Wordsmyth 101 discussion

General chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 15 comments Because we need this thread...

message 2: by T. (new)

T. (tjacksonking) | 36 comments Mod
Hi Will. Fully agree we need this thread! Tom.

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam Kates Hi, guys!

message 4: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 15 comments Hey, Sam's back!

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam Kates Hey, Will!

I posted this on the checking-in thread, but will repeat it here in case not everyone visits both:

'Don't know if I'll make it here much, but I'll try to be more regular than I was on the Amazon forums.

I tend to visit Goodreads fairly regularly as I sometimes post blogs from my website on here as well. By the way, I've given a shout out to a few authors from our group in some of my blog posts. I'll continue to do when relevant to what the post is about.'

So far, both you and Tom have received a mention, along with a few others. I've not yet written a fantasy post - when I do, a few more will get a mention. Mind, I don't know how many readers visit the blog. I'm engaged in an ongoing battle with marketing, which I posted about today.

message 6: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments Hi everyone!

Hugs

Kellie

message 7: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments Good afternoon all! The coffee, hot chocolate, iced tea and iced coffee are made. The water is also on for hot tea. There is also lots of goodies with and without sugar and zero-calories.

Hugs

Kellie

message 8: by T. (new)

Kellie super thanks for starting our discussion comments with your classic Coffee and Yummies post! Just right. Everyone, let's have more of our chatting be in this Discussion portion of Wordsmyth 101. Anyone new can of course do the Check In posting. I am happy to see both threads being used for sharing. Tom.

message 9: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments T. wrote: "Kellie super thanks for starting our discussion comments with your classic Coffee and Yummies post! Just right. Everyone, let's have more of our chatting be in this Discussion portion of Wordsmyth ..."

You’re welcome Tom! We still need our goodies. 😃

Hugs

Kellie

message 10: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 15 comments I do! I've been outside all morning rewiring the stable block to provide light down there now that the evenings are getting dark.

And I'll be very quiet all weekend as my son is getting married tomorrow

message 11: by T. (new)

Will! Super congrats on your son getting married! That is wonderful. Have a great time and we look forward to hearing 'the details' of how the ceremony went and where the young couple go on their honeymoon, their jobs, whatever family stuff you wish to share! Tom.

message 12: by T. (new)

Everyone, let's chat! First, does anyone have a movie they've seen recently that they like? I am wondering what the new Avengers Unite movie will be like. Hope Wonder Woman has a big role! However the new Thor movie where he faces off against the Hulk looks beyond hokey. Has anyone read a review of that one? To state the obvious, I do like superhero movies! Tom.

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Ebel | 21 comments Yo, everyone! Glad to see we can link up somewhere. Although, GR is one of my least favorite places!!!

My life has been off the graph lately and I've been MIA.

Anyway, glad to see 'ya all and so sorry to find out that Amazon is rerouting folks off of their platform. Of course, they own GR!

message 14: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments Will wrote: "I do! I've been outside all morning rewiring the stable block to provide light down there now that the evenings are getting dark.

And I'll be very quiet all weekend as my son is getting married to..."

Will,

Congrats on your son getting married! Have fun at the wedding! 🥂🤵🏼👰🏼

Hugs

Kellie

message 15: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments T. wrote: "Everyone, let's chat! First, does anyone have a movie they've seen recently that they like? I am wondering what the new Avengers Unite movie will be like. Hope Wonder Woman has a big role! However ..."

Tom,

I like superhero movies too. I haven’t seen anything for the new Thor movie yet.

Hugs

Kellie

message 16: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments Barbara wrote: "Yo, everyone! Glad to see we can link up somewhere. Although, GR is one of my least favorite places!!!

My life has been off the graph lately and I've been MIA.

Anyway, glad to see 'ya all and so ..."

Hi Doctor Barbara! It’s good to see you!

Hugs

Kellie

message 17: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments Good morning/afternoon all! The coffee, hot chocolate, iced tea and iced coffee are made. The water is also on for hot tea. There is also lots of goodies with and without sugar and zero-calories.

