Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Author profile needs updating

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 12 comments The author bio for all Paul Brunton books but in particular in "A Search in Secret India" should read: "Paul Brunton was a British philosopher, mystic, researcher, and adventurer. He left a journalistic career to live among yogis, mystics, and holy men, and studied a wide variety of Eastern and Western esoteric teachings. With his entire life dedicated to an inward and spiritual quest, Brunton felt charged with the task of communicating his experiences to others and, as the first person to write accounts of what he learned in the East from a Western perspective, his works had a major influence on the spread of Eastern mysticism to the West. Taking pains to express his thoughts in layperson's terms, Brunton was able to present what he learned from the Orient and from ancient tradition as a living wisdom. His writings sum up his view that meditation and the inward quest are not exclusively for monks and hermits, but will also support those living normal, active lives in the Western world. Paul Brunton continued to write after his final publication in 1952, and a portion of his large archive of original writings were posthumously published by Larson Publications in the 1980s as The Notebooks of Paul Brunton (in 16 volumes). The entire archive will soon be housed and available to read at the Cornell University Kroch Library, Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections."

reply | edit | delete | flag *

☕ Lachgas ♿  (lachgas) | 6177 comments A link to the profile you mean would be helpful (and the book, although there should be no bio information in book description in general)
And a mention of what exactly you want us to change - just posting that wall of text without further information is not that helpful to verify if your wish is useful for the profile.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 12 comments There is a bio of Paul Brunton in A Search in Secret India by Paul Brunton which the Paul Brunton Philosophic Foundation would like to change since they didn't write it and it is not up to date. I am publisher at Larson Publications and they have asked me to please substitute the paragraph that is there in the author bio of A Search in Secret India with the one I put above.

message 4: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13664 comments Please provide a link to the author profile you want changed. There is more than one Paul Brunton.

An author bio is only added to the author profile, not to the books. Book descriptions are just that, for books.

message 6: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments The book description changed to meet GR policy.

The author profile description is fine and does not need amending

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 12 comments The current entry was made by someone on the Paul Brunton Philosophic Foundation who originally set up the Goodreads account but unfortunately has since died. The new board would like to submit the new entry. I may post a letter which explains their dilemma.

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 12 comments Dear Goodreads,
The Paul Brunton Philosophic Foundation is the copyright holder for all of Paul Brunton’s writings, both published and unpublished. Paul Brunton (the philosopher, not the dentist) died in 1981 and the Foundation was formed by his son and the copyrights transferred to it. Our Board has 12 members who serve for variable amounts of time. One of them created a Goodreads author profile but she failed to pass the login information to any other of the current Board Members before she died a few years ago and we have been unsuccessful in locating the ID or password. It is my responsibility now to maintain and update our online presence--I have since created a Paul Brunton author profile on Amazon and I am the contact for it. I am also a Goodreads member. Amy Cash has been trying to update the general author profile on Goodreads for us, and I thought that this might be possible since she is our publisher and a “librarian” in your system. So far she has not had success so that I why I am appealing to you to help us reset our login info so that I can access Goodreads for the Paul Brunton books. You can check our website: www.paulbrunton.org for more information on Paul Brunton, the Foundation, and me.

Thank you for your help,
Jeff Cox
For the Paul Brunton Philosophic Foundation

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13664 comments Amy wrote: ""I am appealing to you to help us reset our login info so that I can access Goodreads for the Paul Brunton books.""

I'm not sure a profile of a deceased author can be claimed by anyone, but either way, this must be dealt with by staff. Librarians are users who volunteer with maintaining the database.

As far as I know, the reason the author bio wasn't changed is because it is supposed to be neutral and not an advertisement for his publisher.

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 12 comments The Foundation is not advertising --their mission is to make the profile of the author (Paul Brunton) visible. There have been updates since the original member wrote the bio including the archiving of the original material. That should be of interest to anyone at Goodreads.

message 11: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5029 comments I won't comment on what is an isn't considered advertising for Goodreads, however I will repeat what other Librarians have already said - for this kind of request you will need to contact Goodreads Support directly, either using the Contact form from the About Us link in the footer of this page, or on support @ goodreads.com

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 12 comments Ok --we will try the staff contact. Thank you.