Nominations & Polls > November 2017 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
The categories for November are:

Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Comedy

Nominate away, everyone! Can't wait to see the choices!

message 2: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 231 comments For SF, I renominate The Coming Race

For Comedy (don't tell me it's been done) another freebie:

Queen Lucia

From the Guardian website:

EF Benson: Queen Lucia (1920)

Mrs Emmeline Lucas, la Lucia, has single-handedly transformed the "bovine and unilluminated" village of Riseholme into a cultural oasis. Yet when Daisy Quantock acquires an Indian guru, Lucia's social sway wobbles. Even her own Georgie Pillson, fellow Italian speaker and gentleman-in-waiting, is tempted to rebel when he alone discovers that a celebrated diva is in town. Lucia campaigns ruthlessly for five more novels, the last three inspiring Channel 4's Mapp and Lucia series in the 1980s. In Benson's characters, readers recognise their own foibles and pretensions, deliciously camped up, at a safe distance. NC

message 3: by Phrodrick (new)

Phrodrick | 153 comments Not sure where you guys are on Henry James and the rest, but I am about to start The Sword of Honour Trilogy Men at Arms/Officers & Gentlemen/Unconditional Surrender by Evelyn Waugh
This is going to happen, if any care to join, I think I will open the cover NLT Monday.

Tt will not be on a fast read for a few weeks so a latter started will have no problem catching up.

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments Okay, for Science-Fiction and Fantasy, how about The Blind Assassin by Atwood and for comedy, something a bit off the beaten path: The Horse's Mouth by Joyce Cary

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 825 comments I really like Queen Lucia so I won't nominate a comedy book.

Sci fi... how about Kindred by Octavia E. Butler?

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I second The Coming Race

message 7: by Cphe (new)

Cphe | 32 comments Kindred, was gut wrenching and thought provoking

message 8: by Bilwa (new)

Bilwa I second Blind Assassin (SF) Horse's mouth (Comedy)

message 9: by Kaycie (new)

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
Alright guys, I've been slacking a bit, but the polls are up! Vote away, and let's see what we are reading next month!