Amazon Kindle discussion

Book Related Banter > October, 2017 What are YOU reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by EB (new)

EB (eb--) | 68 comments This is a continuation of the monthly "What are you reading" discussion that Michael started in the Amazon Kindle forum. This great discussion group has been enjoyed by so many .

"Here's how this works - list a book you are currently reading or just recently read on your Kindle (insert the product link by clicking add book/author above the text box so others can find it), whether you would recommend it, did you get it free, and anything else you would care to share.
And here's the standard continuation of each month's request for prior participants in the poll: if you like or dislike a title you have read, in addition to telling us about it in this informal poll, how about writing a book review on the Amazon website? The review will certainly last and be visible a lot longer than this poll will. If you're like me, you look at the customer reviews in order to see if you want to investigate a book further. Since we are all a little community here, and while I realize each review is each person's opinion and we may not like the same thing, I know your friends and online discussion neighbors would appreciate your honest assessment of the likes and dislikes without providing a spoiler - I know I would! Your reviews don't need to be a long dissertation of the book, I like to keep them short, sweet, and (hopefully) to the point.

Many thanks to Michael for starting this thread and for all the posters who keep it going. I know I have found many an enjoyable book from this thread.

Authors should NOT use this discussion group to advertise their books. There are other discussion groups for that purpose.

message 2: by Motherbeaver (new)

Motherbeaver | 5 comments Thanks, EB!! To stay on topic, I'm reading Up Country by Nelson DeMille. It's very interesting and I think partly autobiographical. DeMille was in Vietnam in 1968 and, like his character, John Brenner, returned in 1997. So much detail about the Tet offensive and other major battles.

message 3: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments One perfect lie by Lisa scottoline

message 4: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 417 comments use the add book/author just above the place to type your message

Finished: Good Friday which was much better than the other two prequels to the Prime Suspect series
and
Assassin's Apprentice which was excellent and I'm now reading the second book in that series: Royal Assassin

message 5: by EB (new)

EB (eb--) | 68 comments Since I started the post I should participate.
Just finished The Late Show by Michael Connelly
I was dubious since he normally does male characters. I picked it up last month when it was $4.99 in a daily deal. But this one was really good. Renee Ballard has been banished to the late shift because she filed a harassment complaint her lieutenant. Connelly does character development well. LAPD of course- action is fast paced. Ballard is quirky, smart and resourceful.

Reading The Color of Fear by Marcia Muller and Hell and Good Company: The Spanish Civil War and the World it Made by Richard Rhodes. Won't have much time to read next week though so not sure when I'll finish. They are both author favs.

To add links click on add book/author above the comment section. I've been putting the AISN # in the search box so that I pick up the ebook edition. There is no drop down to pick kindle versions.

message 6: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 41 comments Thanks EB for starting this!

message 7: by Lola (new)

Lola | 5 comments EB, thanks so much for starting this thread! I am lonbeehold on the Kindle Forums.

I am currently reading two books and almost done with (and enjoying) both: The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. and The Secret History

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (bookbakery) | 1 comments I also come from the Kindle Forums. I didn't post much. I am Cardinal777 on Amazon.

I am reading Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck. Using my library's Overdrive. It was recommended on a book list for Road Scholar (a travel group).

message 9: by melsal (last edited Oct 06, 2017 11:38PM) (new)

melsal | 5 comments Hello All! I too come from the Amazon Kindle forums. I posted there a bit, some years ago, but lately have simply been lurking and enjoying everyone's thoughts and opinions on the books they read.
I am currently reading The Far Side of the World by Patrick O'Brian. A wonderful and lengthy series.

message 10: by John (last edited Oct 07, 2017 07:22AM) (new)

John | 242 comments EB--thanks for picking up the thread from the Amazon Kindle Forums. I haunted this forum on Amazon as "jwscales".
I have just finished Louise Penny's GLASS HOUSES, the latest in her Inspector Gamache series. Haven't had a chance to write up a review yet, but I'll get that in the next couple of days.

