Old Books, New Readers discussion

Archived > War and Peace - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marta (last edited Oct 07, 2017 03:18PM) (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 214 comments We will take our time with this book. The read will run through the entire third quarter of 2017.

The book is separated into fifteen books of uneven size, and two epilogues. The following is a schedule for the 13 weeks left of 2017.

October
Week 1 - oct-01 - oct-07: Book 1
Week 2 - oct-08 - oct-14: Book 2
Week 3 - oct-15 - oct-21: Book 3, and Book 4 chapters 1-15
Week 4 - oct-22 - oct-28: Book 4 chapters 16-22, Book 5
Week 5 - oct-29 - nov-04: Book 6, Book 7 chapters 1-6

November
Week 6 - nov-05 - nov-11: Book 7 chapters 7-13, Book 8
Week 7 - nov-12 - nov-18: Book 9
Week 8 - nov-19 - nov-25: Book 10 chapters 1-24
Week 9 - nov-26 - dec-02: Book 10 chapters 25-39, Book 11 chapters 1-10

December
Week 10 - dec-03 - dec-09: Book 11 chapters 11-34
Week 11 - dec-10 - dec-16: Book 12 & 13
Week 12 - dec-17 - dec-23: Book 14 & 15
Week 13 - dec-24 - dec-30: Epilogues 1& 2

Edit: My edition is 1476 pages, and this works out to about 114 pages per week.

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 235 comments Yay let’s do this! I just purchased my book last weekend.

message 3: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 214 comments Awesome! I am looking forward to it. I enjoyed Anna Karenina last year a lot. It is long - but never boring. I expect the same from War and Peace.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian | 331 comments Mod
Yay! I am pretty exited for this as well. I am going to be a bit delayed starting because I want to finish two books that I am currently reading (Jane Eyre and The Stranger) first so that War and Peace can have my undivided attention.

I would also like to finish it a week early, so that I can drop the fact that I read War and Peace into every conversation over the holidays:

"This turkey reminds me of the meal Viceroy Pavlovich had in Book 11 chapter 2..."

message 5: by Linda R, (new)

Linda R, This looks like a workable schedule. Thanks for putting in the time to set this up. It helps a lot to see where we are going.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 235 comments Lol Ian, finishing War and Peace a week early sounds like a great idea. I’m currently reading Jane Eyre as well so I’ll be juggling them both.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 235 comments So I started reading this and realized that the chapters in my book are different from that of the reading schedule. My book is divided into 5 volumes with different parts under each volume. At first I thought each part corresponded to each “book” because there are 15 parts, excluding the epilogue, but I realized they have different numbers of chapters. Is anyone’s version structured similarly to mine?

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Wendt Michelle,

I'm guessing you have an abridged version of War and Peace... Who is the translator? I've seen a lot of abridged copies out there translated by Princess Alexandra Kropotkin.

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 235 comments I have the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation. I doubt it’s an abridged version because of the translators and also because this book is over 1200 pages. I took a closer look by comparing the content with another version online and it seems that what’s labeled as “parts” here correspond to “books”. However, within each part or book, the chapters are separated differently. For example, chapters 3-5 in book one correspond to chapters 3-4 in volume 1, part 1 of my version.

Anyways it looks like I can follow the reading schedule. I will just have to cross reference with another version for the corresponding chapters when a book is read across two weeks.

message 10: by Marta (last edited Oct 07, 2017 03:21PM) (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 214 comments Hmm, I worked from a website - there are different editions. This the page I worked from - it has word counts so it helped me to find approximate sizes:
http://www.worldsmostboringwebsite.co...

I was trying to break it up along the books (parts - I also have seen them called volumes).

Basically you can follow the books = parts schedule; the chapters I just carved up based on percentage of chapters. The chapters do seem to be relatively uniform length.

message 11: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 214 comments Ian wrote: "I would also like to finish it a week early, so that I can drop the fact that I read War and Peace into every conversation over the holidays:

"This turkey reminds me of the meal Viceroy Pavlovich had in Book 11 chapter 2..."

I hope your friends and family will not be staring at you blankly...

PeekingLlama - Laura Hi Marta

From you link in post 10 i noticed that you have book 4 on week 3 and 4 as having 22 chapters but the world's most boring website has 16 chapters in book 4.

Laura

PeekingLlama - Laura Attention
heads up for people who bought this copy of the book from Kindle it starts at book 2

https://www.amazon.com.au/War-Peace-L...