Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2017 Plans > Tammy's 2017 Challenge is DONE!!!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tammy (last edited Nov 01, 2017 08:28PM) (new)

Tammy | 704 comments The 2017 List
1. A book from the Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 (link): Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead (3.25 Stars)
2. A book with at least 2 perspectives (multiple points of view): Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (4.5 Stars)
3. A book you meant to read in 2016: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Euginides (4 Stars)
4. A title that doesn't contain the letter "E": Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis (4 Stars)
5. A historical fiction: Molaka'I by Alan Brennert (2.5 Stars)
6. A book being released as a movie in 2017: Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff (3.75 Stars) (Now slated for 2018)
7. A book with an animal on the cover or in the title: Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (4.5 stars)
8. A book written by a person of color: The Sellout by Paul Beatty (5 Stars)
9. A book in the middle of your To Be Read list: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (3.5 Stars)
10. A dual-timeline novel - Geek Love by Katherine Dunn (3.5 Stars)
"11. A category from another challenge: Out by Natsuo Kirino (4 Stars)
Difficult Books Challenge"
12. A book based on a myth: Till We Have Faces by CS Lewis (4 Stars)
13. A book recommended by one of your favorite authors: Stoner by John Williams (4.75 Stars)
14. A book with a strong female character: The Awakening by Kate Chopin (4 Stars)
15. A book written or set in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Iceland): A Man Called Ove by FrederiK Backman (4.25 Stars)
16. A mystery: Defending Jacob by William Landay (2.75 Stars)
17. A book with illustrations: Breakfast of champions, or, Goodbye blue Monday! By Kurt Vonnegut (4 Stars)
18. A really long book (600+ pages): Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (5 Stars)
19. A New York Times best-seller: The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (3.25 Stars)
20. A book that you've owned for a while but haven't gotten around to reading: The Corrections by Jonathon Franzen (4.5 Stars)
21. A book that is a continuation of a book you've already read: Bite Me by Christopher Moore (2.75 Stars)
22. A book by an author you haven't read before: Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee (4.25 Stars)
23. A book from the BBC "The Big Read" list (link): Tess of the d'Ubervilles: A Pure Woman by Thomas Hardy (4.5 Stars)
24. A book written by at least two authors: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (2.25 Stars)
25. A book about a famous historical figure: Chronicles: Vol I by Bob Dylan (3.75 Stars)
26. An adventure book: The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists by Gideon Defoe (3.25 Stars)
27. A book by one of your favorite authors: Child of God by Cormac McCarthy (4.5 Stars)
28. A non-fiction: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly by Jean Dominique Bauby (4.25 Stars)
29. A book published outside the 4 major publishing houses (Simon & Schuster; HarperCollins; Penguin Random House; Hachette Livre) : The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski (4.25 Stars)
30. A book from Goodreads Top 100 YA Books (link): The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (4.25 Stars)
31. A book from a sub-genre of your favorite genre: Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor (4 Stars)
32. A book with a long title (5+ words, excluding subtitle): We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (4 Stars)
33. A magical realism novel: The Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (5 Stars)
34. A book set in or by an author from the Southern Hemisphere: By Night in Chile by Roberto Bolano (4.75 Stars)
35. A book where one of the main characters is royalty: The Pale King by David Foster Wallace (4.5 Stars)
36. A Hugo Award winner or nominee (link): The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (4 Stars)
37. A book you choose randomly: End Zone by Don DeLillo (4 Stars)
38. A novel inspired by a work of classic literature: A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (4.75 Stars)
39. An epistolary fiction: The Legacy of Lucy Harte by Emma Heatherington (2 Stars)
40. A book published in 2017: Beartown by Frederick Backman (3.5 Stars)
41. A book with an unreliable narrator: The Tin Drum by Gunter Grass (4.5 Stars)
42. A best book of the 21st century (so far): The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Charbon (4 Stars)
43. A book with a chilling atmosphere (scary, unsettling, cold): The Road by Cormac McCarthy (4.75 Stars)
44. A recommendation from "What Should I Read Next" (link): Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind (3.75 Stars)
45. A book with a one-word title: Suttree by Cormac McCarthy (5 Stars)
46. A time travel novel: Replay by Ken Grimwood (3.5 Stars)
47. A past suggestion that didn't win (link): Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale (1.5 Stars)
(A book you are expecting to hate)"
48. A banned book: American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis (4 Stars)
49. A book from someone else's bookshelf: The Book of Laughter and Forgetting by Milan Kundera (4.75 Stars)
50. A Penguin Modern Classic - any edition: BUtterfield 8 by John O'Hara (4 Stars)
51. A collection (e.g. essays, short stories, poetry, plays): Slouching Towards Bethlehme by Joan Didion (4 Stars)
52. A book set in a fictional location: In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan (4 Stars)

message 2: by Tammy (last edited Oct 23, 2017 05:55AM) (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Okay...I'm in the home stretch for the 2017 reading challenge. I have 5 books to go. My books for weeks 17, 30, 35 and 36 have been checked out from the library. Number 40 is still on hold and I'm waiting to pick it up. I'm currently reading Man in the High Castle.

