Sci-Fi Group Book Club discussion

The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. (D.O.D.O. #1)
This topic is about The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.
Archived Group Reads > The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new) - added it

Greg | 812 comments Mod
This is the discussion thread for the first book of the month, or group read, for October. Please remember to use the spoiler tags where necessary. The other group read topic for this month (Roadside Picnic) can be found here.

message 2: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new) - added it

Greg | 812 comments Mod
JuniperGreen wrote: "While everyone else here seems to be reading Roadside Picnic, I've started with this kitten squisher.

After about 100 pages of translating ancient documents, construction work and pr..."

Oops! I'm not keen on a long, slow, start to a novel myself. However, I'm surprised that Stephenson would have a linguist character mis-use 'sensei' given his apparently long-standing interest in East Asian culture (e.g. the katana-wielding Hiro Protagonist in Snow Crash). Interest doesn't necessarily translate into accurate knowledge of course.

message 3: by Greg, Muad'Dib (new) - added it

Greg | 812 comments Mod
And that's the difference of having a native speaker to hand! :)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments JuniperGreen wrote: "While everyone else here seems to be reading Roadside Picnic, I've started with this kitten squisher.

After about 100 pages of translating ancient documents, construction work and pr..."

On the contrary, I found part one (first 150 pages) really fascinating and gripping (albeit cringe-y on the quantum parts) but I'm probably biased due to my theoretical physics background and me being a huge Stephenson fan. :)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments JuniperGreen wrote: "Marvin wrote: "On the contrary, I found part one (first 150 pages) really fascinating and gripping (albeit cringe-y on the quantum parts) but I'm probably biased due to my theoretical physics backg..."

I think Ted Chiang's short story "Story of Your Life" will be your cup of tea. Read it if you haven't already. The protagonist being a linguist played a huge role in that story compared to Mel's in this novel, at least so far. The role of Mel's linguistic skills is minimal here, other than being the easiest pick to go back to the past.

Marvin Flores | 64 comments By the JuniperGreen, just curious. Is it wrong to refer to a professor as "sensei"? I watch a lot of animes and they usually greet professors/teachers/mentors this way. I could be wrong though.

Anyway, I'm 60% into the novel and still having fun!!! :)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments It is rude even if you know beforehand that the one you are addressing is a "sensei"?

I kinda like Mel but that's just me. :)

Marvin Flores | 64 comments Hi guys! Check out my review of the novel. :) https://youtu.be/eviYtfOP3jY