Gods of Howl Mountain Gods of Howl Mountain discussion

Angela, Esil and Diane discuss

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Diane S ☔ Starting October 9th.

Esil I might start tonight. There are 30 chapters. Comment after every 10 chapters?

Have a great Sunday, ladies! We're having a family long weekend in the country for Canadian Thanksgiving.

Diane S ☔ Sounds wonderful, Esil. Happy Thanksgiving and hope you have a wonderful time at the cabin.

Ten chapters sounds fine.

Angela M Ten is perfect . I’ll start today .
Happy Thanksgiving, Esil . Enjoy- sounds wonderful!

Esil Thanks to both of you! I started early this morning and already quite liking it.

Diane S ☔ Blessed relief, writing that pulls one in, descriptions that make you feel as if you are there, part of the story. Since moonshine nd revenuers are involved, this will probably be quite violent and gritty.
Have only read a few chapters, will be back after the ten.

Angela M Alleluia! My visitors are gone. Starting now!

Esil Lol, Angela! I won't tell your visitors :)

Esil Just found finished chapter 10. This is my first time reading this author. I'm loving the characters, especially Rory and his grandmother. And the writing is really good. The setting and the themes feel pretty familiar. I'm curious to see where the author takes them.

Diane S ☔ Finished too. Angela and I have read his other two books and loved them. He takes you deep inside his stories, and his writing is gorgeous. Love Rory and Grandma too, moonshining ng, the Korean War, auto racing, corrupt cops, revenuers and a possible revenge factor. So much yet it doesn't seem cluttered. Love these types of gritty novels of times gone by.

Angela M I got things done in the house and then took a nap instead of reading. I’ve read 4 chapters and will read the others tonight. I’ll come back with thoughts .
I’m so glad that you are both enjoying it after our last two attempts. I’m liking it too . I love his writing.
Esil , I loved Fallen Land his first novel and definitely liked the second but not as much .

message 12: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Oct 10, 2017 05:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane S ☔ I actually loved his second more than the first, so there I guess Angela and I differ. Still I love this author.

Having guests staying does tire one out. Have to be on all the time.

Angela M Esil , you’ll have to read both of them now to see which you like best !

Third time is a charm for sure . After reading the first ten chapters, I am so enthralled with his writing. His command of the language with perfectly placed adjectives not flowery language but so very descriptive.
I also like Rory and Granny a lot . I like the flashbacks which to me have seemed pretty seamless giving us a look at Rory’s time in Korea and what Granny has to do to raise him.

I love that it is interspersed with Bonni’s story which seems a sad one .
Can’t wait to see what happens with Rory and green eyed Christine.

I’m up to chapter 15 and will comment on the second 10 when I finish.

So glad we got a good one !

message 14: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil It seems like I will definitely need to read his two previous books!

I finished chapter 20 this morning. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the writing, Angela.

And I'm finding that the story is growing on me. There's something really atmospheric about how it's told. I feel this odd impending sense of doom -- especially after the scene with Rory and Christine's father. It feels like these characters live in a world where they have to invent their own rules to survive, but chances of survival and the quality of survival are pretty precarious.

I also really like the parts dealing with Rory's mother. I still really like grandma, but, yikes, what did she put in that cake???

One question: I thought prohibition would have been over by the time the book takes place. Any thoughts on why the sale of alcohol is done through contraband in North Carolina at that time?

I have a busy day today with little reading time, but expect to be done tomorrow morning.

Already thinking about our November read...

Angela M I have an ominous feeling too , Esil .

Not sure about the prohibition thing. I’ll look it up .

Angela M From what I could gather , even though prohibition was over by the 1950’s when the story takes place , moonshine was illegal.

message 17: by Angela M (last edited Oct 10, 2017 12:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Angela M It certainly wasn’t taxed and I guess was pretty potent, which may not have been legal.

message 18: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Thanks for your research, Angela!!! That makes a lot of sense.*

Angela M Must be that research librarian in me - can't help myself but to look it up - lol !

Angela M There's also a connection between the auto racing and moonshine.
https://www.ncpedia.org/moonshine

The article mentions Junior Johnson who Rory meets up with in ch 18 .

Angela M I finished the second ten . Still like the writing and I'm very much into the story . I like the interjection of the humor with the references to Granny and Eustace's sex lives and I love Granny's attracts Eli. Think he'll give in -lol ,

I'll finish tonight.

message 22: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Oct 10, 2017 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane S ☔ Finished the next ten as well. Knew auto racing came from the rum runners, my hubby is a big Nascar fan. Boy, granny is sure a randy one. Though it feels strange to think of her as old as she is only in her fifties. Love all the mountain home remedies. enjoyed that part with the cake. Do you think, the preacher is the right one eyed man? A twist on the Fugitive. Feel so for poor Bonnie. Love how tough granny is.

Angela M I finished it and have to admit I was surprised about Eustace. I didn't expect it. Whew - what a ride through these last chapters! I almost thought Rory would be done in ! Brown is quite a story teller. Did you notice in the end note that he thanks Wiley Cash for his support? Nice .

