Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Melodie's September 2017 Reads

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melodie (last edited Oct 06, 2017 07:26PM) (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments 6 for the month with a couple of really good ones!

Skinny Dipping with Murder (An Otter Lake Mystery, #1) by Auralee Wallace Skinny Dipping with Murder by Auralee Wallace: 1st in Otter Lake series and not bad, not great either, but I've got the 2nd one and will get to it soon. Grade: 7

Sworn to Silence (Kate Burkholder, #1) by Linda Castillo Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo: 1st in Kate Burkholder series and very good! Kate was born and raised Amish, but left the life as a teenager after something terrible happens to her. After a few years with the Columbus police department she returns to her hometown of Painter's Mill, OH, to be the chief of police. A body is discovered on a cold wintry night and it appears the woman is murdered in a way that Kate is all to familiar with. Really liked this one! Grade: 8.5

A Perilous Undertaking (Veronica Speedwell, #2) by Deanna Raybourn A Perilous Undertaking by Deanna Raybourn: 2nd in Veronica Speedwell series and as good as the first one. Veronica and Stoker are looking to clear a man who is to hang for murder at the request of a member of the Royal Family. Grade: 8

Tangled Up in Brew (Brewing Trouble, #2) by Joyce Tremel Tangled Up in Brew by Joyce Tremel: 2nd in Brewing Trouble series and as good as the first. Max is looking to find out who killed a nasty food & beverage critic when he drops dead after eating one of her chef Jake's burgers. Grade: 8

Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts Year One by Nora Roberts: 1st in Chronicles of the One series. I got hold of an ARC for this one and found it hard to put down. A sickness begins to befall people in Scotland on New Year's Eve. Within weeks more than half of the world's population is dead or dying. Some people are immune and others are displaying unusual abilities. The world as we know it no longer exists and what happens next is quite a story. Grade: 9.5

Warcross (Warcross, #1) by Marie Lu Warcross by Marie Lu: 1st in what will be a trilogy and a great read! Loved Lu's Legend trilogy and this is shaping up to be as good! Grade: 9.25

message 2: by Merrilee in AZ (new)

Merrilee in AZ | 1114 comments I have a friend who recommended the Castillo books.

message 3: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 204 comments Hi Melodie! I enjoyed reading your post. I always like seeing what other people read as it can give me ideas for future reads. I have never read anything by Linda Csstillo but the book you read sounds interesting so I should give her a try. I really like Nora Roberts' . suspense novels and this one sounds great! I like your grading system. I think I will start using that too. I wish Goodreads offered something like that.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14294 comments Melodie: You did have a very nice looking month! The Nora Roberts sounds quite intriguing; lucky you to get an arc copy.
I have been on the hold list for Marie Lu's new book for a while and am not very close but look forward to it. Like Ceelee I don't think I've read a Linda Castillo book, Sworn to Silence looks good too!

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Oct 08, 2017 07:02AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Quite the varied month, Melodie! I'm a longtime reader of Nora Roberts and this plot is quite the departure. I'm definitely going to request that one. Sworn to Silence sounds good too.

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Melodie, I think that's a first. I haven't read any of them!