Pulp Fiction discussion

Gun, With Occasional Music
This topic is about Gun, With Occasional Music
Group Reads > October 2017 - Gun with Occasional Music

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 827 comments Mod
Here's a science fiction/noir mashup by acclaimed writer Jonathan Lethem.

I cant' think of a better description than this line from my buddy Dan Schwent's review - "If Raymond Chandler and Philip K. Dick spent an evening together doing hard drugs, this would be the book that would result."
(Here's the review - https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...)

This should make for one quirky October read.

message 2: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 827 comments Mod
JuniperGreen wrote: "Oops, that won?
I voted for it, but I don't think I gonna find the time to read it this month. It was so far behind the last time I checked the poll, I didn't think it had any chance to win."

Well, there was a tie, so I went with both books. Looks like a great read even if you can't get to it this month.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Ooh I read this book. Really loved it.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

This sounds great.

Just for the record, I think Philip K Dick did do a lot of hard drugs.

message 5: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 827 comments Mod
Shane wrote: "Just for the record, I think Philip K Dick did do a lot of hard drugs."

He was a strange one alright.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

The best story I heard about PKD was when the French philosopher Jean Baudrillard went to visit him and PKD took Baudrillard to Disneyland.

"This is all you need to know about America," he told him as they spun around in the huge tea cups.

message 7: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 827 comments Mod
Shane wrote: "The best story I heard about PKD was when the French philosopher Jean Baudrillard went to visit him and PKD took Baudrillard to Disneyland.

"This is all you need to know about America," he told hi..."

Love it!

message 8: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 827 comments Mod
My used copy finally arrived yesterday, but with a little over a week left in the month . . . well, it's just not gonna happen in October. I haven't shelved it yet, so that means there's hope I'll get to it sooner rather than later.

Just a reminder - you can discuss these books anytime you read them.

Still (mantan) | 425 comments Melki wrote: "My used copy finally arrived yesterday, but with a little over a week left in the month . . . well, it's just not gonna happen in October. I haven't shelved it yet, so that means there's hope I'll ..."

I loved this book and I'm confident you will as well.
Great choice for a group read!
Makes me want to read it again.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, maybe I don't get it, I'm only about 20% in on this book, but so far it just seems very juvenile to me.

The comparisons to Chandler and Dick are tenuous to say the least.

I shall persevere with it, but -- mutant kangaroos and kittens?

message 11: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 827 comments Mod
Shane wrote: "I shall persevere with it, but -- mutant kangaroos and kittens? "

Sounds kind of intriguing. Are the kittens mutants, too, or just the kangaroos?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, you.

All the animals are. Some kind of hyper-developed creatures.

I've actually given up on it. It didn't read like Chandler or Dick at all. Both of those guys wrote in a very intelligent way. This guy writes stuff because he thinks it's 'weird' or 'kooky' and it just comes across as the kind of stuff that guys who live in their mom's basement like.

message 13: by Melki, Femme Fatale (last edited Oct 24, 2017 01:35AM) (new)

Melki | 827 comments Mod
Shane wrote: "I've actually given up on it. It didn't read like Chandler or Dick at all. "

To be fair, the reviewer did say that Dick & Chandler would have been using hard drugs.

I only ever read one Lethem book, and that was Motherless Brooklyn . . . gulp, seventeen years ago. I don't remember much about it other than there were mobsters, and a guy with Tourette Syndrome. Maybe there were mutant walruses, too, and I just forgot that part.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

It didn't work for me. It just sounded cartoonish and dumb. Oh well...

message 15: by Melki, Femme Fatale (new)

Melki | 827 comments Mod
Shane wrote: "It didn't work for me. It just sounded cartoonish and dumb. Oh well..."

Well, I appreciate the fact that you gave it a try. Hope your next read will be better.

Frank Thirdeyed | 88 comments I liked this a lot. Good writing style too, you just fly through the chapters. It's darkly funny and a little weird. Maybe the worldbuilding could've been a little better, now we are thrown in without a lot of further knowledge. Yes, there's mutated animals, radio and tv changed, etc etc. But why? Liked to know a little more about the politics of it all. I don't think he spends more than one paragraph explaining; it's a pretty useless scifi world, with people living in it who don't know any better, never knew a "normal world". Kinda bleak, kinda sad, doesn't make it a better story.

The noir side of things is much better, pretty hard-boiled, quick dialogue, violent, funny and even a little sexy in a weird way.