The NoSleep Podcast Book Club discussion

House of Leaves: Introduction

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Desdymona (new)

Desdymona | 53 comments Mod
Firstly, this is my second read of the book, and it has been well over five years so I have forgot plenty since then. I will start threads like I did on the last book, if no one else beats me to it. I don't mind but feel free to start your own too. :P

I feel like this intro would make for a nice thread on the subreddit, I know it would be like pt1/ (7 bajillion trillion), but the flow of Johnny's words work well in that way.

Some musing I had while reading:

The part about Zampano as a nom de plume or guerre is a great way to contrast Johnny's character so far with what we know of Zampano. Bringing to mind the adage the pen is mightier than the sword. Johnny prefers the sword; while Zampano seems to be obsessed with writing. And as soon as the end of this intro Johnny is understanding, the power of the pen.

I, like our narrator would have trouble taking the warnings seriously, wouldn't you?

Interesting note the Works of Hubert Howe Bancroft, Volume XXVIII does exist and is a history of the NW Coast.

In my Googling of these references I found the idea that Quesada and Molina could be a reference to Don Quixote, and I hope to find more. :D

The closing paragraph was wildly powerful for me. Personally, I think that aptly describes the onset of depress or anxiety. As someone who completely understands how a rational person could become a complete shut-in, I would have to say that is a great example of the train of thought that leads there.

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica McEvoy | 105 comments Mod
Inda wrote: "I feel like this intro would make for a nice thread on the subreddit, I know it would be like pt1/ (7 bajillion trillion), but the flow of Johnny's words work well in that way."

I definitely felt some old school r/nosleep vibes while reading. "Hey guys, I found this creepy thing and now stuff is getting weird." It especially reminds me of the days back before it became a default subreddit. There was very much a sense of community involvement. With ongoing posts that would turn into "Penpal" or "The Story of Her Holding an Orange," people would offer their support and services to OP to try to help solve the mystery. I feel like the formatting of House of Leaves is trying to accomplish just that - making the book less a passive experience and more of an interactive mystery.

"The part about Zampano as a nom de plume or guerre is a great way to contrast Johnny's character so far with what we know of Zampano. Bringing to mind the adage the pen is mightier than the sword. Johnny prefers the sword; while Zampano seems to be obsessed with writing. And as soon as the end of this intro Johnny is understanding, the power of the pen."

I noticed this theme occurring later on in the novel as well. In Chapter 4 of The Navidson Report section, an excerpt from a fictional article is included: "'To read' actually comes from the Latin reri 'to calculate, to think' which is not only a progenitor of 'read' but of 'reason' as well, both of which hail from the Greek arariskein 'to fit.' Aside from giving us 'reason,' arariskein also gives us an unlikely sibling, Latin arma meaning 'weapons.'" So again there is the juxtaposition of reading/writing and weaponry.

message 3: by Desdymona (new)

Desdymona | 53 comments Mod
My husband still likes to occasionally taunt me with oranges. Should I worry?

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica McEvoy | 105 comments Mod
Only if he leaves them in your bed without acknowledging their existence.