What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA, time travel. girl lives in past, but jumps to the present. Just before she jumps, she is shot during some kind of a large altercation. A family finds her on the side of the road in the present and adopts her. She is paralyzed. Spoiler ahead.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Clemons-Johnson | 2 comments Young adult fiction book written before 2002. I don't remember much. I think I read this when I was really into the underground railroad, so it might take place around that time period? I read it in elementary school, probably between 1998-2002 but that doesn't necessarily mean it was geared toward elementary school age students as I used to be at an advanced reading level.

In this, a girl lives in the past, but jumps time to the present. Just before she jumps, she is shot during some kind of a large altercation. A family finds her on the side of the road in the present and adopts her. She is paralyzed due to the wound she sustained and is in a wheelchair. Somehow, she ends up back in the past and changes it. She avoids getting hurt and winds up back in the present, without the need of a wheelchair. I think there may have been a fire during the altercation that lead to her being paralyzed? I'm not confident.

I read this many years ago and this is all I recall of it. I'm sorry it's so vague. Please, if this sounds at all familiar, could you please help. Please and thank you.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Oct 07, 2017 02:40PM) (new)

Kris | 35691 comments Mod
Amanda, is the story related in some way to the underground railroad?

What's the location - country, region, big city/small town?

Added a spoiler alert to the topic header.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Clemons-Johnson | 2 comments I am not positive if it is related to the underground railroad. I think it MIGHT be because I read a LOT of books about the subject when I was a kid but it's been almost two decades since I've read this. I don't know the location that the book took place in, I'm sorry. I've been searching for this book with no results for over ten years. I wish I remembered more.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39819 comments Mod
Amanda, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 5: by Mighty_felix (new)

Mighty_felix | 39 comments I think you are looking for Ghost Hotel by Larry Weinberg. The cover is ridiculous, and the title has almost nothing to do with the story. But this sounds very much like what you are describing.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20127 comments Ghost Hotel for the link.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ghost Hotel (other topics)