17. A book with illustrations: Breakfast of champions, or, Goodbye blue Monday! By Kurt Vonnegut
30. A book from Goodreads Top 100 YA Books (link): The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
35. A book where one of the main characters is royalty: The Yamato Dynasty: The Secret History of Japan's Imperial Family by Sterling Seagrave
36. A Hugo Award winner or nominee (link): The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
40. A book published in 2017: Mrs. Fletcher by Tom Perrotta

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I am 3 books away from completion. I've started The Book Thief and have the 2nd to last book at home. I am #124 in line waiting for the third book from the library. I hope I get it before the year ends. I might have to choose another book if I don't move up in the line soon. Fortunately they have something like 36 copies, so I feel confident that I should get it some time within the next month!
30. A book from Goodreads Top 100 YA Books (link): The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

35. A book where one of the main characters is royalty: The Yamato Dynasty: The Secret History of Japan's Imperial Family by Sterling Seagrave

40. A book published in 2017: Mrs. Fletcher by Tom Perrotta

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Wow, woman. Good work. I'm not late to the party & I still have 11 books left. Hopefully your book on hold comes in soon!

message 5: by Tammy (last edited Nov 01, 2017 08:36PM) (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I am finished! I had to swap my #40 selection because I am #117 in the wait line for the book. Fortunately I've read two books from 2017 this month as side reads. I fully intend to read my first selection once it becomes available at the library. I also changed the Royalty topic to The Pale King because it was so epic that I wanted it on my final list. I'm actually reading my original selection right now, so it is a minor infraction.

Tammy's Best Books Read in 2017
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (Oy! This book made my head hurt, but I came to love it in the end)
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The Road by Cormac McCarthy (I've never read a book that made me want to become a prepper so badly!)
Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
Tess by Thomas Hardy (I had no idea that I would enjoy this book so much. I only read it because of its significance in A Prayer for Owen Meany)
By Night in Chile by Roberto Bolaño
By Night in Chile by Roberto Bolano (I am currently reading a book of his short stories because I liked this one so much)
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami (I told my mom to read this....she thought it was weird).
Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee
Disgrace by JM Coetzee (I've never read any of his other work, but this was a seriously good book.)
The Sellout by Paul Beatty
The Sellout by Paul Beatty (This made me laugh...and cringe...a lot)
Stoner by John Williams
Stoner by John Williams (Really glad I found this one even if it has zero to do with stoners)

The Clunkers of 2017
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
I really did not like this one.
Everything We Keep (Everything We Keep, #1) by Kerry Lonsdale
Just terrible.
The Legacy of Lucy Harte A poignant, life-affirming novel that will make you laugh and cry by Emma Heatherington
VROOOM F!

message 6: by Tracy (last edited Nov 01, 2017 08:16PM) (new)

Tracy | 123 comments We are in the minority I think, but I did not like The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society either.

Congratulations on finishing! I still have 7 more to go, so wish me luck!

message 7: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I will be cheering you on. As a fellow potato pie hater, you can be sure that I've got your back!

message 8: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments Congratulations! 🍾

Isn't Stoner just incredible? I think it's such an underrated book, but it just made me feel so much.

message 9: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Congrats :)

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Jody wrote: "Congratulations! 🍾

Isn't Stoner just incredible? I think it's such an underrated book, but it just made me feel so much."

Yes, Jody, Stoner was wonderful! I really loved that quiet little book. I believe I read it for the author recommended prompt and I'm really happy to have found it!

message 11: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments I'd never even heard of it, but kept seeing it in the English bookstore here (it permanently had a staff recommendation tag on it) and eventually succumbed. I'm so glad I did.

message 12: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1315 comments Congrats 😀

Great list. I was pleasantly surprised by Stoner as well. I was close to giving up after the first 50-100 pages but I'm glad I kept reading.

Disgrace has been on my tbr for ages. Maybe I should squeeze it in next year.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2216 comments Congrats, Tammy. I'm two books away from finishing.

message 14: by Tammy (last edited Nov 02, 2017 09:39AM) (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Marina H wrote: "Congrats 😀

Great list. I was pleasantly surprised by Stoner as well. I was close to giving up after the first 50-100 pages but I'm glad I kept reading.

Disgrace has been on my tbr for..."

Marina, Disgrace is another quiet, yet powerful, book. Short and worth the time spent!

Kathy wrote: "Congrats, Tammy. I'm two books away from finishing."

Go Kathy! 2 More books and then you are in free reading heaven!

I just noticed that all of my favorites this year were by men and that all of my "clunkers" were by women. Ugh. That was not intentional. I want to pay proper respect to Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood, Natsuo Kirino's Out, Joan Didioun's Slouching Towards Bethlehem and to Shirley Jackson's "We Have Always Lived in the Castle." They were excellent books! All in all, I would say about 35 books on my list were 4 Stars or higher. And there were only about 5 that I really disliked.

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2544 comments Congrats Tammy! Great selection of books. There are so many of them that are on my TBR list. I'm curious if you saw the documentary related to The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Watching it was what inspired me to read the book. Such an amazing story!

message 16: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Pam, that movie made me cry so hard.

message 17: by Ali (new)

Ali (alide_08) | 213 comments Congrats!!!

message 18: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Nice job!!!! Now you two months to read whatever lights ur fancy!!!