Space Opera Fans discussion

Space Opera Movie/TV tie-ins > Who's gonna see Blade Runner 2049? Why?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Follansbee (joe_follansbee) | 3 comments Ok, so it's not strictly space opera, but everyone's talking about Blade Runner 2049. Are you going to see it this weekend? Why would a space opera fan see it?

Me? I'm a huge fan of the original Blade Runner and I love Ridley Scott's and Denis Villeneuve's films (Raves for Arrival).

message 2: by Martin (new)

Martin Wilsey | 27 comments 1) I love the original film.
2) Ridley Scott
3) Harrison Ford
4) I see all the SCIFI movies.
5) Memento Mori.

message 3: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie (ronnieb) | 322 comments Yep. Booked myself a ticket for Sunday afternoon in glorious IMAX 3D poker-your-eye-out-o-vision.

Given that the running time is more or less two and three quarter hours, I'm kind of hoping there's an intermission in the middle of the movie, so people can go and pee. ;)

message 4: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie (ronnieb) | 322 comments I'll just have to go to the Gents before the movie starts, and not drink anything. ;)

message 5: by Trike (last edited Oct 06, 2017 01:07PM) (new)

Trike | 589 comments J.G. wrote: "Ok, so it's not strictly space opera, ."

By "not strictly" you mean "not at all". :p

I might see it in theatres because I really liked Denis Villeneuve's Sicario and loved Arrival, but I picked up a head cold and I'm in the painful early stages, so I don't want to infect anyone else. (Unlike the teenager in the library who coughed on me last week, the little bastard.)

I'm not a fan of the original, but I like the writer on this one, too, so maybe it will be okay.

message 6: by Melvin (last edited Oct 06, 2017 08:52PM) (new)

Melvin Patterson (mkpatt) | 31 comments There were some pretty good reviews and I liked the original mostly. I have the directors cuts of the original so yeah I will probably go see it.

message 7: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 303 comments Is it true that the new movie assumes Deckard is a replicant? That theory spoiled the original for me.

message 8: by Liliana (new)

Liliana (lilf) I actually went to see it last night, and there was no intermission!
I won't spoil anything, but just say that they tried to expand on the world-building, that was quite interesting. But the movie felt way too long for me. Some things could've just been completely left out.

message 9: by Liliana (new)

Liliana (lilf) Steph wrote: "Is it true that the new movie assumes Deckard is a replicant? That theory spoiled the original for me."

No, it does not.

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) I saw it this weekend. I didn't like the first movie much but this was very enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised. The stylistic elements were beautiful (the sets especially). I thought the acting was great.

The movie was definitely drawn out longer than it needed to be, but I was mostly okay with it. My only big issues were there were a few unbelievable over-powered MC parts and the score was awfully loud in many parts.

message 11: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie (ronnieb) | 322 comments If I'm being brutally honest, the film could've been doing with at least twenty minutes cut from it, and it would still have made sense.

I'm not talking about whole scenes (although I shudder to think how long the eventual director's cut will be), a trim here and a trim there just to tighten things up a little.

message 12: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 339 comments I saw it on Sunday. Thought it was excellent. Was a little disappointed with the ending, but can see why they did it that way.

message 13: by Ronnie (new)

Ronnie (ronnieb) | 322 comments If I had the money (which I don't at the moment), I'd buy a coat like Ryan Goslings. It looked really warm and comfy. :)

message 14: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 66 comments Ronnie wrote: "I'm not talking about whole scenes (although I shudder to think how long the eventual director's cut will be), a trim here and a trim there just to tighten things up a little. "

Can't find the interview right now, but the director has stated that there will be no alternate cuts. He made the movie he wanted to make.

message 15: by Liliana (last edited Oct 10, 2017 04:01AM) (new)

Liliana (lilf) Heather wrote: "My only big issues were there were a few unbelievable over-powered MC parts and the score was awfully loud in many parts."

Wow! I thought it was from the theatre I went to see it in, but I too noticed how loud some parts were... And the music felt repetitive and annoying sometimes because of that too.

message 16: by odedo1 (new)

odedo1 Audio book worm.  | 61 comments Ok, there might be more but for me Blade Runner was the first and only time that the movie is actually better than the book ( which it's always the book is better but not on this one ) and I'm also a big fan of Blade Runner, I believe that it's the best SiFi Movie ever made so many years ago and it's still the best.
That's says something!!!

message 17: by odedo1 (new)

odedo1 Audio book worm.  | 61 comments Heather needs to understand how old this movie is, they used the tools of that time and it might not be perfect today but it sure was when it came out, they actually over succeeded all the competition easily.
It was ahead of its time and 35 years later it's still good!! There are not many that managed this!!!

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) It's true, by the last 4th of the movie the score got to be too repetitive. I think it was so loud because they wanted the juxtaposition of the quiet of them in the snow and such with the loud score but it was too jarring with a movie that long.

I just saw the original too late to enjoy it as much as others. I saw it maybe 9 years ago. By that point it was too dated for someone non-nostalgic like me.

That said - I think Plan 9 From Outer Space is the best sci-fi movie of all time.

message 19: by Tony (new)

Tony Laplume (tonylaplume) | 3 comments I’ll see this eventually. I like storytelling with soul, and Blade Runner seems to be as soulful as sci-fi gets.