World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Book and Film Discussions > October 2017 Group Read Author Interview: Nik Krasno

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Thank you, Nik, for taking the time to participate in our interview and help people get to know you better.

Members: If you have any follow-up questions for Nik, please feel free to post them.

Tell us about your writing. Please answer at least 10 of the following questions.
Why do you write?
At first, I thought I had a story that deserved to be told for the world to know about unbelievable/unique things that were happening behind the iron curtain. Since I never thought I was a writer, I'd recruited/enthused a non-fiction published writer and more importantly - a close friend to collaborate on the project. Afterwards - I simply got addicted to writing stuff, but it seems I'm clean now -:)

What are your ambitions for your writing career?
Not to spend too much time/money on trying to get sales moving maybe? No ambitions at this stage, but I'm not against any pleasant surprises -:)

What books have you written?
'Rise of an Oligarch' with the one and only - Carlito Sofer (now a best-selling UK non -fic author under his real name); 'Mortal Showdown'; 'Be First or Be Dead', where I host a guest-star UK thriller author - Alex Shaw, who was kind enough to write a chapter according to given general outline; and 'One Crazy Week' - a short for an anthology that we've managed to launch here on the WWW group - 'No Bounds'.

What genre(s) are your books in?
Historical/contemporary fic for real events being plot's backdrop, thriller and action

How do you withstand critiques of your masterpiece?
I hope - pretty well -:) Excited to hear back that someone enjoyed reading a book, but equally interested to learn what didn't work and why. Indifference, internet silence is much worse anyway.
:
Do you put messages in the books you write and, if yes, what are they?
Maybe not precisely - messages, as it would be preaching which readers don't like, but I hope that (thought) - provocative situs and themes I choose and describe instigate some deliberations over core values and the world we live in.

Put yourself in the place of a reader (not easy, I know). Why would s/he want to read or have to read your book?
I believe I offer some unique insight into former USSR and its now independent republics, its processes, mentality as well as into general international biz and its ethics (absence thereof). Plus - I hope some of the stuff is quite entertaining for those who like it in more in -your- face and brazen style.
I imagine that those who can't stand offensive lingo mixed with too sophisticated one or more than a couple Russian names in the story, might not want to touch my stuff -:)

Who are your bestselling competitors in the genre and what can you offer that they can’t?
There are few popular stories about oligarchs and similar themes - for example 'Once upon a time in Russia' by Ben Mezrich (non - fic), however if I aimed to compete with someone - I'd probably choose Quentin and Guy Ritchie (visual, I know) for raw fun, violence and entertainment or Irvine Welsh for his humorous, lowlife approach and flawed, yet likeable characters. I imagine they shouldn't be budged by my modest competing efforts though -:)

I should also mention Nabokov, who excelled in writing in English although it wasn't his native tongue.

The visual is encroaching on the written word. Do you think the written word will retreat and disappear or remain steady?
I'm little pessimistic here. As in medieval times - few were literate, we might return to the same ratio (not literally)

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Make money elsewhere and then come enjoy being a writer -:)What are your recommendations for reading and why? For example, which book do you consider a must-read (apart from your own, as it's a must-must, of course -:))?
I thought "The Master and Margarita" by Bulgakov was quite potent and read it a few times in the past. Loved "City of Thieves" by Benioff for although the plotline is a bit ludicrous, it's masterfully and touchingly written. Jack London is a master of shorts in my opinion. And I can probably mention tons of excellent books and authors in thriller, sci-fi/fantasy and adventure genres..

What non-writing-related things would you like to say about yourself.
I like traveling and exploring the world, exposure to different cultures, cuisines, sceneries and ways of life. Some of the visited places, in their turn, travel further into the fictional stuff I write.
Waiting for availability of accessible space travel. Hope Branson and Musk move fast -:)

Where can readers connect with you?
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nik_Krasno
Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Nik-Krasno/e/B0...
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/profile/vi...
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 2: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5976 comments Thanks for the interview, Nik. Writing seems to be more of a hobby for you. It sounds like you may be done with it. I know that happens with writers, composers, artists. Do you think you've said all you want to in the form of fiction?

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15382 comments Scout wrote: "Thanks for the interview, Nik. Writing seems to be more of a hobby for you. It sounds like you may be done with it. I know that happens with writers, composers, artists. Do you think you've said all you want to in the form of fiction? "

I have some ideas in fiction and a dormant project in non-fic, but currently it's not the best time for me to see them through. Anyways, not hanging up my boots yet -:)
If doing something, I'm more into 'production', like doing a literary '4 rooms', if you watched this movie

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5976 comments Haven't heard about it but will look around.

When you write, are you at a desk in certain room, or can you write anywhere?

message 5: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 15382 comments Scout wrote: "Haven't heard about it but will look around.

When you write, are you at a desk in certain room, or can you write anywhere?"

Yeah, I write in my study/office, but often I used to write down on my cell phone notes ideas or scenes even that popped into my mind whilst elsewhere. I regard those pieces when something just 'dawns you' and you just feel they are perfectly fit as the best..