The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > October alt/co read? A Night In the Lonesome October

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean | 350 comments I definitely don't want to step on any toes, but I'd like to maybe propose an unofficial read for October - Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October. I think this would be a good pick for a couple reasons.

First, it takes place in October. Each chapter (except the first) covers a single day, ending on the 31st.

Second, and more importantly, I think some of the details of the book line up nicely with the official pick. Like the main pick, the book features a number of characters from Gothic fiction (or at least the Universal Films versions), though none are referred to by name. There's a Count who sleeps in a coffin and only comes out at night, the Good Doctor and his hulking companion, the 'Experiment man'; and, poking around the edges, the Great Detective. Also, there's a touch of horror in the vein of Lovecraft.

Third, this book is short. The Rediscovered Classics edition (released in 2014) clocks in at a whopping 288 pages. So for those who read fast (or get the audio version of the main pick), you can almost certainly get through both books before the month is out.

I'm planning on reading (or rather, re-reading) this regardless. Still, I'd like to share and discuss it you folks.

message 2: by John (Taloni) (last edited Oct 05, 2017 11:27AM) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3951 comments Sean wrote: "the Good Doctor and his hulking companion"

That's definitely the pop-culture version as the original Hyde was smaller than Dr. Jekyll.

Anyhoo, sounds interesting. *Mirror Universe Spock voice*: Sean, I shall consider it!

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments Sounds like fun.

I'll do my best to read it. :)

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1045 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Sean wrote: "the Good Doctor and his hulking companion"

That's definitely the pop-culture version as the original Hyde was smaller than Dr. Jekyll.

Anyhoo, sounds interesting. *Mirror Universe Sp..."

I took the 'Good Doctor and his hulking companion' to be a reference to Dr Frankenstein and his creation rather than Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde...?

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean | 350 comments It's Frankenstein. Even if the "constant thunderstorm" over the Good Doctor's house wasn't enough of a clue, the drawing (btw, the book includes pictures) of the Experiment Man makes it pretty clear.

Oh, other little detail - the book is narrated by a dog. His name is Snuff. His master's name is Jack.

message 6: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3951 comments ^Thanks peeps, I sit corrected. Haven't actually started this month's pick yet and am staying out of the main discussion threads.

As for A Night In the Lonesome October, my library has it and I am getting it soon.

message 7: by Wayne (new)

Wayne McCoy (geekwayne) | 44 comments I read this a few years ago during October and read one chapter per day. Sort of a countdown read to Halloween. I enjoyed it immensely and recommend it.

message 8: by Sean (new)

Sean | 350 comments I did that a year or so back. It was fun, and for the most part didn't interfere with any other reading, because the chapters are mostly short.

John (Taloni) wrote: "^Thanks peeps, I sit corrected."

To be honest, I kinda thought you were joking.

message 9: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3951 comments Got the book. It's in mini hardcover easily readable format.

Gonna power through the rest of this nanite themed thriller I'm reading (Silicon Blood,) then start in on this tomorrow.

message 10: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments My copy should be in town Tuesdayish.

message 11: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3951 comments I'm about halfway through. A slow, creepy build. Not so much plot as atmosphere. Reminds me of Bradbury and the Autumn People.

Minor spoilers below, just being courteous.

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Sean (last edited Oct 14, 2017 01:55PM) (new)

Sean | 350 comments (view spoiler)

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura (conundrum44) | 98 comments I read this a few months ago (not in October!) and TSCotAD reminded me of this in the crossover sense.

message 14: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments I started reading it last night, got through October 10th or so. I like the animal POV. I’m not sure where it’s going but I like the ride so far...

message 15: by Sean (new)

Sean | 350 comments Finished re-reading Sunday night. I could have given it another day, but I'd only been reading for maybe half an hour, and there were only thirty pages left, so I ended up powering through.

Here's my thoughts after finishing it.

(view spoiler)

message 16: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3951 comments I finished it up as well. I'll note that when it got moving, it REALLY got moving-fast.

Spoilers, I suppose...
(view spoiler)