TGIF

Hugs

Kellie

message 18: by T. (new)

Kellie thanks for the movie comment. I've seen a few short previews of the Thor movie which features him battling the Hulk in an Asgard type setting. Ho hum.
Simone sent me an email saying she would not join because she hates Goodreads. I do understand.
Barbara, welcome! Glad you could check in. And yes, I too do not like Goodreads very much. The site has lots of trolls who post bad reviews on people's books. And finding your way around is hard. It took me awhile to figure out how to get emails of postings by everyone here.
I'll be sending notes to my thread friends on Facebook inviting them to drop in and join us. We'll see if this venue 'works'. Tom.

message 19: by Shay (new)

Shay VanZwoll (evanzwoll) | 2 comments *sneaks in to this group too with penguins and a doormat*

message 20: by Holly (new)

Holly Barbo (hollybarbo) | 6 comments Hi all. Not sure how often I’ll drop in. Good to be here. What’s up?

message 21: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Ebel | 21 comments Tom, I think I will more often check the FB Wordsmyth site.

I am already missing the easy format of our Amazon threads. :(

I hope you and Sue are doing fine. I just checked your latest series and the rankings seem to be hanging in there. Way to go!

I'm not getting any writing done. I am so far behind on everything, it's not funny. My computer was in the shop for days and it's still not working as well as it should.

It's always something. All we can do is trudge forward. :)

message 22: by L. M. (new)

L. M. Beyer | 3 comments Hi, friends,

Dropped by after checking up on the UK discussion forums. I think they may also get shut down. The announcement I saw was labeled as official, and was posted by The Amazon Team. However, the only place I saw it was on the kindle discussion forum index. The date given for closing the forum was October 13. Very strange and very puzzling the way they announced it. It looked genuine, though.

I haven't been doing much writing either. One of these days...

message 23: by T. (new)

Barbara what is the link/address to the Facebook Wordsmyth location? Would like to visit it.
Louise, Shay and Holly, glad to see you three! Hope we can continue to chat and visit like we used to. Tom.

message 24: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments Shay wrote: "*sneaks in to this group too with penguins and a doormat*"

Hi Shay! Glad to see you!

Hugs

Kellie

message 25: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments Holly wrote: "Hi all. Not sure how often I’ll drop in. Good to be here. What’s up?"

Hi Holly! It’s good to see you. Glad you dropped in.

Hugs

Kellie

message 26: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments L. M. wrote: "Hi, friends,

Dropped by after checking up on the UK discussion forums. I think they may also get shut down. The announcement I saw was labeled as official, and was posted by The Amazon Team. Howev..."

Hi L.M.! Good to see you. Glad you dropped by.

Hugs

Kellie

message 27: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments Sorry I wasn’t online today. Hubby and I went to my college for family and alumni day. Saw. Few friends years. Had a great time.

Hugs

Kellie

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Ebel | 21 comments T. wrote: "Barbara what is the link/address to the Facebook Wordsmyth location? Would like to visit it.
Louise, Shay and Holly, glad to see you three! Hope we can continue to chat and visit like we used to. Tom."

Good morning everyone! Here's the link on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/65570...

message 29: by L. M. (new)

L. M. Beyer | 3 comments I just now learned two things about a Goodreads discussion that are very useful to know as the thread gets longer: (1) right at the top of the thread it tells me how many new comments there are, and (2) there is a "reply" button for each comment. :)

message 30: by Holly (new)

Holly Barbo (hollybarbo) | 6 comments Kellie wrote: "Holly wrote: "Hi all. Not sure how often I’ll drop in. Good to be here. What’s up?"

Hugs

Kellie"

Thanks Kellie. Trying to catch up on everyday life stuff. I've started another book but it is gathering dust as I triage. My silence doesn't mean I'm not thinking of you all.

message 31: by Holly (new)

Holly Barbo (hollybarbo) | 6 comments T. wrote: "Barbara what is the link/address to the Facebook Wordsmyth location? Would like to visit it.
Louise, Shay and Holly, glad to see you three! Hope we can continue to chat and visit like we used to. Tom."

Thanks Tom. Trying to get the rhythm of this format.

message 32: by T. (new)

Barbara thanks for the link to the Starship Wordsmyth group on FB. I've applied for entry. Tom.

message 33: by T. (new)

Holly me too re the rhythm of this Goodreads chat format. We'll see how it goes. Tom.

message 34: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments Holly wrote: "Kellie wrote: "Holly wrote: "Hi all. Not sure how often I’ll drop in. Good to be here. What’s up?"

Hugs

Kellie"

Thanks Kellie. Trying to ca..."

😘

Hugs

Kellie

message 35: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments T. wrote: "Barbara thanks for the link to the Starship Wordsmyth group on FB. I've applied for entry. Tom."

