Terminalcoffee discussion

Kazuo Ishiguro
This topic is about Kazuo Ishiguro
Books / Writing > Kazuo Ishiguro won the Nobel Prize.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24150 comments Mod
Thoughts?

I think he more or less deserved it. Although his last book The Buried Giant I thought was kind of flimsy. But The Unconsoled was terrific.

message 2: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3401 comments I haven't read The Unconsoled. Maybe this was the deciding one. >Remains of the Day was great, a model of understatement. Never Let Me Go was a depressing statement about the subjugation of the young. And don't even ask me what The Buried Giant was about. I felt it was a waste of time. I don't really see a great body of work here, compared to Dylan, Steinbeck, Hemingway, Faulkner, Munro. As Ishiguro himself said, "“Part of me feels like an imposter and part of me feels bad that I’ve got this before other living writers. Haruki Murakami, Salman Rushdie, Margaret Atwood, Cormac McCarthy, all of them immediately came into my head and I just thought wow, this is a bit of a cheek for me to have been given this before them." I agree.

message 3: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments I’ve read everything and I think he uses different themes for each books. ‘Remains of the Day’ was a between the Wars’ British book. ‘When we were Orphans’ was his mystery novel. ‘Never let me go’ was a dystopian novel. ‘The Buried Giant’ was Medieval fantasy. Some are better than others.

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 3401 comments This is motivating me to look for When We Were Orphans and The Unconsoled.