Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > 2018 is around the corner

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3957 comments Mod
I will try to get a list of books up soon that our eligible for next years Quarterly Reads and we already have our annual read for next year. So keep a look out and be thinking about what quarterly group reads you would like to nominate for next year.

message 2: by Kristel (new)

The first question? Is there still interest in doing an annual read (John has indicated a falling off of interest in the annual read? Shall we make them all Quarterly reads.

Water Margin, Volume 1Water Margin, Volume 2 is our next book and my app states that it is 2150 pages so that would be a long quarterly read, over 700 pages a month. Doable but does anyone want to do that plus other books.

Let me know your wishes.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kristel wrote: "The first question? Is there still interest in doing an annual read (John has indicated a falling off of interest in the annual read? Shall we make them all Quarterly reads.

[book:Water Margin, V..."

I would prefer to keep the annual read. I’m probably not able to read a book the size of the annual reads for a seasonal read

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 557 comments I agree with Jen.

message 5: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments Is The Water Margin next year’s annual read?

message 6: by Dree (new)

Dree | 243 comments I am definitely interested in doing this as an annual read. I am unlikely to tackle it on my own.

message 7: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments How are quarterly reads chosen?

message 8: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments I agree with Dree. I would definitely need a kick in the kindle to get through this.

message 9: by Kristel (new)

Chinook wrote: "How are quarterly reads chosen?"
I need to go through the list of potential quarterly reads and post it here and then we will have a short period of time where people can nominate the ones they want and then we will from the nominated books (in November). Everyone gets 4 votes and 3 books will be chosen from top vote gitters and one book is chosen by randomizer from all t he books that were nominated. Order is determined by the randomizer. So I hope to get this list up soon. Just need to finish up my reading of Blind Assassin for this week.

message 10: by Kristel (last edited Oct 07, 2017 05:36PM) (new)

Sushicat wrote: "Is The Water Margin next year’s annual read?"
Yes, we have been going in order from longest to shortest but of course we will be skipping those not translated to English.

Here's the annual read list
Remembrance of Things Past 2014
A Dance to the Music of Time 2015
Taebaek Mountain Range* Not translated yet, except French
One Thousand and One Nights** We skipped over this because we had just read it as a seasonal book the year before we started doing Annual Reads. 2013
The Story of the Stone 2016
Romance of the Three Kingdoms current, 2017 annual read
Water Margin 2018
Pilgrimage
Monkey: A Journey to the West
Jahrestage*** only abridged translation for English but supposedly a full translation is on the way.
Joseph and His Brothers

message 11: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1353 comments I would like to keep the annual read, too. I haven't done well this year, but still hope to read it, I have managed the other annual reads and have had great satisfaction in crossing them off the list.

message 12: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 466 comments I like the idea, but I'll have to see if I can find a copy of Water Margin. My library most definitely doesn't have it.