John

message 11: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments The nightingale by Kristin Hannah

message 12: by Toni (new)

Toni Moore (goodreadscomtoni_moore) | 4 comments “Swing Time” by Zadie Smith.

message 13: by Beth (last edited Oct 07, 2017 08:27PM) (new)

Beth Roberts | 170 comments Hi all! Just jumped over from Amazon because I enjoyed this thread there so much. One thing I like about GoodReads is we can include the pretty covers, lol.

.Just finished:
The Best Horror of the Year Volume One by Ellen Datlow
My review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Just started:
Wychwood by George Mann , which I paid full Kindle price for after seeing the paperback in B&N and had to have. This was sheer cover-lust.

message 14: by Jan (new)

Jan | 107 comments Yay! I found you! Thanks EB for getting us started. I just finishedKilling the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan. Very interesting! So much I didn't know!
Now reading Love and Other Consolation Prizes.

message 15: by FLbookgirl (new)

FLbookgirl | 2 comments I have found many books from from reading the Amazon thread. Currently working my way through The Baine Chronicles Series, Books 1-3: Burned by Magic, Bound by Magic, Hunted by Magic. Using Kindle Unlimited. Interesting enough to keep on reading.

message 16: by Reboot (last edited Oct 08, 2017 06:04PM) (new)

Reboot | 2 comments I recently finished The Gunslinger by Steven King.

message 17: by melsal (last edited Oct 09, 2017 01:04AM) (new)

melsal | 5 comments Currently reading Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. Enjoying it so far, though there are a few "oh yeah...??" situations/solutions. Am hoping the ending will not disappoint.

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindynvb) | 1 comments I'm reading Trophy Hunt by C.J.Box, 4th in the series. I'm enjoying the characters and setting and will be reading the rest.
Trophy Hunt
So glad this forum found a new home. I've found a lot of new books this way.

message 19: by Teddygrace (last edited Oct 09, 2017 08:58AM) (new)

Teddygrace | 18 comments Finished Twospot by Bill Pronzini, #5 in the Nameless Detective series, first published in 1978, so no cell phones, personal computers, DNA available for solving crimes. Surprised by who the "bad guy" was, which I always like, but may just mean I'm bad at solving crimes.

Started Anne Perry's latest in the William Monk series, An Echo of Murder.

Edited for typos.

message 20: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (joyceouttheblue) | 6 comments melsal wrote: "Currently reading Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. Enjoying it so far, though there are a few "oh yeah...??" situations/solutions. Am hoping the ending will not disappoint."

Hi, Melsal:

I read that book quite a few years ago, but as I recall, I enjoyed it enough to check out other books by that author. I find her to be a bit 'hit and miss' with her books. I have found also that most of the book is pretty good and keeps me interested, but I'd say about a quarter of the book is kind of boring.

I don't know if that means it could have been edited by that much, or maybe it could have been reworked to have been more interesting....I'd have to think about that! :)

Love,
Joyce

message 21: by melsal (new)

melsal | 5 comments Joyce wrote: "melsal wrote: "Currently reading Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. Enjoying it so far, though there are a few "oh yeah...??" situations/solutions. Am hoping the ending will not disapp..."

Joyce...thanks for your reply. Yes, I know what you mean about Jodi Picoult's books being hit and miss... more hits than misses for me, but there are a few dud ones in the mix.
S

message 22: by John (new)

John | 242 comments Just finished INFINITY BORN (Infinity Born ) by Douglas Richards. This is a KOLL selection dealing with Artificial Intelligence (AI) run amok and the potential consequences. 4.5 stars for this one.

John

message 23: by Beth (last edited Oct 12, 2017 03:10PM) (new)

Beth Roberts | 170 comments Just finished: Wychwood, which I enjoyed a lot. Review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Just started:

The October Country. Don't make the mistake I did. If you are interested in buying this for your Kindle, buy this version: The October Country for $7.24 and NOT this version, The October Country for $2.99.

