Play Book Tag discussion

The Complete Maus
This topic is about The Complete Maus
Archive: Other Books > The Complete Maus / Art Spiegelman - 3***

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 06, 2017 05:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5527 comments The Complete Maus (Maus, #1-2) by Art Spiegelman
The Complete Maus - Art Spiegelman
3***

This book combines the two original graphic novels: Maus I: A Survivor’s Tale: My Father Bleeds History – and – Maus II: A Survivor’s Tale: And Here My Troubles Began.

As his father was aging, Art Spiegelman took time to interview him about his life in Poland before and during World War II. The result was this ground-breaking “comic” – a graphic novel in which the Jews are mice, the Nazis are cats, and the Poles are pigs.

The first comic followed his parents, grandparents, extended family and friends as they met and married, and built their businesses. It shows how the Nazis rose to power and how the Polish people were stunned by changes brought about by the Nazi regime. It ends shortly after Spiegelman’s parents are sent to Auschwitz. The second volume explored life in the camp, liberation and how his parents found one another again.

Throughout both works, Spiegelman interjects himself into the story, with a contemporary tale of his somewhat contentious relationship with his father and the interviews he had with him. I found these panels to be a distraction from the central story of his parents’ survival. On the other hand, they did serve to break the tension, and to remind the reader that Vladek and Anna did, in fact, survive the horrors inflicted upon them.

In general, I am not a great fan of graphic novels. I usually find the artwork too dark and the text too minimal and simplistic. That’s not the case for this work. I thought it was easily accessible and a way to introduce the subject to an audience that might not read a traditional book. However, while I appreciate it, and understand why it has garnered such acclaim, it just didn’t work very well for me.

LINK to my review

message 2: by Book Concierge (last edited Oct 06, 2017 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5527 comments Also ... I cannot tell you how many people questioned me as I sat, minding my own business, reading this book ... because there is a Swastika on the cover!

Karin | 6877 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Also ... I cannot tell you how many people questioned me as I sat, minding my own business, reading this book ... because there is a Swastika on the cover!"

I bet! I also gave this 3 stars after reading it this year and am not usually a fan of graphic novels.