Support for Indie Authors discussion

Writing Process & Programs > Natural Reader: Who knew?!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyra (last edited Oct 04, 2017 10:09PM) (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments Natural Reader Rocks! I had zero knowledge about this app untill a couple of awesome indie author friends of mine told be they use it. I was skeptical at first, cause I figured it would be way too robotic sounding, and I couldn't imagine it could translate sci-fi or fantasy names and titles all that well, but it's surprisingly not bad!

I listened to the second book in my Shiva series and was totally surprised at how many words and named it actually pronounced correctly, or semi correctly. Ok, it gets robotic at times, and it pronounced my villain's name like "y'all," which made me giggle thinking he's from Georgia... But it actually sounded pretty clear and good.

I'm definitely going to use this program for future books in the editing process when I want to hear if it flows right. It's always a pain to read out loud, so... Useful!!

I still prefer reading books myself the old fashioned way, but for author purposes, I think this app is a must have! So, if you don't have it, get it! :)

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (christineroney) | 3 comments Lyra, I hadn't heard about Natural Reader until I read your post. Thank you! I plan on using it during the editing process.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll give it a look/read/listen. Sounds interesting.

message 4: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Skilton | 17 comments Nice find! An excellent tool to add to the toolbox.

message 5: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments Christine wrote: "Lyra, I hadn't heard about Natural Reader until I read your post. Thank you! I plan on using it during the editing process."

You're welcome! It's totally worth it! 😃

message 6: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Most Kindles also have text to speech capabilities. That's what I use for my final proofing rounds to get everything my human eyes miss. Google books will also read aloud, but you need a separate device to read along on because it doesn't turn the pages at the right time. I've actually noticed that the more robotic the voice, the easier it is to catch mistakes.

message 7: by Lyra (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments Christina wrote: "I've actually noticed that the more robotic the voice, the easier it is to catch mistakes."

Really? I don't know... I find it hard to listen if the voice is too robotic. Some aren't as bad as others.

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) With the robotic voice, I'm listening to the words themselves, whereas listening to a more natural voice puts me into the story, so I am just as likely to incorrectly hear what my mind thinks is right instead of what is written as I am to do the same when I am reading myself.

message 9: by Lyra (last edited Oct 10, 2017 08:06PM) (new)

Lyra Shanti (lyrashanti) | 126 comments Yeah, I get that idea, but I just don't hear it right if it sounds too robotic.