I added you Tom,

Hugs

Kellie

message 36: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 79 comments Good afternoon all! The coffee, hot chocolate, iced tea and iced coffee are made. The water is also on for hot tea. There is also lots of goodies with and without sugar and zero-calories.

Hugs

Kellie

message 37: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 15 comments Wedding report... Now that i have recovered.

All went reasonably well, with no overt violence or fist fights! The evening band were, let's say dodgy. But after the guests had been refreshed at the bar, most didn't mind too much.

After the wedding, I suddenly discovered that the venue was only a few miles from South Cadbury Hill Fort, argued by many to be real site of King Arthur's castle of Camelot. Couldn't resist climbing the path through the remains of the defences to stand where Arthur would have stood to watch for the coming of the Saxons... I'll put some pics on Facebook tomorrow

message 38: by T. (new)

Kellie wrote: "T. wrote: "Barbara thanks for the link to the Starship Wordsmyth group on FB. I've applied for entry. Tom."

I added you Tom,

Hugs

Kellie"
Kellie thanks for your snacks and drinks reminder! Part of what we appreciate about your presence here. Tom.

message 39: by T. (new)

Will congrats on the wedding going off so great. Also I envy you climbing and standing on the actual King Arthur hill fort from, maybe, 600 AD based on what I've read. What do you know of the 'age' of the fort you climbed? Tom.

message 40: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Ebel | 21 comments Will, sounds like you had a super day at the wedding and doing that trail. What fun!

message 41: by Ch'kara (new)

Ch'kara SilverWolf (chkara) | 14 comments Will wrote: "Wedding report... Now that i have recovered.

All went reasonably well, with no overt violence or fist fights! The evening band were, let's say dodgy. But after the guests had been refreshed at the..."

Will the wedding sounds like it went well. Did you climb and watch the sun rise.

message 42: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 15 comments Ch'Kara, I couldn't get up early enough to see the sunrise. Actually the attempt would have been wasted, as the morning mist didn't burn of until I was almost at the site anyway.

Tom, the fort is very old. Originally Neolithic, I believe. Most hillforts were started about 3000 BC, and in the UK were then occupied continuously until the Roman Conquest, when South Cadbury was stormed, from my reading I would assume by Vespasian's 2 Legion. Probably by Vespasian himself. The fort was then less occupied or unoccupied until the Legions withdrew around 340, when the locals again needed a safe place in case of Danish & Viking incursions. it's a great location as the Fosse Way
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fosse_Way ( the first and most important of the great Roman Roads in the UK) runs about 6 miles from the Western Ramparts. Whether this was Camelot or not, I've no doubt Arthur would have been there at some time.

message 43: by T. (new)

Will many thanks for the info on the hill fort. Wow. Very neat to have a site going back to the Neolithic near you. And great info on Vespasian's attack and presence in Britain. I enjoy learning ancient history like this. Many thanks! Tom.

message 44: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 15 comments We're lucky to have so much ancient history all around us here. Hillforts, standing stones and roman ruins are everywhere, not to mention the norman era castles. I live about 40 minutes drive from the Roman's main Gold Mine in Britain - as you can imagine, they had a serious military presence in the area

message 45: by T. (new)

Trust the Romans to know where the gold is located! Very neat info Will. When Sue and I visit the 'island' I hope we can head south to your area to visit with you and Sam. Our first overseas trip is aimed for visiting Scotland, due to Sue's Stewart family name heritage. Sometime next year I guess. Will keep you posted! Tom.

message 46: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 15 comments When planning such a trip Tom, be aware that for a very small island it can take a very long time to drive from one end to the other!

message 47: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 15 comments Oh, and in Scotland, if a road is closed (accident, storm, landslide or flood,) the diversion can easily be 70 or 80 miles and take several hours...

The mountains don't half get in the way!

message 48: by T. (new)

Will thanks for the travel warnings! I expect us to fly into Scotland and then maybe take the train south to central England and Wales. We'll see what the prices are! Tom.

message 49: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 15 comments Then as a further piece of info, if you book a train journey at less than 24 hours notice, the prices can be extortionate!

You can work out options, routes and current prices via www.trainline.com

message 50: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Ebel | 21 comments Tom...are you and Sue going to Scotland?

I love it there. You must go to Edinburgh...it's fanstastic and very different than most cities. Also, there is a church up in the northern islands of Orkney and it is my favorite church in the whole world. The Magnus Cathedral/Church.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Magn...

Everyone have a great day. My honey is going to San Antonio for an air force reunion tomorrow and maybe I'll get back into my wip!

« previous 1 3 4