Mount TBR 2017 discussion

Level 6: El Toro (75 Books) > New Mountain to Climb

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Starting a new discussion thread here since I just reached the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro. I'm going to try to read 15 more TBRs by December 31st!

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) woo hoo! go for it :)

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Yes! Thanks Hilary!

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 28 comments go go go, that's awesome!

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Thanks Meg! It helped that I was able to combine this challenge with two other challenges. I feel like I've accomplished a lot this year!

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (makeli2) | 28 comments I know what you mean...I have six old TBR on the Autumn challenge now. Can't wait to get them knocked out!

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Yippee, I can already update this thread! Finished TBR #61 for the year, Accused by Lisa Scottoline. I'm years behind on these books (the fifth one in the series came out this year) but I'll get caught up eventually.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) I thought this was going to be a great way to clear my TBR list - the problem is I have seen so many great books on people's lists that mine has grown rather than shrunk :D

message 9: by Kendyle (new)

Kendyle | 46 comments I thought this was going to be a great way to clear my TBR list - the problem is I have seen so many great books on people's lists that mine has grown rather than shrunk :D... I have the same problem. I love it when people post the links of the books they have read so I can explore them and add some to my “to read” shelf!

message 10: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments I have the same problem too. My TBR list is over 1,000 books. Even though I've done really well with this challenge, it's barely made a dent in the pile! But at least I know what I'll be doing with my time when I retire!! :)

message 11: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #62 for the year, Howling at the Moon by Karen MacInerney. This one also counts toward my Serial Reader challenge.

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #63 for the year, On the Prowl by Karen MacInerney. This one also counts toward my Serial Reader challenge.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Congratulations, Catherine! Good luck with your new goal. :-)

message 14: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Thank you, Lisa!

message 15: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #64 for the year, The Inheritance by Charles Finch. This one also counts toward my Serial Reader challenge. I have six more books to go for that challenge plus two for my non-fiction challenge and most of them are TBRs. I hope I can meet all my goals!

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #65 for the year, The Murder of the Century: The Gilded Age Crime that Scandalized a City and Sparked the Tabloid Wars by Paul Collins. This one also counts toward my non-fiction challenge.

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #66, Journey to Munich by Jacqueline Winspear. I love this series more with every new book. This one also counts toward my Serial Reader challenge. One of my goals for this year was to get caught up on this series, and I only have one book left!

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) oooh well done Catherine and nearly at the summit as well!

message 19: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments I'm getting there ... still finishing up my other two reading challenges. It's getting down to the wire!

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #67, Before the Frost by Henning Mankell. This one also counts toward my Serial Reader challenge.

message 21: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #68, Leader of the Pack by Karen MacInerney. This one also counts toward my Serial Reader challenge.

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #69, Gemina by Amie Kaufman. This one also counts toward my Serial Reader challenge.

message 23: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Hoping to finish 6 more TBRs so I can complete this climb, but I'm not reading any TBRs at the moment so it might be a week or two before I post another update here. :)

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments YAY, I can finally update this! I just finished TBR #70 for the year, Beast In View by Margaret Millar. This one's been on my TBR list for almost as long as I've been on Goodreads (almost seven years?!?!) and I have no idea how long it was on the shelf before that, so ... a LONG time. So long that I don't remember why I bought it. It was a short book and a weird one.

message 25: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #71 for the year, The Fifth Child by Doris Lessing. This is another one that has been in my pile for a long time. And like the previous book, it was short and a pretty quick read and also weird. Creepy.

message 26: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #72 for the year, Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley. This was another one that's been in my pile for a long time. I'm amazed I've never read this book before. It was a cute book.

message 27: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #73 for the year, Emeralds In The Attic by Jan Fields. I have several of these Annie's Attic books that I need to read. I get a new one in the mail every 3 or 4 months. I used to get one every month (!!) and so have several to catch up on, but then I switched my subscription. Still, I have a lot of catching up to do -- this one was on my TBR list for three years. These books are quick reads -- the mystery is usually pretty easy to guess, but they make a nice change of pace when I need something light to read.

message 28: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments So I have two TBRs left to finish this challenge and I am struggling here. I pulled a few shorter books off my shelves thinking that I would get through them quickly, and I'm just not getting into the last two. I decided to set one of them aside to read at another time and grab something a little lighter instead. I'm still going to try to finish the other one. I'm just not in the mood for dark, depressing books right now ...

message 29: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Finished TBR #74 for the year, A Tough Nut to Kill by Elizabeth Lee. I'm about 40% done with my other TBR, so I'm really close to the summit!

message 30: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments I'M DONE!!! Finished TBR #75 for the year, Malicious Intent by Kathryn Fox.

I signed up to do El Toro again next year. I hope I can accomplish this again. This year I did several re-reads which I didn't count toward this challenge, so I think it will be easier to get a lot of TBRs done next year. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me, and I wish all of you luck with your TBRs!!

message 31: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Awesome work!

message 32: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Thanks Jessika!

message 33: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 107 comments Good work! Congrats on reaching the top!

message 34: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 126 comments Thanks Natalia! Now the real test will be to see if I can do it again next year!!