Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > CEELEE'S SEPTEMBER READS

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 203 comments September has been a crazy month with so many tragic events happening while trying to keep up with work and my reading plans and other interests. I suffered a terrible personal loss when a close friend of mine died suddenly on September 22 and I am just now getting back to focusing on my own life. I talked to Val just about every day and she was a book lover too and I miss telling her about what I am reading so you lucky people get to hear it instead! :) I started a journal where I "talk" to Val every day and I think it has been a great help to have that outlet.

OK on to the topic at hand...
I managed to get 205 points at the end of the SRC Summer Challenge which was a personal goal. It is not nearly at the top and I know I will never reach over 1000 points except in my dreams but it felt good to get that eon goal accomplished. The Fall Challenge hasn't gone nearly as well as I have only read one book so far!

The first week I was finishing up the books I posted for the Summer Challenge. They have so many members you have to post early just on case there was a problem with the post and if you wait until the last minute you might not get the points.

One of my favorite books of the month was MANGO ELEPHANTS IN THE SUB: HOW MY LIFE IN AN AFRICAN VILLAGE LET ME BE IN MY SKIN by Susanna Herrera. It is about a Peace Corps volunteer who served as a teacher in a Cameroon village from 1992-94. Entertaining memoir with lots of great anecdotes and insights into the African culture. I laughed and cried, learned a lot and gained better understanding of what life is like for these people who love their entire lives in a small area of the world.

Mango Elephants in the Sun How Life in an African Village Let Me Be in My Skin by Susana Herrera

Another book i really loved was Z: A NOVEL OF ZELDA FITZGERALD by Therese Ann Fowler. I read a biography of her ages ago and had forgotten a lot of it. I totally loved Zelda! Scott? Not so much! What Zelda went through with that guy was more than any woman deserves. He was an arrogant, lazy drunk, celebrity wannabe who got some success and he thought he was the greatest American author ever, self absorbed, selfish r and he treated Zelda like she was the help and of course his arm candy. What a waste of a life! Poor Zelda got stuck with doctors who still had 19th century attitudes towards woman's health and treated her accordingly. She was misdiagnosed schizophrenic and this beautiful accomplished woman was Tucker away in an asylum for years and all l because Scott couldn't take the fact she made even the tiniest bit of success i her own life.
Z A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler

I also read a digital ARC of THE SHADOW LIST by Todd Moss from First To Read. Espionage is not my favorite genre but i liked it. I read his THE GOLDEN HOUR several years ago. The reason I liked it is the book wasn't as technically focused as some of those type of books are and it is more realistic to me because of Jude Ryker and his wife Jessica who are both working in sensitive careers where they must keep secrets form each other.
BTW if you ever thought about answering one of those emails that promise you millions form someone;s account who has died suddenly or something, the opening of this book will make you change your mind!

The Shadow List (Judd Ryker #4) by Todd Moss

I also read DEATH ON THE NILE by the great Agatha Christie. Always love her books with their twists and the many characters and to try to figure out whodunit! . I thought i had read this one but I think I only saw the movie! It is one of the Hercule Poirot mysteries and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17) by Agatha Christie

Finally I read BEHIND HER EYES by Susan Pinborough. I didn't like it at first. It is about a woman named Louise who has a one night stand with a guy she met in a bar and turns out he is her new boss. His wife finds out and makes friends with Louise so there is this weird kind of love triangle going on between with Louise, David and Adele. It took about half the book before the relationship just got darker and the people more crazy and it was hard to tell who was the craziest and the ending just blew me away and I never saw that one coming! Highly recommend!

Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough

That is it for lat month! Sorry for nay typos but I am in a hurry and not the best typist in the world!

HAPPY OCTOBER READING EVERYONE!!!!

message 2: by Susie (last edited Oct 05, 2017 11:45AM) (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1606 comments Ceelee, I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. I hope the journal writing helps you. I still have conversations with my stepson and dachshund that I lost last year. If it makes you feel better...do it :)
You read some interesting books this month. I have to check my book log for Death on the Nile, I think I may have read that one too.
I also need to look for Behind Her Eyes!

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1342 comments Ceelee, I’m so sorry about your friend. Good month. I didn’t care for Behind Her Eyes.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14273 comments Ceelee: I enjoyed reading your comments about each book, several sound quite interesting. I think I read Death on the Nile years ago, Agatha Christie books always seemed to be around the house growing up. Mango Elephants in the Sun: How Life in an African Village Let Me Be in My Skin particularly catches my eye. I like that sort of thought provoking book.
I am very sorry to hear of the sudden loss of your close friend; condolences to you and her family. I hope reading and writing about your books through your journal helps you as you grieve and I am glad we have the opportunity to talk about books here with you too.

message 5: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 203 comments Thanks everyone for the condolences. It was a pretty big shock to all of us who knew her.
I love reading all kinds of books but mystery is my favorite. After I read Mango Elephants In The Sun and it was so good I am determined to read more memoirs! I am also determined to read more Agatha Christie. She has maybe 78 mysteries and I have read maybe 20 at the most! I really thought Behind Her Eyes was terrible at first because it didn't seem to go much beyond the love ttiangle and I was thinking "Is this it?" but I am definitely glad I finished it. A different kind of book for sure!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14273 comments Ceelee: I try to mix in memoirs where i can between mysteries. Sometimes they don't resonate with me but so many do. The ones that don't are often too linear in the telling I think. I dropped one just last week that seemed promising but dragged. It was from a chef, I forget the title and will look it up. I have three active biographies/ memoirs in progress now. Which doesn't slow me down....
I picked up Art Garfunkel's What Is It All But Luminous: Notes From an Underground Man from the library today and it looks really good.

message 7: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 203 comments Oh that does sound interesting! I will have to.look it up..

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Hi Ceelee. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I can't imagine losing someone I talked to every day. I hope you find others to fill the void and that your journalling helps.

Your review of Behind Her Eyes sent me to the library website and I've reserved a copy.

Not a book, but a new movie version of Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie is coming out this fall. It might be fun to read the book again first, although since I already know that ending I probably won't. But you should!

message 9: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3597 comments A good month! So sorry for the loss of your friend. It's never easy to lose them, but particularly so when it is so unexpected.