Play Book Tag discussion

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
This topic is about The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Archive: Other Books > The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 783 comments In this book by author Neil Gaiman, an unnamed narrator is in the town he grew up on for a funeral. He ends up driving past where he lived as a child to the end of the lane. Here he goes to Hempstock's farmhouse to ask about an old friend named Lettie. As he is there, he remembers what events that happened to him and Lettie when he was a seven years old boy.

This is a wonderfully written story. Lettie, her mother and grandmother are not what they appear to be. And the boy's nanny, Ursula Monkton, is not either. There are supernatural forces, monsters, and large hungry birds in the book. It is scary for the boy, but the Hemstock's make him feel safe.

The author had added interesting ideas into the book. How a pond or even a bucket of water can be like the ocean. It can take life and even give it back. He has the boy's father not really understand the son, which gives the reader insight into their lives. This book surprised me with how much I enjoyed it.

Susie | 4488 comments I really enjoyed this book. It was my first experience of Gaiman.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book, probably enhanced by my seeing him speak and read from the book, and a lovely presentation and Q&A with his wife Amanda Palmer. But my first Gaiman still holds a special part of my heart - The Graveyard Book.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8292 comments Still never read a Gaiman. Maybe I'll pick one as a personal challenge for next year. He seems touted so highly by everyone. I think Stardust by him is on my TBR.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2191 comments Amy wrote: "Still never read a Gaiman. Maybe I'll pick one as a personal challenge for next year. He seems touted so highly by everyone. I think Stardust by him is on my TBR."

I love him Amy but not Stardust as much as The Graveyard Book - that was my first and I was absolutely hooked. I listened to the audio and it was read by Gaiman - excellent.

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments This is my favorite Gaiman. Loved it.

message 7: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Amy wrote: "Still never read a Gaiman. Maybe I'll pick one as a personal challenge for next year. He seems touted so highly by everyone. I think Stardust by him is on my TBR."

I didn't think I'd love Gaiman as much as everyone else does here just because of genre preference- but I'm loving American Gods. Haven't read this one, but he's definitely on my map now. This description of this book sounds like something I generally wouldn't like- but since it's Gaiman I'd be willing to give it a shot.

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6277 comments Kelly wrote: "In this book by author Neil Gaiman, an unnamed narrator is in the town he grew up on for a funeral. He ends up driving past where he lived as a child to the end of the lane. Here he goes to Hempsto..."

Glad you loved this one, Kelly! I think Gaiman really knows how to write.