The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Thrillers of any Kind > What makes a good book blurb?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 20 comments What is it about a book blurb that makes you want to pick up a book and find out more? We're running a poll at the moment with 3 different blurbs for a thriller. Which is your favourite?

Goodreads poll

After you've done the poll come back and let us know on this thread what it is that makes one work for you and another fail.

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Cope | 10 comments Hi Ian
I just finished reading Eavesdrop and its a great book! Here's a link to the review I posted on the mystery thriller readers group. Keep up the good work!
All the best, Gord
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 20 comments Thanks Gordon. Delighted you enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the trouble to post a review.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Carrabis (josephcarrabis) | 27 comments Isn't the blurb more about the audience than about the book?

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Coates (iancoatesthrillers) | 20 comments Joseph wrote: "Isn't the blurb more about the audience than about the book?"

Probably. Do you mean that a blurb needs to be something that the audience can associate with in some way, rather than just be the bare facts about a book? If so, I agree... and that certainly seems to being borne out by results of this poll experiment.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Carrabis (josephcarrabis) | 27 comments Ian wrote: "Joseph wrote: "Isn't the blurb more about the audience than about the book?"

Probably. Do you mean that a blurb needs to be something that the audience can associate with in some way, rather than ..."

Yes, Ian, that's pretty much it. I'm sure we've all seen bookcovers with some image that has nothing to do with the story or is peripheral at best. Likewise, I've read blurbs that were pure marketing hype regarding content.
As for myself, I lean heavily on other (trusted) people's opinions.
Someone (I forget who) said "I don't judge a book by its cover, I judge a cover by the cover and a book by its contents." I appreciate that.

message 7: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2268 comments I think a good blurb walks the thin line between revealing just enough to pique the reader's interest and revealing so much that the reader says, "Read it by someone else."

But above all, a book blurb must be an honest reflection of the book. I've picked up several books based on the blurb only to find out the blurb had very little in common with the story (one was so far out in left field, the only thing it shared with the story was the main character's name.). When I run into this, I mention it in my review - calling for a 'Truth in Blurbs' law.

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Carrabis (josephcarrabis) | 27 comments Quillracer wrote: "Truth in blurbs law..."

I'll vote for it.