Reading Glasses - Fan Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Currently Reading > Currently Reading: October 2017

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy (new)

Katy (katy_mulvey) | 3 comments Suddenly, we're a week into October. What's everyone reading this month?

message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy (katy_mulvey) | 3 comments My reading group wanted a sorta-spooky book for October, and ended up with A Night in the Lonesome October

I also made up a suggestion list: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 3 comments I just finished The Left Hand of Darkness (which I loved), and just started The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which I'll probably finish tonight. After that, probably I'll read The Red Tree which I anticipate will be a little spooky at least, and then hopefully The Obelisk Gate will come in from the library in the meantime.

I want to get in at least one truly spooky/horror book for October, and I've read horror books I've liked, but never read a horror book that actually scared me in any way, so if anyone has any hard scary/horror book recommendations, send them my way!

message 5: by Nick (new)

Nick Kowalchuk (nickknack) | 4 comments I'm on a King binge and just finished The Stand, so I am jumping right into It, because why not another brick of a book.:P I'm also reading Othello and hopefully I'll get around to Dracula this month!

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 17 comments I just finished Annihilation and am starting on Homegoing. I'm also in the middle of Caressa's Knees and Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy, as well as working my way through the short stories in Ghost Summer: Stories (yes, I read a lot of books at once!). On the audio side I finished Sleeping Giants (SUCH A GOOD AUDIOBOOK!!!!) and my next one will be My Not So Perfect Life.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick Kowalchuk (nickknack) | 4 comments Sarah wrote: "I just finished Annihilation and am starting on Homegoing. I'm also in the middle of Caressa's Knees and [book:Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for L..."

How did you like Annihilation? It sounds super good, so it's definitely up there on my list, but I don't know a whole lot of people who have read it.

message 8: by Ellie (new)

Ellie | 3 comments I read Annihilation, and the whole Southern Reach Trilogy. I loved them! To me, at least Annihilation felt to me to have the vibe of a modern ecohorror Lovecraft book almost. If you think you might be into it, I would encourage you to give it a try!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 17 comments I really liked Annihilation! The atmosphere was very creepy and unsettling. I think I might have been a bit disappointed in the ending if I didn't know it was a trilogy, but I'm looking forward to getting more answers in the next two books! From what I read it sounds like the next two are different in style/tone so I'm curious to see what comes next.

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick Kowalchuk (nickknack) | 4 comments Cool! Thanks you guys for the feedback! It definitely sounds right up my alley.

message 11: by Nick (last edited Oct 13, 2017 10:56AM) (new)

Nick Reno (nvijork) | 5 comments I just finished Too Like the Lightning, which was an excellent Sci Fi tale. I have some complex feelings about this one; the Utopian society it initially presents is one that particularly appeals to my sensibilities, but of course it all falls apart. (Utopia makes for a boring and conflict-less story after all.) I'll probably try to get to the second one in the series shortly.
I've got a couple of spookier books set aside next though, Hex, and my annual all hallows read of Something Wicked This Way Comes.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.