Gillifans discussion

He's Back

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments Gilli has posted and he's a little down in the mouth but things will get better.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments Yes, absolutely! the down moments are just that, passing blips, you have to learn to recognize them, to be over them quickly.
I wish so strongly I was able to give Gilli a hug, like, just that, and maybe a cup of tea lol Hopefully his visits to the therapist are helping him some.

Maybe we'll get an April's Fools story much like The Wrinckle in length? Fingers crossed!

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments I saw his post yesterday and fired off what I hope is an encouraging email. He seems despondent a lot lately. July and August had him battling with Shane. He's depressed about autumn presaging winter and the holidays. I don't know if he's still in therapy. If he is, it might be that he's bringing some uncomfortable feelings to the surface that are contributing to his
mood.

I also wondered if the medicine he takes for epilepsy might have a side effect of depression. If it does, I'm sure Shane has already figured it out.

I'd love to be in Eileen's shoes - right across the street and always available for a chat, a cup of tea, and hugs.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments i read most medicine for epilepsy have depressing moods as a side effect sadly, yeah.

message 5: by Mi (new)

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Pat Thanks, Mi! I have been watching his diary and missed this too because he never posted an announcement there.

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 88 comments Me too! I loved it! It was hysterical!

message 8: by Bree Cheese (new)

Bree Cheese  (bree-cheese) | 24 comments Whaaat?!? I must read this now. Thanks for posting this!

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments Thanks for letting us know. I'm leaving goodreads and heading over to Smashwords now to buy it.

message 10: by Selen (new)

Selen | 21 comments Thanks Mi, how did you find it?

message 11: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments Mi - thank you SO MUCH. I've been waiting for him to announce it. I'm with Selen - how on earth did you find it? I just bought it and can't wait to read it.

message 12: by Mi (last edited Nov 01, 2017 10:26PM) (new)

Mi | 13 comments I saw it when I accidentally went to the My Books tab. Then I clicked on the picture and it led me to smashwords. It says that the book was released on October 14th. Idky he never announced it. Is it on goodreads yet?

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments Mi wrote: "I saw it when I accidentally went to the My Books tab. Then I clicked on the picture and it led me to smashwords. It says that the book was released on October 17th. Idky he never announced it. Is ..."

It is on Goodreads. I saw it there yesterday.

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments It's not on Amazon - I just checked. I was surprised that when I bought it on Smashwords, the COVER was for 'Snakes...' but the first story was 'The Cactus Incident'. Snakes was the second story, and Cat on the Duvet was the third. Took me awhile to figure it out. I thought I had a misprint.

message 15: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments I still don't understand - how did Mi see it in My Books? I've never used that feature of Goodreads. Do books for favorite authors show up there as they're published?

message 16: by Mi (new)

Mi | 13 comments Oh sorry, I meant My Books on Gilli's website!

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments Thanks, Mi. That explains it. I'm still surprised he didn't say something on his blog - especially since it's been available for two weeks.

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments Saw today his new post for November and bam! Just bought it, now to read it!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments it was great! lol reading some paragraphs (the ballet line? pfffffff) I loved it! Classic Gilli

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 19 comments So I just re-read all of Gilli's books and now I feel kind of sad that I can't read further. I'm just so curious to know what happened after that horrible Christmas for Gilli and how he and Dick & Shane dealt with the sadly events that happened that year. Anyone else who feels this way after (re-)reading Gilli's books? Let's hope that we won't have to wait to long before Revelations is finished.

message 21: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments Oh i'm sure we all feel that way. Gilli decided he needed a break right at the middle of the story. but understandibly so, because it is also a very difficult moment in his life... i don't know if he will finish it, but at least there's the first chapter uploaded to the blog, and he said he's coming along with Revs although of course at his own pace. release date, there's none. but my feeling is sooner or later we will get it

message 22: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments Gilli has a November post. Last time it was about washing machines. This time, it's about leaves.

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments Thank-you.

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments thank you!!!!!!
oh, waiting for that new chapter he said he will publish soon

message 25: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments I feel bad that Gilli feels he's let us down because he hasn't made much progress on Revelations. I'd love to read Revs (of course), but I'm perfectly content to have him post diary entries and the occasional short story.

He sounds very busy with all the company at the quasi-mansion and trying to clean up the f****** leaves!!

message 26: by Sharon (last edited Nov 19, 2018 03:00PM) (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments He has updated his library and posted his promised chapter.

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments Thank you, Sharon. I didn't notice he added the new chapter. What a GREAT houseboy our Gilli is.

message 28: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments You're welcome. The chapter is quite a read.

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments yeah... i felt nervious reading it

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (quarterlifepotato) | 35 comments OMG. where is the new chapter? I visited his blog and there is only the first chapter. there is a new one? where? :)

message 31: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (quarterlifepotato) | 35 comments oh I see the link now in the november diary. gonna read it. excited and nervous.

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments This was quite a chapter. I have so much to say, but I think I'll break it down into a few separate posts.

First, I have a question about this paragraph.

The information on the tag was in minuscule script, but it leapt out at me like a boxing glove on a spring, making me reel. Jesus! Talk about being hit by the truth. I heard mum’s voice in my head regarding the bracelet and certificate, also recalling the look she had flicked at me. ‘You might want to put them somewhere safe.’ Why had it never registered before? She knew.

