What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > novel; boy coming of age; read for class in high school, 1978-1982; starts with a boy taking shelter (I think in a barn) with an older woman (she is African-American; he may or may not have been) and huddling under a blanket during a raging storm

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim DeRogatis | 2 comments I cannot remember the title or author, and have only the vivid recollection that it starts with a boy taking shelter (I think in a barn) with an older woman (she is African-American; he may or may not have been) and huddling under a blanket during a raging storm (maybe a tornado?), which prompted my high school English teacher to quip, "This book starts with a bang!" Young Adult was not a genre at the time, but this was an all-boy's Catholic high school and I think our forward-looking English teacher was trying to expand our world view beyond Jersey City (the book may or may not have been set in the south, and featuring African-American characters, maybe even the protagonist). Sorry to be so vague, but it's driving me crazy, and I'd love to find and reference this tome in a book I'm writing myself. Thanks!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
About when did the novel take place? Author female or male? Remember the cover?

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim DeRogatis | 2 comments I literally remember nothing else, alas!

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39865 comments Mod
Jim, are you still looking for this or did you find it?