Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [October] Final Girls, by Riley Sager - Part 3 (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Oct 05, 2017 03:49PM) (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3: pages 235-342 ("One Week After Pine Cottage" - End)

Notes:
- Each member is asked to end with a question for the next member.
- If the person above you forgets to pose a question then just pick a different one from above (make sure you indicate which one you're answering!)
- If some other question from above moves you then feel free to answer as many as you want. It is a discussion after all!

Part 3 Questions:
1. What did you think of the book overall?
2. Were you surprised by the killer reveal?
3. What were your opinions on the character development, particularly Quincy's character?
4. Research reveals that the author is actually male. Does this affect your thoughts on the book? General thoughts? https://www.theguardian.com/books/sho...
5. Ask a question for the person below you!

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 57 comments Part 3 Questions:
1. What did you think of the book overall?

It definitely kept me guessing until the very end. I was suspicious of everyone but couldn't quite piece everything together which is what I good mystery should do to the reader.

2. Were you surprised by the killer reveal?

I was very suspicious of Coop near the end, but I didn't know he was actually the killer. I thought that Tina helped Joe in the woods like Quincy had first suspected.

3. What were your opinions on the character development, particularly Quincy's character?

I didn't like that Quincy put the homeless man in a coma. That just seemed completely unnecessary and out of character. It made it seem like she was the mental patient. She also kept making the same mistakes, for example, when she fell once again into the arms of a man who didn't really love her but was just offering comfort. I don't think she really developed a whole lot until the very end once she realizes what really happened at Pine Cottage.

4. Research reveals that the author is actually male. Does this affect your thoughts on the book? General thoughts? https://www.theguardian.com/books/sho...

That actually makes a lot of sense now. Some of the female character writing just didn't seem extremely believable. It felt like a man was writing for a woman. But other than that I was a good mystery.

Would you have preferred the story to end differently?

message 3: by DebsD (new)

DebsD | 7 comments Molly wrote: "Some of the female character writing just didn't seem extremely believable. It felt like a man was writing for a woman. "

Absolutely. The relationship between Quincy and Sam was so badly written. I mean, they're both so suspicious but they bond over baking? Between that and a number of other issues (formulaic choices, unrealistic situations), I gave this 1.5*

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrotondo) | 57 comments DebsD wrote: "Molly wrote: "Some of the female character writing just didn't seem extremely believable. It felt like a man was writing for a woman. "

Absolutely. The relationship between Quincy and Sam was so b..."

I gave it 3 stars just to give the actual mystery credit. But I agree how Sam and Quincy's relationship was so absurd. And I thought it was so stereotypical of Quincy to have suffered from such a tragedy but then resort to comfort baking as a career. It was a little much.

message 5: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments It was funny because at one point while reading this book, I stopped to look up the author because I thought, a women couldn't possibly have written this relationship. It is so false. I felt really validated to find out that I was right and it was actually a man. It's funny to me that even though he wrote with a gender neutral name, his writing made his gender obvious.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments I was also surprised by Coop being the bad guy. I definitely said he was one of my favorite characters at the beginning. He just appeared so put together and to be someone who genuinely cared.
I guess it was a good twist but I also had issues with the character development. Sam was bordering psychotic and Quincy also had very concerning violent incidents. Jeff just seemed like he didn’t really understood and cared about Quincy. I guess the author was trying to make all the characters (except Coop) suspicious, but in doing so they become unconvincing characters.

I gave the book 3 stars overall because it did manage to keep me engaged and interested in the plot, despite the character development flaws.

message 7: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Same. I thought it just felt like it came out of nowhere and didn't feel supported by the rest of the book. I guess the author had the shock factor down when he unveiled the bad guy, but the credibility of the book kind of fell apart for me at that moment. I was really invested up to that point.