A New Earth discussion

Chapter One Discussions > Is Humanity Ready for a Transformation of Consciousness?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) "Humanity is now faced with a stark choice: Evolve or die....If the structures of the human mind remain unchanged, we will always end up re-creating the same world, the same evils, the same dysfunction." (p. 21-22). Are you aware of this dysfunction? Where is it most apparent in your own life and in the world? Do you think humanity is ready for a transformation of consciousness? (Question for this thread taken from the class workbook.)

message 2: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn (evie77) I don't know if humanity is perfectly ready at this very moment but I can say that I believe it is much readier than it was thirty years ago. And, an interesting thought, Oprah has played a large part in raising consciousness in the general public during this time. Here she is now giving us another nudge!

message 3: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) When Tolle asks if humanity is ready for a transformation of consciousness, it seems to me that Tolle is speaking about a transformation that mankind has been wrestling to understand for thousands of years and still is. A New Earth is another way to reinforce these age-old teachings, no matter what your beliefs are.

In my personally held view, (which I trust you'll allow me) the "transformation of consciousness" that Tolle discusses began 2000 years ago when Christ came and taught that the Law of Moses was to be done away with. Christ's mission was to overcome the effects of man's separation from God which began when Adam and Eve left the presence of God. To overcome this separation, Christ gave up his life as a man who was part God in order to provide a way for man to return to God's presence and be redeemed.

I would say that Christ's teachings are central to the transformation that Tolle talks about: love and forgiveness, charity, hope and faith. Christ teaches of the need to "put off the natural man," which is in my mind, another word for the term "ego," that Tolle uses. Same thing.

I have been a student of world religions for many, many years. I feel a deep need to know God's will for me as I strive to fulfill my purpose in this life. There are many books, such as Tolle's, that speak of the need for us to awaken.

Although the gift of being able to converse with God through prayer, and the scriptures of my faith are my greatest source of inspiration and guidance, there are many teachings that also point to this need for man to awaken. The Buddha taught about the importance of compassion, for example. But that's another topic entirely.

message 4: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn (evie77) The mass delusion makes me feel like I'm fighting for survival every day, that I live in scarcity, pain, dissatisfaction, lack, hopelessness, numbness....

Can we tip the scales, soon? In my lifetime? I support anything and anybody that works for this. I am full of hope that this can be true! I am so grateful to Oprah for using her influence to support this endeavor. It is possible, yes. I don't know if it is likely. But after participating in A New Earth webinar, I think I will have a bigger view of this question and maybe form a more developed opinion.

message 5: by Evelyn (last edited Mar 06, 2008 07:19PM) (new)

Evelyn (evie77) OK, I just saw the uninterrupted show and it now occurs to me that a better question than "Is humanity ready for a transformation of consciousness?" is "Am *I* ready for a transformation of consciousness?" Whoa!

message 6: by Noni (new)

Noni Kaufman | 5 comments what a great distinction, Evelyn...change in consciousness starts within and others will perhaps interact with you in a new way. 500,000 people logged onto the webinar--there is a readiness ripe for the exploration!

Listening to the podcast and taking in the awareness of how ready for consciousness shifts so many are!

Awakening Into Oneness by Arjuna Ardagh addresses this as well!

message 7: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn (evie77) Thanks for your comment, Noni.

I could definitely feel the energy field of half a million people last Monday night! Pretty awe-inspiring.

You're the third person to recommend Awakening Into Oneness to me. I will definitely pick it up.