Pulp Fiction discussion

Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead (Claire DeWitt Mysteries, #1)
Group Reads > October 2017 - Claire DeWitt and the City of the Dead

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 835 comments Mod
Claire DeWitt is a private investigator, called to New Orleans to investigate the disappearance of a DA who vanished during Hurricane Katrina.

First published in 2011, the book was well-received, and spawned a sequel - Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've had Claire DeWitt and The City of The Dead on my reading list for ages and keep bouncing it back. I'm gonna have to bring it forward.

message 3: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 835 comments Mod
Shane wrote: "I've had Claire DeWitt and The City of The Dead on my reading list for ages and keep bouncing it back. I'm gonna have to bring it forward."

Me, too. This one's been on my shelf for at least two years, but now, at least, it's made it to my bedside stack.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm about 25% in. I'm enjoying this book. The writer describes the setting very well, I have a great feel for the environment without her bashing me over the head with descriptions.

I like the way she writes dialogue. The characters say funny things, esp the MC. I like the way the story slips into a kind of magic realist loop, at times this reads like something that may be found in a YA book (I have not to my knowledge read any so I am just guessing here), but for the most part the magic realism works for me. It reads a bit like Murakami at times.

It's good so far.

But is it Noir? No smoking guns or alcohol. I guess neo-Noir with elements of Magic Realism.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Coming into the end now. I like this writer. Will definitely check out her other books.

I like her style. I take back what I said in my last post - this is neo-noir. I like the way she mashes together noir and a sense of magic realism in the story. She paints New Orleans post-flood in quite a surreal fashion. It creates a perfect weird backdrop for Claire and the way she views the world in general.

message 6: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 835 comments Mod
Shane wrote: "Coming into the end now. I like this writer. Will definitely check out her other books.

I like her style. I take back what I said in my last post - this is neo-noir. I like the way she mashes toge..."

Glad you liked it, Shane. Mine's still in my stack, and I'm realizing that I won't be getting to it this month. Hopefully some other members will see your comments and at least add the book to their reading lists.

Franky | 395 comments This book finally arrived and started it last night, and I'm really not sure what to make of it. It definitely seems different, so far. However, I decided to put it on hold because I'm currently reading Jar City and my mind is going a little crazy keeping track of two mysteries at once (too many crimes, characters and clues to keep up with). (I feel like I'm a couple months behind reading). Anyhow, will get to this one after Jar City and then post some comments.

message 8: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 835 comments Mod
Franky wrote: "However, I decided to put it on hold because I'm currently reading Jar City and my mind is going a little crazy keeping track of two mysteries at once (too many crimes, characters and clues to keep up with)...."

I know exactly what you mean. I just finished another book that featured a tough talking female detective, so I don't want to start this one right away.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Claire DeWitt is not really a tough talking female detective. There's very much a sense of vulnerability in her character.

One of the best books I've read this year.

Franky | 395 comments I finally got to finish this last week, but felt sort of meh about it. I liked the originality of the story line and setting and that approach, but wasn't really sold on Claire being realistically a detective (what with all her doing drugs, drinking, and using dice to determine/guide her). I liked her references to Sillete's book initially as a clever device, but those references started to wear thin by book's end.