The latter version is poorly typeset and edited, making it hard to read. The first version is the William Morrow version, and while it is more expensive, it includes a "new" foreward from Bradbury and the original line illustrations. Oddly, only the $2.99 version appears when you type in the title on Amazon. To get the Morrow version, I had to follow the Amazon link button from the Goodreads page.

message 24: by Jan (new)

Jan | 107 comments I recently finishedLove and Other Consolation Prizes by Jamie Ford. Took awhile to get hooked but i enjoyed it. He also wrote Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.
Next I read The Address by Fiona Davis. A quick read that kept me turning the pages with twists and turns.
Now reading June. This has been on my TBR list for awhile.

message 25: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 29 comments Beth wrote: "The October Country. Don't make the mistake I did. If you are interested in buying this for your Kindle, buy this version: The October Country for $7.24 and NOT this version, The October Country for $2.99...."

The William Morrow edition has quite a few typos in it too - though maybe they've edited it some in the last couple years.

I do find it odd that there's two editions though. That usually doesn't happen for books in copyright.

message 26: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 417 comments Melanti wrote: "I do find it odd that there's two editions though. That usually doesn't happen for books in copyright.
"

It often happens when "special editions" of books are released.

message 27: by Gail (last edited Oct 13, 2017 09:10AM) (new)

Gail | 3 comments Haven't had much time for reading lately and my choices have been hit and miss.
A Separate Peace was my only 5 star read
The Book of Polly was 4 stars
Before We Were Yours, also 4 stars
All the others were 2 or 3 stars
The Address
The Dollhouse
The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
Small Great Things

message 28: by Teddygrace (new)

Teddygrace | 18 comments Secrets in Death by J. D. Robb, most recent in this long series, and not loving it so far but will give it a bit more time.

message 29: by Capricorn1 (new)

Capricorn1 | 3 comments I'm still slow rolling Ubik. Not enough time in my day, but that changes October 27 when I retire! Boy oh boy, am I going to catch up on reading !! :)

message 30: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 11 comments I am currently reading You Don't Have to Say You Love Me by Sherman Alexie.

message 31: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 417 comments Finished Royal Assassin and Assassin's Quest then started Fool's Errand which is a lot slower getting started, but is still good
and
The Very Best of Tad Williams which was good but contained a lot of the same stories as A Stark and Wormy Knight. However the Best of book did have a really good retelling of a Jeeves & Wooster story with Jeeves, with a different name, as a robot.

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth Roberts | 170 comments Melanti wrote: "Beth wrote: "The October Country. Don't make the mistake I did. If you are interested in buying this for your Kindle, buy this version: The October Country for $7.24 and NOT this version, The Octob..."

You're right - I've come across some of those errors now that I'm 40% through. However, it's still a much more pleasant read than the Crome version.

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth Roberts | 170 comments Gail wrote: "Haven't had much time for reading lately and my choices have been hit and miss.
Before We W..."</i>

Gail, what did you thimk of [book:The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
?

message 34: by melsal (new)

melsal | 5 comments Finished Change of Heart by Jodi Picault, which I enjoyed. Have now started something called: Strange but True by John Searles. Just a few pages in, so too early to comment.

message 35: by Gail (new)

Gail | 3 comments Beth wrote: "Gail wrote: "Haven't had much time for reading lately and my choices have been hit and miss.
[boo..."

Hi Beth...so many people enjoyed 12 Lives, but I wasn't one of them. I thought that it was a YA novel and I didn't really care where all SH's bullets came from. I am in the minority in this..not sure what I was missing. I wasn't put off by the violence, I just wasn't drawn into the story.

message 36: by CinCO (new)

CinCO | 54 comments My KindleFirst for this month.

https://www.amazon.com/Mark-Fire-Enda...

