war, and herself that Roman isn’t the enemy.

message 6: by Cillian (last edited Oct 09, 2017 07:48AM) (new)

Cillian Flood | 12 comments Hi Ally. Here's my elevator pitch,

In a world with wizards, dragons and fairies. One group of people dare to change the status quo by destroying magic. They are both helped and hindered by an embodiment of fiction itself.

I'd probably class it as NA Fantasy. Tell me if you're interested.

message 7: by Gray (new)

Gray Holborn | 17 comments Hi Ally,

Here's the blurb for my 97k paranormal romance! Please let me know if you think you'd be interested =]

Odessa Black: college student, grilled cheese aficionado, best friends with an overgrown jungle-cat, and officially screwed.

In Odessa’s world, the Others--or supes as her best friend El prefers to call them--are divided into two categories: energy feeders and energy manipulators. They exist amongst humans, but mostly stick to their realm in the Veil. While she has no power herself, beyond the unexplainable and seemingly useless ability to identify others who do, Odessa lives happily and chaotically with a panther-shifter and persuasion-manipulator who are perfectly fine with existing on the fringe of their world. More than happy with her outsider glimpse into the life of the Veil, Odessa wants nothing more than to hangout with her friends, finish her degree, and figure out what exactly she wants to do with the rest of her life.

But her plans are disrupted by the arrival of two new supes in town who seem hellbent on turning everything in her life upside down. Between Jax, the irresistible seduction-feeder who has no interest in leaving her alone and Soren, the surly supe who wants nothing more than to push her away, Odessa’s ties to everything she thought she knew are challenged.

As Odessa gets dragged further into the world of supes than she ever wanted to go, she discovers that the people she surrounded herself with aren’t exactly who she thought they were.

message 8: by Ally (new)

Ally | 4 comments Thank you to all the authors who have emailed me, but I've got quite a queue of manuscripts so I won't be accepting more at this time!

I'll comment here once beta requests are open again!