What did his mother know? Why is it significant that she tells Gilli to put them somewhere safe? I think most people would keep their birth certificate safe - not necessarily the little bracelot, though.

Can someone fill me in?

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments I was surprised that Gilli talked about two of the things that I found the most troubling in CAL.

First - Dick's comment about the paranoia indicative of Gilli's class.

I'm not sure I buy Dick's explanation about why he said that. Yes, I'm sure Gilli teases Dick about his 'posh' attitude - but it IS teasing. Dick was NOT teasing. And while I understand that Gilli sometimes gets 'the wrong end of the stick' (as he puts it), I think he deserved to be listened to and believed in this case, not dismissed.

I know there are caveats here: Dick and Shane didn't know about 'the box', for starters. Gilli was badly upset and deliberately chose to keep his anger to himself. I kind of understand that, actually. There are times you just want to feel what you feel and not be talked out of it by the sweet voice of reason. But all the more reason, in my opinion, for Dick to have listened to Gilli.

Actually, by the end of CAL, I think at least Shane and Leo had suspected something was afoot. Shane, in particular, would NEVER have given Gilli a pass on the 'prawn shell' incident if he didn't think it was justified. And Leo (can't find the quote right now) threatened Vince a little about what Vince might expect the next day when they had the BDSM party.

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

message 34: by Jennifer (last edited Nov 21, 2018 05:23PM) (new)

Jennifer (quarterlifepotato) | 35 comments Cheryl wrote: "This was quite a chapter. I have so much to say, but I think I'll break it down into a few separate posts.

First, I have a question about this paragraph.

The information on the tag was in minuscu..."

I want to help you but I also did not understand that part. and I'm also very curious about that. what is that truth? and why it needs to be somewhere safe. I was wondering if I missed something in the books and need to read again.

I also did not understand this part where he said his mother is not alone in his dream.

Her shouts and screams lingered in my mind. Weren’t recurring dreams supposed to mean something? I furrowed my brow as something came back to me, something not noticed the first time. Someone else had been there.

But I did not get who his mother is shouting at. Is it him?

maybe those will be clearer in future chapters. But if someone can help better understand that will be great.

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments i think there are things that wil be revealed in later chapters.. if i rememer correctly gilli was really upset with his mom the last time he saw her before her passing because he accused her of hiding some things he found out in her last days... i think he said something along this lines in his entry of march 2009... so maybe is somethinhg we will found out later... it catched my attention too tbh.

as for his dream... back in CAL he dreamt with his mom that was being shot at her stomach, and he simbolized it as an indicative f her terminal cancer... now the dreams are back and noticed someone else in the dream.. i don't know... it may be another simbolism. i suspect he will tells us more in future chapters.

i also found Dicks apology juust.. not enough. sometimes his apologies or comments come across to me as a little forced.. i don't know if i'm just misreading the way gilli writes them or... i don't know really. But i do thing Dick was really shocked to hear Gilli's come back, maybe Dick didn't expect Gilli to remember his unfortunate words. in any case, i said a little 'ha-ha!' when i read that part haha!

message 36: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments The links to the chapters of his new book are not working and I've lost his email address. If someone has his email could they please let me know. Others want to read.

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments gillibran_brown@yahoo.co.uk
i think that's the one

message 38: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments Thanks, Andrea

message 39: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments you're welcome !

message 40: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments The links to the chapters are now up and working. He said that they had been removed after a complaint.

message 41: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (quarterlifepotato) | 35 comments Sharon wrote: "The links to the chapters are now up and working. He said that they had been removed after a complaint."

Complaint? someone complained? Why? :s

message 42: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments He mentions the complaint briefly in his diary.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (quarterlifepotato) | 35 comments Sharon wrote: "He mentions the complaint briefly in his diary."
Oh I see. I read it now. he updated the diary with it.

message 44: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments I have a guess about the complaint. I don't remember the details, but I remember a very old diary entry where Gilli said his books (maybe) were banned or something because someone thought the Daddy/boy dynamic was about incest.

Again - just my guess - but as Gilli said, someone stumbled into his blog and (I'm guessing) thought the story was about incest or child abuse.

One thing I'm sure of is that it couldn't have been anyone who's read Gilli's books. There's nothing in those chapters that's any more explicit than his diary entries or his other stories.

message 45: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Cox (bodleian) | 77 comments I reread the latest chapter and there is some sex in it. Gilli also mentions Daddy. In the sex scene Gilli is tied up and taken by Shane so someone could have been offended by this. We know that it is part of their lifestyle but someone new or a bit of a fanatic may not understand this.

message 46: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments That was my guess, Sharon. Not that exact scene necessarily, but Gilli referring to Shane as Daddy.

message 47: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments No one familiar with Gilli's writing would be offended by anything in those chapters.

message 48: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 136 comments New entry today. gilli is with a case of bad guts lol poor gilli.

message 49: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments Thanks, Andrea. Haven't read it yet, but Gilli seems to suffer that particular ailment a fair amount. I wonder if it's a side effect of his meds.

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 339 comments I guess it can't be a side effect of his meds since Dick got it as well. Shane, as usual, seems to have escaped.

Poor Gilli and Dick. It must be hard to get in the holiday spirit after that.

« previous 1