Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > adding a book

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Rutherford | 3 comments Hi, I'm trying to add my new book which is available as pre-order, but I keep getting errors.
Details are below.
Title: Treater: Book One of the Divine Conflict
Author: CJ Rutherford
ASIN: B0756MJM5L
Release date: 31st October 2017

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Also, according to Goodreads policy the name should be C.J. Rutherford, with periods.

message 3: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Rutherford | 3 comments CJ wrote: "Hi, I'm trying to add my new book which is available as pre-order, but I keep getting errors.
Details are below.
Title: Treater: Book One of the Divine Conflict
Author: CJ Rutherford
ASIN: B0756MJM..."

Hi, the new entry was a mistake I made when trying to add the book to my profile. The illustrator credit is for the cover designer.

Thanks.

message 4: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Rutherford | 3 comments I've always been CJ Rutherford, not C.J. Rutherford. I'm a rebel lol.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jones | 10 comments I am the Wendy Jones who wrote "An Extraordinary Life: Josephine E. Jones" I suppose when all this is straightened out, my book will be removed from the East Anglia Wendy Jones' list.

My book is available from the publisher's website at the link I gave you before:

https://idabellpublishing.com/shop/

How do I get this listed with the book? I am in the Library of Congress and several NJ libraries, but I am primarily available at the link listed above.

Also, I didn't see anywhere to put my bio. That would help differentiate me from the East Anglia Wendy Jones.

Thanks again for your help.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jones | 10 comments Hello, Tim or anyone who is available if Tim is busy

How do I edit my description of the book to include the publihser's link where readers can buy the book--once I begin promoting it--I'm thinking of offering five copies for giveaways--and peak their interest?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wendy

message 7: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jones | 10 comments Hello, Tim

I think I understand this. It's against the rules to put the link in the description, but you have put it in an official URL field, so readers will know where to buy my book. The link you have sent me is the rule to which you are referring. I will go to my page and see what's there.

Thanks,

Wendy

message 8: by ☕ Lachgas ♿ (last edited Oct 09, 2017 04:47PM) (new)

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6188 comments #1 C.J. I moved some of your books to your profile - where in the series should "lost in time" be placed?
is it the "old" prequel just retitled? or is it placed before or after the old prequel?

message 9: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jones | 10 comments Wendy wrote: "Hello, Tim

I think I understand this. It's against the rules to put the link in the description, but you have put it in an official URL field, so readers will know where to buy my book. The link y..."

Thanks for the confirmation, Tim.

message 10: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jones | 10 comments Wendy wrote: "Wendy wrote: "Hello, Tim

I think I understand this. It's against the rules to put the link in the description, but you have put it in an official URL field, so readers will know where to buy my bo..."

Tim... Splaining wrote: "That’s correct Wendy."

Hello, Tim

I would like to add a line to my book description letting readers know they can purchase my book at the website listed below.

It would read:

"An Extraordinary Life: Josephine E. Jones" can be purchased at Ida Bell Publishing, LLC's website listed below.

How do I do that?

message 11: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Extermal links of any kind are not allowed in descriptions, and purchase only links are not allowed in the url field.

Purchase links can go in your own review of your book (you do not have to rate it), or in your bio on your profile.

message 12: by Mark (last edited Oct 10, 2017 11:08AM) (new)

Mark Kelly | 1 comments I might have messed up. I was trying to figure out how to update the 'covers' for the two books I've published, but ended up creating another edition of one of them.

The error is:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Sorry...what next or did I do this correctly?

message 13: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Krazykiwi wrote: "Extermal links of any kind are not allowed in descriptions, and purchase only links are not allowed in the url field.

Purchase links can go in your own review of your book (you do not have to rate..."

There are several extensive reviews on that site, so I let it pass.

message 14: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments lethe wrote: "Krazykiwi wrote: "Extermal links of any kind are not allowed in descriptions, and purchase only links are not allowed in the url field.

Purchase links can go in your own review of your book (you d..."

I didn't actually look at it, I was just answering generally, but I trust your judgement :)

message 15: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Tim... Splaining wrote: "Thinking that if more books are published then they’ll show up on #2 while #1 should remain unique to the book."

Good thinking, but that one doesn't actually have much info to offer except an excerpt of one of the reviews on the other link.

message 16: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Exactly.

/shop isn't about the book though. Even when linking to an author or publisher's own site, it has to be book specific.

http://link-to-author-site.com isn't allowed nor is
http://link-to-author-site.com/book-l... but
http://link-to-author-site.com/page-a... is fine (as long as it actually provides information that isn't right here on GR - an excerpt, some background, anything)

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jones | 10 comments Hello, Krazykiwi, Lethe, and Tim

I do appreciate this detailed discussion of the links, but my question was different.

It would not be clear to me as a reader that I needed to go to the Ida Bell Publishing link to buy the book.

I want to add a sentence of text (not a link) to the description of the book that lets the reader know that.

The text would read:

"An Extraordinary Life: Josephine E. Jones" can be purchased at Ida Bell Publishing, LLC's website listed below.

How would I do that?

Oh, and there is an excerpt of the book elsewhere on the publisher's site, but not at that particular link.

message 18: by Krazykiwi (new)

Krazykiwi | 1767 comments Wendy wrote: "The text would read:

How would I do that?"

Sorry Wendy, but as I said (quite clearly, I thought) in my first reply, you can put that either in your review space, or on your author profile. External links are not allowed in the description field (not even "fake" links that aren't actually linked).

I understand you will probably find that disappointing, but those are the rules and they apply to all books, all authors, and all librarians are obliged to follow them.

message 19: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Jones | 10 comments Hello, Krazykiwi

OK. I have no problem with your rules.

It's just that you keep describing the sentence, which contains only words, as a "link." That's what I find confusing.

I have found my author profile and will start writing it.