4+ stars and trying to decide if I'll round up . I'll know when I'm writing my review.

Looking forward to your final thoughts.

message 24: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I've been a bit interrupted in the flow of my reading. I should finish later today. Looking forward to your final thoughts in your review, Angela.

Also, feel free to start bidding on our next read!

Angela M I just finished writing my review but will wait to post for you both to comment on the last chapters .

message 26: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil No need to wait for me, Angela!

Diane S ☔ Yes, go ahead and post Angela. I have finished but it will be a few days until I review as I am behind in my reviews. The way this author pulls you into the story, wherever it is based,makes you feel as if you are there. A true talent. Yeah , shocker for sure. Probably why he looked out for Rory, guilt and all for money. The snake though, shivers, hate snakes. Justice in the end. Gritty and rough, but I loved it too. At least it had layers, depth. Will rateit four stars. River of Kings is still my favorite.

message 28: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Thoughts for our next book:

Brass: A Novel

The Ice House

The Music Shop

Sadness Is a White Bird: A Novel

Freshwater

But I'm open to all suggestions!

Diane S ☔ Let's try Ice House if Angela has it.

Angela M I’m have Brass , The Music Shop or Sadness is a White Bird and I’m up for any of those.

I didn’t request the other two for some reason but I’ll have to check them out - lol! Just what I need more books !

Angela M Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Looking forward to yours!

Angela M Great !

message 34: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Looking forward to it!

message 35: by Esil (last edited Oct 12, 2017 05:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Just posted my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

That was quite the ending! I must admit that I got a bit tired of the chasing and fighting toward the end -- not really my thing. But otherwise I really enjoyed it. I'm going to have to read Brown's two earlier books to see which one I prefer.

Have an excellent Thursday and I'm looking forward to our next read!

Angela M Excellent review!
Hope you gave a good day too .

My sister went to the ER by ambulance last night . Had a racing heart beat . Not sure yet what caused it. She was better last night but they kept her in for observation and a nuclear stress test today . She had a mild heart attack several years ago so they wanted to keep her overnight to see what was going on .

Bob and I went to the hospital last night and I’ll be leaving shortly to go there . She’s a widow . Has two adult children but her daughter is pregnant and my sister doesn’t want her to go up - wise I think . Her son went into work for a little bit since she’s doing ok now but I don’t want her to be alone so I’m off .

message 37: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I'm so sorry to hear about your sister, Angela. That sounds really scary, especially given her history. I'm glad you're able to be with her today. I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. Keep us posted.

Diane S ☔ Angela, how scary, you must be so worried. Hugs to you and prayers for her recovery and for some good news. As Lise, said keep us informed.

Angela M Esil and Diane,
Thanks . I’ll keep you posted . She’s resting now waiting to go for a test . So I have my phone and my kindle to keep occupied but I just wanted her to have someone here .

Angela M Just wanted to let you know that all of my sister's heart tests came out normal . They don't know why her heart was racing. They are keeping her another night to do repeat blood work . If everything checks out she can be released tomorrow and follow up with her cardiologist. So good news but it would be good to have an answer.

Taylor Brown just commented on my review! 😍

Diane S ☔ So glad, Angela. You must be so relieved.

Love when authors do that, so special. Kudos to you.

Lise, how was your time at the cabin?

message 42: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Angela -- that's great news about your sister. You and your family must be so relieved.

The cabin was lovely. The leaves are starting to turn and we had great weather. Nice family time with my husband, kids and mother.

I try to be mindful that writers might read my reviews, but in trying be honest some reviews that are inevitably quite critical. I recently had a GR member leave a comment on one of my fairly negative reviews saying that the author had mentioned what I said at some event where she was publicizing her book. Apparently she had a good sense of humour about the fact that I called her book "a bit of a hot mess" :)

Diane S ☔ What book was that, Lise?

I was a little more critical than usual in my review of Exquisite.

message 44: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil The Change Room. I called it a "draggy mess":

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Angela M Glad you had a nice time , Esil .

I try not to criticize the author if I’m saying something negative about the book . Once I gave up on a book made a comment that it was meandering and disjointed and I wasn’t going to finish it . The author sent me a friend request and said he was sorry I didn’t like his book !

message 46: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I try hard not to make my criticism about the author, but I suspect that having put so much work into writing a book, many writers take any criticism of their books very personally.

Angela M Diane , in you review, you say South Carolina but I believe that it's North Carolina.

Angela M Just wanted to let you both know that my sister came home from the hospital today . They ruled out any heart related issue , although sounds odd since her heart was racing. She will follow up with her primary care doctor and her cardiologist for her peace of mind .

Diane S ☔ Here is the link to our next read.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 50: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil Great. Looking forward to it. Thanks Diane.

And Angela, I just realized that I didn't respond to the good news about your sister. I hope she is still doing well.

« previous 1