Play Book Tag discussion

Gone with the Wind
This topic is about Gone with the Wind
October 2017: Society > Gone With the Wind - 5 stars, by Margaret Mitchell

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8854 comments That was a truly stunning experience. And worth the two and a half weeks it took. Sometimes the writing was so stunning that it took my breath away. I often liked to reread a line or two, just because I felt Margaret Mitchell had captured it so uniquely. I can see why this classic has stood the test of time.

This was a first read for me, at almost 49. But it was really neat to see how carrying this book around, how much it meant to so many - who remembered reading it until it was dog eared and weary, throughout their teens. I had wondered how it would stand up as an adult, although Scarlett's character would certainly appeal to the younger set. We however see the same impetuous, spirited, child-like attitude of Scarlett, though wizened through her experiences over time. Half child, half rebel, she speaks to survival in a way that few of us could. In fact, she was a defier of society from the opening pages, but had to learn how to truly make her own way, and choose in what ways she was going to discover herself and her own strength. All the characters were fabulous to watch unfold. And certainly a piece of history was captured, as an age of Southern Society was decaying, and folks were trying to desperately hold on to pieces of it, as it was falling apart around them. It certainly captured a point of view, and the tensions within. I found the (mixed) experiences of the newly freed slaves a fascinating illustration, as many of them were also clinging to the old ways, and did not falter in their loyalties, to those who had enslaved them.

The book was brilliant, and captivating, and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to read and enjoy this American Classic. In the last 50 pages, I gasped, I sobbed, I felt physically wrenched. It grabbed me, as a good book should. And like the rest of you, it will probably likely never let me go.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6004 comments So glad you enjoyed it, Amy! It certainly has is problem points some 70 years after it was first published, but it has stood the test of time.

By the way, my very favorite "review" of GWTW came from my best friend in high school. And I quote:
This is the story of Rhett Butler who loved Scarlett O'Hara who loved Ashley Wilkes, who loved Melanie Hamilton, who loved everyone, including town tart Belle Watling, who loved Rhett Butler, who loved Scarlett O'Hara, who loved Ashley....

Now that you've read this one, I highly recommend Lamb in His Bosom ... the story of back-woods Georgia farmers, NOT slave owners, following the family from about 1832 to shortly after the Civil war. Stunningly beautiful writing.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Book Concierge wrote: "So glad you enjoyed it, Amy! It certainly has is problem points some 70 years after it was first published, but it has stood the test of time.

By the way, my very favorite "review" of GWTW came fr..."

Thanks for the recommendation, BC. Amy so glad that you enjoyed it. It was one of my favorites, flaws and all.