Enjoyed the story of a young woman who has just started to use her powers and has much to learn. I will definitely look for the next book in the series.

message 37: by Christa (new)

Christa MacDonald | 3 comments Hi, New here and this is my first post so feel free to let me know if I do this wrong. :)

I just read Otherwise Engaged by Amanda Quick. Regency Romance that had a slight steampunk feel to it. It was good for about 70% of the book. Parts were a bit silly, but if you want something fun and fluffy set in that time period in England, it's a good choice.

Note - I got it on a BookBub deal for 1.99 and I think it's regularly like $7 and up. I'm not sure it's worth it at that price.

message 38: by Jan (new)

Jan | 107 comments Welcome Christa. You might add the link to your books. It makes it easier to read about it. Just click on add book/author right above the comment box. I hope you will find as many good books from this discussion as I have in the past!

After many months, I finally finished Alexander Hamilton. I loved it! So interesting to know so much more about our founding fathers than ever before!!

I also finished June. I enjoyed it also.

message 39: by Christa (new)

Christa MacDonald | 3 comments Thanks for the tip!

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen (seaayre) | 5 comments The Girl Before Pretty good so far.

message 41: by John (new)

John | 242 comments Finished GHOST FLEET (Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War) by P. W. Singer. The battlefield of the future--starting in space and continuing with cyber-warfare. There is only one way to stop all the high-tech stuff. This is an good story, but the ending leaves an awful lot of loose ends, in my opinion. Four stars for this one.
THE DIG (The Dig) by Steven Freeman is next. This is an archaeological mystery set in Guadalajara, Mexico,

message 42: by Mary (new)

Mary Ellen | 14 comments I just started A Plague of Giants yesterday and I'm really enjoying it. I've read most of Kevin Hearne's "Iron Druid" series and they are good urban fantasy. This new book is high fantasy and the characters introduced are developing nicely. It is supposed to be a first book in a series

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth Roberts | 170 comments Finished The October Country
Review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Reading a quickie: Reconciliation Day
before deciding on what to read next. It's still October, so something horror-ish, but I have so much to choose from.

November will be ARC and thriller month and I've already decided next year will be devoted to knocking out as many of the series I have hanging around as possible.

message 44: by Teddygrace (new)

Teddygrace | 18 comments The House of Stairs by Barbara Vine, whose is actually Ruth Rendell. A psychological thriller told in flashbacks that are not in linear order. One of those books you really have to pay close attention to - can't be skimmed.

message 45: by Reboot (new)

Reboot | 2 comments I am currently reading The Final Detail (Book 6 of the Myron Bolitar series) by Harlan Coben. I am really enjoying this series - especially the banter between the characters.

message 46: by DV (new)

DV (arkham_v) | 3 comments I just picked up The Painted Man (The Warded Man) by Peter V. Brett. Looking forward to hooking into it, awesome reviews.

message 47: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 417 comments DV wrote: "I just picked up The Painted Man (The Warded Man) by Peter V. Brett. Looking forward to hooking into it, awesome reviews."

That one is pretty good

and to stay on topic, I finished

Fool's Errand
and
Golden Fool

then started

Fool's Fate

to finish out that trilogy

message 48: by Beth (new)

Beth Roberts | 170 comments I finished Reconciliation Day
Review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
I really liked it a lot.

Just started Haunted Nights, which I had been wanting for the Seanan McGuire story, so I bought it with the Apple lawsuit settlement money, which was a nice surprise today. Thought we were done with that awhile back.

message 49: by DV (new)

DV (arkham_v) | 3 comments
and to stay on topic, I finished..

Nice! I'm glad it's good - look forward to hooking into it.

I haven't read more than the first three books in that series, are these worth a go?

message 50: by ~ Becky (new)

~ Becky   | 2 comments I'm on book #82 of my "2017 Reading Book Challenge"!! I'm presently immersed in a Good Book
'The Unremembered Girl: A Novel' Kindle Edition
by Eliza Maxwell....

✿ Can't put it down... Recommending this Author and Book ✿

« previous 1